• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HRA: Easter 2013 - Best Check-In Day for Cheap Airfare

komosatp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Next year I'm aiming to do Harborside the week after Easter, arriving Harborside on Easter Sunday, or thereabouts. Which check-in day will be best to get the cheapest airfare? (I'll be calling at 8:59 AM at 12 months to book)

And to pay it forward: if you're school break is the week BEFORE Easter, then the Friday before (Good Friday) looks to be the cheapest travel day for airfare....I was following fares for this week (for 2012) in 2011, but then the school system changed when it has spring break in 2013. It used to be the week before Easter, but for 2103 it will be the week after. So I lost the opportunity to follow prices for this period since the system just made this change.

Last edited:

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, the only thing more confusing than timeshare exchanges may be airline fee structures! Too many variables to even try to guess. Maybe the people over at flyertalk.com might have a better idea.

komosatp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm hoping for some conventional wisdom, like at Christmas, when traveling *ON* Christmas Day is usually the cheapest. So is there a comparable day for Easter?

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually Fridays and Sundays are pricier to fly than Saturdays - at least for domestic flights - because people who travel for a weekend will fly out on Friday and return on Sunday. So if your trip has a domestic leg, that may make it cheaper to fly on Saturday. But for vacations people prefer Saturday to Saturday check-in, because they only need five workdays off and they get another day at home before returning to work or school. I don't know that would impact Bahamas fares and make it more expensive to fly on Saturday. I would book either Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday. It is possible that flying Easter Sunday is cheaper because people want to be home with families that day.

Compare the fares for this year to get a clue - check out Easter week fares for 2012.

Last edited:

komosatp

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the booking window for my trip opened. Here are the opening bids RT DCA->NAS, non stop:

3/29 -> 4/5 (Friday to Friday): $384
3/30 -> 4/6: $398
3/31 -> 4/7: $363

Last edited:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not horrible for a holiday week. Seems to be only about $100 over normal, right?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not even $100. I haven't had a sub-$300 spring-break trip in more than 5 years.

:bawl: must be nice to be on the east coast...

Fares from our corner of the world to the Bahamas at that time of the year are well over $1,100ea. :eek:

If we make our own way across to Seattle, then the prices are only $650ea. Gotta love the "taxes" and "fees" and exorbitant domestic airfare prices within Canada -- essentially $450ea to just get across the border.

All the more reason to collect and use as many points as possible...

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the booking window for my trip opened. Here are the opening bids RT DCA->NAS, non stop:

3/29 -> 4/5 (Friday to Friday): $384
3/30 -> 4/6: $398

Not bad. I would book them, Detroit-NAS is usually $400+ when it opens up. Just looked $600-700 YIKES!

I think we are going to go Thurs-Thurs(great thing with points) a few days in Orlando(debating using DVC or Wyndham) then we have 5 nights in a DVC Vero Beach 3br Beach Cottage.

Last edited:

komosatp

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the more reason to collect and use as many points as possible...
My fist five or so trips I used miles....but then FF rules were changed and you can't get decent priced miles tickets on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday during the high season.

I think we are going to go Thurs-Thurs(great thing with points) a few days in Orlando(debating using DVC or Wyndham) then we have 5 nights in a DVC Vero Beach 3br Beach Cottage.
Harborside only has check-in days on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, so being flexible like that isn't an option. Maybe during off season you'd be able to book with StarOptions, but I think it's incredibly hard to get HRA during spring break...if possible at all.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
My fist five or so trips I used miles....but then FF rules were changed and you can't get decent priced miles tickets on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday during the high season.

Harborside only has check-in days on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, so being flexible like that isn't an option. Maybe during off season you'd be able to book with StarOptions, but I think it's incredibly hard to get HRA during spring break...if possible at all.

I know that's why I tend to use my DVC points for spring break if we don't go skiing at LT. For some reason Detroit-Denver for spring break is usually very well priced for Sunday flights, since LT is Sunday only check in. I've paid under $400pp for flights to Denver(not crack of the am flights and this is on Delta too).

We looked at buying HRA a few years ago, but the ability to get to NAS easily put me off(only direct flight to NAS on Sat from DTW, and that books up right at 331, :hysterical: at trying to use miles).

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

We haven't run in to that exact issue.

Our problem is usually with Aeroplan (AirCanada), we can find flights, but they don't usually offer more than 2 seats in Business Class at a time, and there are 3 of us travelling.

We have better luck with Aeroplan on to another Star Alliance carrier. They don't seem to be as stingy about how many seats are open for points bookings.

So far, not as bad with Economy bookings, just weirder routings sometimes.

Another part of the problem is our location -- we have to fly to one of three hubs (Vancouver, Calgary, or sometimes Toronto) before we can get out the rest of the way, and quite often the planes to these hubs are small, so very few seats available for points bookings.