• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do you pack a man's suit for air travel?

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to pack a man's suit for air travel? This is not a short flight. We are flying from Michigan to Hawaii with one stopover in Phoenix.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. My future son-in-law bought a new suit for the wedding (my daughter's) and now he is fretting about how to keep it in tip top shape. He's hoping he doesn't have to get it pressed when we get to Hawaii.

Any tips from the seasoned air travelers out there?

Thanks,
Diane in Michigan

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Honestly - I'd tell him to take it back and buy a nice Aloha Shirt on Kauai. For the most part, people do not wear suits for beach weddings in Hawaii.

Here is a typical Hawaiian wedding look:

beach%20gown%20style%20wedding%2001.jpg

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have the store where he bought it show him. Most 'suiter' suitcases have a hanger gizmo that allows the suit to go in without hard creases in the wrong places. After you arrive in Hawaii, it will be humid so just hang it in the bathroom and any errant wrinkles should smooth out. Plus I can't imagine the resort (heck even a motel 6) that doesn't have a iron in the room.

I carry a tux and a sportcoat to cruises without difficulty.

I like Denise's idea best!

Jim

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly - I'd tell him to take it back and buy a nice Aloha Shirt on Kauai. For the most part, people do not wear suits for beach weddings in Hawaii.

Sigh, I know Denise. He started out with the style shown in your photo but has changed along the way and tonight he bought a suit to wear. He's looked at lots of photos of weddings on the beach and they show all styles from casual dress to suits. ;)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Does he realize that it will be hot, humid, and breezy? He will lose the jacket 5 min. after the ceremony - guaranteed!

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was 20 or so, I took packing lessons sponsored by Delta Airlines. It is easy to pack a suit but it is difficult to explain. I searched a couple of videos and this one demonstrated the same technique I was taught:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4973216_pack-mans-suit.html

Best wishes!

elaine

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
All my suitcases have hanger bags that fold and zip into the lid of the suitcase. My cloths travel well. One time I discovered that daughter very fluffy Christmas dresses we still zipped in the suitcase hanger bag in May. They still unfolded very nicely.

Alternatively, can't he carry it in a very simple hanger-bag and hang it in the closet on the airplane.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As has been noted, the hanger bags that come with many suitcases helps keep the structure of the suit when it is folded, however, you do still get a few wrinkles. The trick I learned a number of years ago is to use the thin dry cleaning plastic to hang over the suit first and then hang it inside the hanger bag. The plastic ensures a certain amount of friction that prevents the wrinkles. It's the best thing I've learned over the years of regular suit travel.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you only have one suit, it would be worth it to ask if they can put it in the first class closet for you. If you're flying in June shouldn't be heavy coats or anything.

They may not but it can't hurt.

Now, as worried as you are about the suit, I had to schlep our daughter's wedding dress to Vegas on the plane. I actually hated that dress before I ever saw it on her - LOL!!

We got it all steamed and it was worth it. Coming home it was pretty much squished into an overhead.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son got married on beach in PV, no suit. But as this is his choice, I'd suggest wrapping plastic or tissue paper around the garment. when you get to Hawaii, hang the suit in the bathroom, turn on the shower to HOT, close windows, steam up the bathroom and leave suit hanging for 15 mins! Wrinkles be gone!!!

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Lots of tips here www.onebag.com

The use of dry cleaning plastic is one of the best approaches.

Cheers

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you only have one suit, it would be worth it to ask if they can put it in the first class closet for you. If you're flying in June shouldn't be heavy coats or anything.

They may not but it can't hurt.

Now, as worried as you are about the suit, I had to schlep our daughter's wedding dress to Vegas on the plane. I actually hated that dress before I ever saw it on her - LOL!!

We got it all steamed and it was worth it. Coming home it was pretty much squished into an overhead.

Thanks everyone for the great tips and ideas. Yep, we're schlepping the wedding gown also.

My hairdresser mentioned a closet on the planes. I will have to ask about that for sure, since we'll have the gown and the suit.

Diane

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diane, Here's is an idea for a garment bag you can load up with all the hanging clothes and a lot of other stuff too. http://www.ebags.com/category/garment-bags/2003553?lastterm=garment bags Load it up and check it through. It will cost some for checking, but avoids all the worry, and aircraft 'closets' aren't what they used to be.

I'm not suggesting you spend hundred$ on it as they are readily available at your local thrift store. You'll find they are cheap and hardly used at all.

A destination wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime thing (we hope), and you seem concerned about doing it 'right', so this is just a suggestion where a few bucks can relieve some anxiety.

Hope it's all you and the lucky couple dream of.

Jim

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My hairdresser mentioned a closet on the planes. I will have to ask about that for sure, since we'll have the gown and the suit.

Diane

I would not count on a closet unless you are in First Class and definitely not on a commuter jet. Even then, it is a hit or miss thing. That said, most Flight Attendants will go out of their way to take good care of a wedding dress.

Hope all goes well.

Cheers

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Hang the suit in the same bag as the gown. You will certainly be on a large plane to HI. I'm sure the FA will find room for the garments in the closet.

sgtdesi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got married on Maui, flew 1st class and NO closet for my dress. Good luck, but be prepared just in case. My dress turned into a ball in the overhead.

debbiety

Reaction score
Wait for good inf.confused me...:wave:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Just got married on Maui, flew 1st class and NO closet for my dress. Good luck, but be prepared just in case. My dress turned into a ball in the overhead.

There was no closet or no room? What airline? Obviously I am wrong then.

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Oh dear! Did your dress 'unball' okay? My hairdresser got married on a Caribbean cruise and she told me the stewardesses put her gown up in the captain's quarters on the jet.

I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst to keep my sanity in this whole thing.

Congrats on your recent marriage!

flowergurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diane, Here's is an idea for a garment bag you can load up with all the hanging clothes and a lot of other stuff too. http://www.ebags.com/category/garment-bags/2003553?lastterm=garment bags Load it up and check it through. It will cost some for checking, but avoids all the worry, and aircraft 'closets' aren't what they used to be.

I'm not suggesting you spend hundred$ on it as they are readily available at your local thrift store. You'll find they are cheap and hardly used at all.

A destination wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime thing (we hope), and you seem concerned about doing it 'right', so this is just a suggestion where a few bucks can relieve some anxiety.

Hope it's all you and the lucky couple dream of.

Jim

Thanks Jim! Love the idea of these garment bags, however, people have told me not to put the gown in with baggage at all costs. They said it's not worth the risk of the baggage getting misplaced.

What to do? :shrug:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Thanks Jim! Love the idea of these garment bags, however, people have told me not to put the gown in with baggage at all costs. They said it's not worth the risk of the baggage getting misplaced.

How about shipping it prior to your flight? If you pack it in a box with appropriate packing materials, it should arrive just fine. It would be more expensive, but you cannot be guaranteed it won't be forced in an overhead bin if you take it with you flying. If that is not ok, I don't know of any other option.

Kurt

sgtdesi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I flew on Hawaiian and it was an older plane with no closet. The FA told me my dress had to go in the overhead. It did unball with the help of my most helpful matron of honor!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Unless the wedding is the day of arrival, I'd still put the hanging clothes in a garment bag and check 'em through. Even if it misses the flight your party is on, it will catch up the next day at the latest. Just be sure you put the itinerary with the name of your hotel/resort PROMINENTLY inside and even in the unlikely event that it's delayed, it will be placed in your waiting arms as soon as discovered. I know you haven't flown for 30 years, but along with the lack of great big fans out on the wings, airlines are 'graded' on their luggage handling. Honest- they don't want your wedding clothes.

I REALLY think you are putting waaaay more stress on yourself than necessary. Get a garment bag and check 'em through.

When DW and I got married in Scotland, I had rented a kilt outfit. Nobody told me you that the waist is measured at belly button height, not where we usually put the waist for trousers, so we had to traipse all over Scotland to find me a kilt the right size.

Jim

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The only 100% way to assure it gets there when you do is to wear it. :p

Totally lost checked baggage is less than 0.1% IIRC. FedEx or UPS is even lower.

Probably to best way to get it there in good condition is shipping to the Hotel in a good package to arrive before you and tell them to hold for you. I have shipped several things that way which were too bulky to handle on the plane.

Either that or take it on the plane and take your chances. ;)

Cheers