• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Researching Marriott Resales [2012]

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at resale Marriott weeks and obviously want to commit to the lowest price possible. Living in southern California, I am leaning towards the local properties because so many long time TS owners have drilled in my head to buy a resort that I could drive to.

Ultimately, I'd be wanting to visit Palm Desert and Hawaii the most. It looks like a Platinum week has the same MFs as a low season weeks. If that is the case, what are the benefits of having a Platinum week other than being able to book certain weeks? If I mostly wanted to go during a low season, would there still be any benefit of owning a Platinum week?

How does the in house trading system work? If I owned Palm Desert, would I be able to trade in house for Hawaii, or does that have to be done through II? Something I am confused on is II membership. Is it mandatory?

Is it beneficial to buy based on lower MFs like buying Las Vegas or Orlando even if I never go to the home resort? Would it give me any type of foot in the door priority booking for another resort?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You suggest off-season Hawaii which certainly is easier than prime time to exchange into. What about unit size? If you also said you don't need two BDRM/ 2 BTH then it becomes even easier to trade into Hawaii and owning a plat becomes less paramount.

So it really all depends on what you need and when you need it when you're discussing trading into Hawaii. Also Maui units add a level of exchange challenge more than the other Marriott Hawaii resorts but doable in the off-season if looking for a 1BDRM.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
You suggest off-season Hawaii which certainly is easier than prime time to exchange into. What about unit size? If you also said you don't need two BDRM/ 2 BTH then it becomes even easier to trade into Hawaii and owning a plat becomes less paramount.

So it really all depends on what you need and when you need it when you're discussing trading into Hawaii. Also Maui units add a level of exchange challenge more than the other Marriott Hawaii resorts but doable in the off-season if looking for a 1BDRM.

I'd want the ability to get a 2 bedroom. Maui is really low on my priority list. I know Ko Olina would be nice and I still need to visit Kaui - never been to Kaui.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at resale Marriott weeks and obviously want to commit to the lowest price possible. Living in southern California, I am leaning towards the local properties because so many long time TS owners have drilled in my head to buy a resort that I could drive to.

Ultimately, I'd be wanting to visit Palm Desert and Hawaii the most. It looks like a Platinum week has the same MFs as a low season weeks. If that is the case, what are the benefits of having a Platinum week other than being able to book certain weeks? If I mostly wanted to go during a low season, would there still be any benefit of owning a Platinum week?

How does the in house trading system work? If I owned Palm Desert, would I be able to trade in house for Hawaii, or does that have to be done through II? Something I am confused on is II membership. Is it mandatory?

Is it beneficial to buy based on lower MFs like buying Las Vegas or Orlando even if I never go to the home resort? Would it give me any type of foot in the door priority booking for another resort?

The Marriott in-house trading system will not be available to you for any resale weeks you buy now. The only trading option you would have would be Interval International Exchanges. This would only change if Marriott were to allow enrollment of post June 2012 resale weeks.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I would recommend buying a platinum week. The MFs are the same, so only difference in cost is the purchase price. You pay a few thousand dollars more, but the trade value should be much better. Given the relatively low costs to buy with the economy the way it is, this is a good time to get the best property/season you can get.

We bought a Desert Springs Villas 1 resale and were able to trade into Ko Olina for the week of April 29th this year.

Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision and process.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a Desert Springs Villas 1 resale and were able to trade into Ko Olina for the week of April 29th this year.

Since you bought resale, did you have to join II to trade to Ko Olina?

I have recently joined RCI, but I usually use (and like much better) the smaller companies. So, I am not too keen on joining II.

If I can't do any internal trading, I suppose I really need to follow the buy where I want to stay philosophy. I'll be at DSV this summer on an exchange from SFX. Yes, summer. :hysterical: Maybe I will check out those 2 properties and Shadow Ridge while I am out there and see if I'd be happy staying at any of those EOY. We really love the desert area.

I was considering purchasing Newport Coast, but I would never stay there. So, I guess there is no value in buying there if I can't use it easily to trade to another Marriott.

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
II has some great benefits. You would be able to get bonus weeks in certain areas for every confirmed exchange. Check out the xyz thread under sightings. We have been to LV,
Breckenridge , Brandon and Orlando on bonus weeks. We love it.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
If you don't intend to stay at NCV don't buy there. You are much better off with a lock-off, esp. if you can travel off season and/or last minute.

Platinum weeks trade better, but if you are buying somewhere you'd like to go half the time, and you prefer to travel in another season, then buying Plat. just for trade value doesn't make a lot of sense. Another option might be to buy 2 every other year units, one in Palm Desert and one in Hawaii.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may be on information overload because I've been reading so many old threads, trying to gather all the information that I need to make an informed choice. So, I apologize if I ask questions that have been answered already in other Marriott threads.

If I buy a EOY Desert Springs, 2 bedroom lockoff, platinum season.....

Could I lock it off, use the studio side for myself and deposit the one bedroom into an exchange company?

Would I be able to book non-platinum season for no extra fees?

Would I be able to take 2 weeks for myself, one in the studio and one in the one bedroom?

I think I'm getting closer to understanding what will work best for us. I think it would be Palm Desert EOY. I considered Ko Olina, but I don't think I'd go EOY, a triennial would be nice......but, not an option.

Oh, does anyone have a link to a list of current MFs for the California and Hawaii properties?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I may be on information overload because I've been reading so many old threads, trying to gather all the information that I need to make an informed choice. So, I apologize if I ask questions that have been answered already in other Marriott threads.

If I buy a EOY Desert Springs, 2 bedroom lockoff, platinum season.....

Could I lock it off, use the studio side for myself and deposit the one bedroom into an exchange company? yes

Would I be able to book non-platinum season for no extra fees? You can only directly book in the season you own. So, if you wanted a non-Plat. season you'd have to deposit part or all of the unit into II and request and exchange, and pay the exchange fee.

Would I be able to take 2 weeks for myself, one in the studio and one in the one bedroom?yes, and you can book them for different dates (they don't have to be consecutive)

I think I'm getting closer to understanding what will work best for us. I think it would be Palm Desert EOY. I considered Ko Olina, but I don't think I'd go EOY, a triennial would be nice......but, not an option.

Oh, does anyone have a link to a list of current MFs for the California and Hawaii properties?
Others will have to answer that- but you can search for a thread for 2012 MF's
HTH- good luck!

tlwmkw

Reaction score
If you have a re-sale there is still a Marriott advantage if you trade through II (though the sales reps will tell you otherwise) and from what I understand there are still many folks who have not signed into the new points system so there will still be weeks available to trade.

I was at Surfwatch last week and met someone who used to work for Marriott and recently left because of the new points (that and the economy were making it a hard sell so he got out)- he said that many owners had no interest in the new points and there are many disgruntled owners who don't like the system. He is no longer selling timeshares and had no reason to lie about this to me so I think it is probably true. He is doing a completely different business now and seemed very honest (probably another reason why he left the timeshare field!) and had been there for a long time before deciding to leave.

Personally I think it is a good time to buy re-sale if you interested in weeks.

tlwmkw

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Since you bought resale, did you have to join II to trade to Ko Olina?

I have recently joined RCI, but I usually use (and like much better) the smaller companies. So, I am not too keen on joining II.

If I can't do any internal trading, I suppose I really need to follow the buy where I want to stay philosophy. I'll be at DSV this summer on an exchange from SFX. Yes, summer. :hysterical: Maybe I will check out those 2 properties and Shadow Ridge while I am out there and see if I'd be happy staying at any of those EOY. We really love the desert area.

I was considering purchasing Newport Coast, but I would never stay there. So, I guess there is no value in buying there if I can't use it easily to trade to another Marriott.

No, you wouldn't have to join II, but if you want to trade into most of the other Marriott's you would. Desert Springs 1 is actually in II and RCI. There are a couple other of the older Marriott resorts that are too, but I can't remember which ones. But remember, if you have a good trade value, you can trade into other high quality resorts in addition to Marriotts. Of course, most of the major resort programs give priority to their owners within II for a limited amount of time after a week is deposited.

It sounds like you would do best with a resort that provides a lock-off option like those in the desert. You mentioned Newport Coast, which is all 2 BR non-lock offs, and as you mentioned, you wouldn't stay there since it is so close.

I did what you proposed doing this summer. I stopped by each of the resorts and asked to see a room. The front desk was happy to have someone show me the rooms. Each of the resorts is a bit different, so I was glad to see them.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Without having been to visit the Palm Desert properties, I am thinking DSV I has the most to offer as far as activities on site. We don't golf, but if we bring extended family, it would be nice to have lots of choices for teens through grandparents. My husband and I tend to run around in a car during vacations, but the younger adults tend to hang around the resort. Of course, we'd love for them to want to join us.

Hubby says his preferred desert time is winter. So, then I feel like I should get a platinum week, but we also prefer to stay places when they are less busy. I see a listing on Ebay now (not bidding, not ready to buy) for white season, weeks 22-27 and 36-49. What I am wondering is how easy would it be to get the Thanksgiving week? If it would be fairly easy to get that week when we'd want it, then that season would be a good choice.

EDIT TO ADD: Would the DC have an earlier booking window than we would? When does the booking window open for float weeks owners?

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas, Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (DRI), Worldmark
I had no problem booking a 2012 Thanksgiving week at DSVII last November. I was on the website exactly at 6:00 am pacific to get it. I then used the week for a succesfull II trade into Marriott village Ile de France for the first week in September. This was my first Marriiott purchase last year and I bought it off eBay for $1 (EOY Even) so am very happy with the purchase so far. So much so I have since bought a platinum week at Shadow Ridge (EOY Odd) and another Annual White, also at Shadow Ridge, so I can use the 13 month window if needed in the White season now.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had no problem booking a 2012 Thanksgiving week at DSVII last November. I was on the website exactly at 6:00 am pacific to get it. I then used the week for a succesfull II trade into Marriott village Ile de France for the first week in September. This was my first Marriiott purchase last year and I bought it off eBay for $1 (EOY Even) so am very happy with the purchase so far. So much so I have since bought a platinum week at Shadow Ridge (EOY Odd) and another Annual White, also at Shadow Ridge, so I can use the 13 month window if needed in the White season now.

Nice deals! Thanks for the info.

RichardL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Annual vs. EOY

I own both, but prefer annual because if you buy EOY the maintenance fee is a little higher and instead of a $400 closing cost you pay for two closing costs.

DSV1 is lovely and I have been there for 25 yrs. But MF just went up $200, so one year ago I prefer my DSV1 to DSV2. But not now for $200 more, and especially since I always trade to Hawaii and Newport Coast. Try this spilt the lock off and trade the small unit into Newport Coast and get an off season two bedroom(all units are 2 bedroom) in Feb or March(great time of year) or do the same at the Marriott at Poipu Kauai during Oct/Nov/March, and do it again using the one bedroom. Can it be done. I have done it for 25 years.

Oh yes, why buy Hawaii and pay $1600 of maintenance fee compared to DSV2 at $1067 and $72 property tax.

Here is a quick tip you can rent at the Marriotts in Palm Desert from Interval at a get away price that is less than MF. Do it and try DSV!, DSV2, and Shadow Ridge. TS prices are not going up anytime soon, so be smart and sleep at the location and "kick the tires" and find the one that lights your fire.

Oh yes, I strongly recommend Interval because that is how you trade and get into other Marriotts(Marriott Desk Preference) otherwise all the other thousands of TS exchangers that have a higher value unit to trade get ahead of your less lock off unit.

Enjoy going to Palm Desert and Newport you are so very lucky to be able to drive them. We have no weather in Southern California, I just saw the Eastern storms on cnn news.

Enjoy the timeshare and Tugg experience it really is easy to enjoy.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't know if I'd put too much stock in the advice to buy where you can drive to stay. The only places I could drive to are New Jersey, Boston and Virginia. I wouldn't really want to own any of them. Those are nice resorts but when I travel I want to see someplace different than the region I live in all year round.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. I think what most tuggers suggest is to buy where you would most want to go. For me, that is the Carolinas, but a summer Carolina week at any of the Marriotts is EXPENSIVE. I do not see anything wrong with buying a week to use as a trader, so long as you buy a platinum week. I think you will always be ablet to at least give away a platinum week, should owning not work out. The buy where you want to visit rule is great, if you can afford the upfront costs. What I advise is buying a platinum lock-off unit with the cheapest dues you can find, if you cannot afford to buy the week you would most want to use every year.

I had to find out the hard way that no one is able to trade into the Carolinas over the summer. I thought owning a platinum Marriott week would do it, but not so -- at least not with just a one bedroom.

I don't know if I'd put too much stock in the advice to buy where you can drive to stay. The only places I could drive to are New Jersey, Boston and Virginia. I wouldn't really want to own any of them. Those are nice resorts but when I travel I want to see someplace different than the region I live in all year round.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
If Desert Springs is one area you want to stay in, then regardless of when you want to stay, you should ONLY buy a Platinum week. The reason is that you will easily be able to trade a platinum week for any week of the year you want in Desert Springs, and a Platinum week will have no problem trading into Hawaii either.

Now, having said this, you need to remember that in addition to the purchase price, a Desert Springs week will cost you $1000 a year in maintenance fees every single year. If you get an every-other-year, it will cost you $500 a year. That is a lot of cash, it will go up every year by 5-10% (except years in which there is a special assessment...)

When you finally have access to II, you will see that Desert Springs is easily available as a Getaway (any week you want), and the Getaway price will only be around $200-$400 for a week - a lot cheaper than your MF. Furthermore, go to E-bay and search the rental ads for Desert Springs. You are going to find week after week being offered in the $100-$300 range for the week.

In other words, in good times and in bad times, it's almost always better to just rent than to own (or it's basically a wash). Timeshares have been in a freefall for the past few years, and in many cases, they have NEGATIVE value now (meaning sellers are paying people to take them off their hands by paying all of the closing costs, transfer fees, and in some cases the first year's maintenance fees).

Unless you can buy a property for about $0 with the seller paying for closing costs, I'd consider renting. And this coming from a guy who owns three Marriott weeks purchased resale.

Your alternate idea buying Orlando or Vegas to save the MF is not advised. The mantra of TUG is - only buy where you plan to stay. It is a 100% wise and correct statement. Orlando and Vegas are also very much overbuilt and oversold, meaning timeshare weeks out there are a dome a dozen, and not worth much when trading - and worth almost nothing as a rental.

If you buy a Hawaii week, the MF will be enormous, but in the years you don't visit, you MIGHT be able to rent the unit to recoup your MF. Kauai Beach Club weeks can be purchased for around $100. These are older units that feel much like hotel rooms. Be aware that almost all sales you see will be 1BR units. Ko Olina and Waiohai are 2BR units (all Waiohai and some KO are not lockoffs). Resale prices for annual weeks range from $5000-$8000. Since you are not interested in Maui, that covers Marriott HI. To give you an idea of the freefall in prices, those same Ko Olina and Waiohai weeks sold for around $9000-$10000 about a year ago. Has the bottom arrived? Who knows, maybe in a few years even Ko Olina weeks will go for $0.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
In other words, in good times and in bad times, it's almost always better to just rent than to own (or it's basically a wash). Timeshares have been in a freefall for the past few years, and in many cases, they have NEGATIVE value now (meaning sellers are paying people to take them off their hands by paying all of the closing costs, transfer fees, and in some cases the first year's maintenance fees).

Unless you can buy a property for about $0 with the seller paying for closing costs, I'd consider renting. And this coming from a guy who owns three Marriott weeks purchased resale.

Thanks for the info. If I can easily rent for less than MFs, a renting I will go.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Thanks for the info. If I can easily rent for less than MFs, a renting I will go.

The only downside to renting is that it is a trust relationship with someone you have probably never met. You usually pay 100% upfront and hope they uphold their end. There's always that worry in your gut that things won't work out. Owners can screw over renters by taking your name off the guest certificate at the last minute (or claiming to be owners when they are not), and renters can screw over owners by trashing the place. That's why people usually do a generic rental agreement.

So the other alternative is to become good friends with someone who owns timeshare, and ask them to get you a getaway week through II (or RCI if they swing that way). Your friend wouldn't be giving anything up that they own - it's not like they would be giving you their week or anything. Those Getaways are simply a service provided to people enrolled in the exchange company (if you are an II member, you can rent a week at some resorts as a getaway). They won't always be the top resorts, but the savings are absurd. I've gotten a 2BR Orlando Marriott for less than $25 a night. You simply won't have problems when you buy a getaway.

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your alternate idea buying Orlando or Vegas to save the MF is not advised. The mantra of TUG is - only buy where you plan to stay. It is a 100% wise and correct statement. Orlando and Vegas are also very much overbuilt and oversold, meaning timeshare weeks out there are a dome a dozen, and not worth much when trading - and worth almost nothing as a rental.

This is simply not [necessarily] true. When my overbuilt 2br gets me into a 2br Welk for spring break (lower demand than summer, yes, but still a very desirable week for me), and my overbuilt 1br gets me into a 2br Desert Springs II for July (prob not difficult trade, but 1br for 2br is great...and my all in cost is still less than an II getaway), then one needs to start challenging their own conventional wisdom. Unless "not worth much" means that you won't get Christmas in Hawaii or something like that, this assertion above is simply not an accurate statement.

Last edited:

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
...my overbuilt 1br gets me into a 2br Desert Springs II for July...

Out of curiosity (and knowing this will probably confuse the OP), how did the 1BR trade for a 2BR? Unless it was during Flex or unless the 2BR was not a lockoff, I don't see how this could happen. But if memory serve me, Desert Springs does have some non-lockoff units.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity (and knowing this will probably confuse the OP), how did the 1BR trade for a 2BR? Unless it was during Flex or unless the 2BR was not a lockoff, I don't see how this could happen. But if memory serve me, Desert Springs does have some non-lockoff units.

I just did an instant exchange last week with my non-Marriott 1BR July 4th 2012 week for a 2BR July 7 -14 DSVII. This was outside of Flexchange by a couple weeks. I was surprised myself. I think it's a lock-off because it is Unit: HZZAB (2 bedrooms).

Don't mean to hijack the thread, was just responding to a point that there can actually be value found in my 'overbuilt' strategy.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here I am over a year later and still thinking about buying a Palm Desert resale. Now that I have access to I.I. through Shell, I want the Marriott preference. The last minute sightings that are posted often don't show up via Shell.

Do I need to have a platinum week to get the Marriott preference for the flexchange Marriott inventory? I've been following along in the marriott threads all this time and it looks like any marriott deposit in I.I. will give me the Marriott preference for flexchange stays. Would a one bedroom or studio trade to a 2 bedroom in flexchange? Is there a way to pay to upgrade from a one bedroom deposit to a 2 bedroom exchange further out?