• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui taxes [IMPORTANT - Proposal to RAISE Property Tax - AGAIN!]

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Here we go again. The Mayor of Maui has proposed a 7 percent increase in prop taxes for time share on Maui. This would take the rate from 15.00 to 16.50. This would be a combined total of 15 percent increase over the last two years. If you own a house in Maui the rate is 6.00. This is ridiculous. Once again the Mayor is choosing to alienate time share holders thinking they are an easy target. I would suggest we all make our concerns heard before the next council meeting on April 11th. Contact info can be found here www.ardaroc.org and click on Maui tax alert. I know that some will say it does no good to voice your opinion, I respectfully disagree. Last year there was a lot of good input and I believe it had an impact on the council. Granted tax went up but considerably less than what they were initially proposing. If we dont do anything we can be guaranteed of the outcome.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I agree - it does help to contact the counsel. Last time they mentioned that they were bombarded by emails from timeshare owners.

Here is a direct link to the council members: http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?nid=158

Here are some more email links - including the mayor's - http://www.co.maui.hi.us/Directory.aspx?did=90

I suggest keeping it short and to the point - this is what I wrote:

Dear Council Member:

Timeshare owners are the most consistent visitors to Maui - we visit Maui and spend our dollars on Maui in both good times and bad.

Don't bit the hand that feeds you.

Vote no on the mayor's proposal to raise timeshare property tax.

DeniseM
Westin Ka'anapali Owner

Last edited:

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good grief, here we go again!

May as well just link to last year's thread. Nothing new to be discussed.

Bottom line: if the basis for the timeshare tax rate is not challenged in court, they will continue to raise it.
If the argument is simply over how much, it only reaffirms their ability to apply a discriminatory tax on timeshare owners.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not just timeshares where there is a proposed raise on a percentage basis from 2012 to 2013 for the Maui tax rates - according to the ARDA site:

Time Share: up 7.7%

Hotel: up 2.2%

Residential: up 8.1% (non-resident homeowner)

Apartment: up 9.1%

Commercial: up 12%

and

Agricultural: dead even

Industrial: down 1.4%

Homeowner: down 12.0% (need a Homeowner's exemption and be a resident) Salty

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fredm, ... Overall, the proposed FY13 budget for Maui County shows property tax revenue dropping 0.1% from 2012 ($208.8M to $208.7M).

All that is happening is that, for 2013, Maui is proposing to shift an even greater part of the incidence of the property tax to timeshare, apartment, hotel, commercial and non-resident owners from (mostly) resident homeowners. Salty

Last edited:

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Good grief, here we go again!

May as well just link to last year's thread. Nothing new to be discussed.

Bottom line: if the basis for the timeshare tax rate is not challenged in court, they will continue to raise it.
If the argument is simply over how much, it only reaffirms their ability to apply a discriminatory tax on timeshare owners.

Maui County Commission Raises Timeshare Property Tax Rate

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Position/Call to Action
Now that the County has officially decided to increase the property tax rate for timeshare, ARDA-ROC will continue to assess it options, including working with the County to change the current assessment methodologies and exploring a strategy that would include legal action against the County to force a reduction in the current tax rate

Maybe its time to call them on it. How long are they going to "assess options" Im not a lawyer so I dont know if this can be legally challenged but it seems if it can this is the time to do it. :wall:

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fredm, ... Overall, the proposed FY13 budget for Maui County shows property tax revenue dropping 0.1% from 2012 ($208.8M to $208.7M).

All that is happening is that, for 2013, Maui is proposing to shift an even greater part of the incidence of the property tax to timeshare, apartment, hotel, commercial and non-resident owners from (mostly) resident homeowners. Salty

Yes, I got that part.
County property tax revenues are not increasing because assessed valuations are not going up. So, they are selectively increasing tax rates on timeshares, non-resident owners, and transients to stay even, while further reducing tax rates on resident owners (who already get a 500k resident exemption).

All of which goes to say that Maui County (not the State) is using the property tax code to favor/penalize the various land users, without the semblance of any nexus for the rates applied. One of these days it will be legally challenged.

That this arbitrary application of tax rates hits timeshares the hardest by far is a reflection of the discriminatory views held by some members of the Maui County Council.

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe its time to call them on it. How long are they going to "assess options" Im not a lawyer so I dont know if this can be legally challenged but it seems if it can this is the time to do it. :wall:

Sure, it can be challenged in court. BUT, it will require deep pockets.
I don't think the County would win. The State has already advised them to reconsider its property tax policy (which is at major variance with all other Hawaii counties) . Which is why ARDA includes the threat of legal action in its boilerplate.

ARDA will not go there, IMO. Developers have future fish to fry with the County Council, and don't want to poison the water. Pragmatic long term self-interest. The County Council knows this as well.

ARDA will actively lobby the Council, and rally owner sentiment, because higher taxes make developer sales more difficult, and increase costs. To the extent these efforts produce small temporary victories, timeshare owners also benefit.

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure, it can be challenged in court. I don't think the County will win. The State has already advised them to reconsider its property tax policy (which is at major variance with all other Hawaii counties) . Which is why ARDA includes the threat of legal action in its boilerplate.
BUT, it will require deep pockets.

ARDA will not go there, IMO. Developers have future fish to fry with the County Council, and don't want to poison the water. Pragmatic long term self-interest.

Fredm, ... A review of decisions by the SCOTUS on the subject of discriminatory taxation by States and the Equal Protection Clause:

http://supreme.lp.findlaw.com/constitution/amendment14/21.html

I litigate property taxes for a living. It would be long, hard (but not entirely impossible) litigation to pursue the Maui tax rate classification system.

Federal courts are prohibited from interfering by granting an injunction in State taxation as long as the taxpayer has a "plain, speedy and efficient" remedy for raising federal constitutional issues in State court.

State court judges adjudicating the "plain, speedy and efficient" State remedy seem to feel that if they find a tax to be a violation of Equal Protection Clause a deduction will be made from their next paycheck. So they usually say, after verbal soul-searching and hand-wringing (lol!), that suspect classifications are not too arbitrary and they pass muster. And, then the SCOTUS usually refuses to take the appeal because it finds no substantial federal question is raised by the State court opinion. Salty

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
whoa ... when did jarta learn how to use the quote button?

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
siesta, ... Always knew how to push the button. Just preferred not to quote every part of every post I respond to.

Decided to try something else when I decided that if I didn't, I'd get further comments. Seems like I can't avoid the comments. ;)

So, no quote for you - at all!

And, I'll do it various ways from now on. Should how much a wise guy the poster is determine how much gets quoted? Salty

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
siesta, ... Always knew how to push the button. Just preferred not to quote every part of every post I respond to. Salty

Jarta aka Salty - just delete the non-pertinent part of the original post that you don't want displayed again. It's definitely easier to follow things with the quote feature.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Christ on a cracker. They increased the rental car taxes as well. Do they think that Maui is the only tourist destination on Earth?

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Isn't that a 10% increase or am I missing something?

K2that should have read 1.15 increase from 15.00 to 16.15. Good eye thanks for pointing that out. Thats what I get for not proof reading sorry about that. As Jarta pointed out its actually a 7.7 percent increase vs a 7 percent increase as I stated in previous post.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jarta aka Salty - just delete the non-pertinent part of the original post that you don't want displayed again. It's definitely easier to follow things with the quote feature.

saluki, ... I hope you understand the only real difference between my quoting only part of the post I'm responding to by highlighting and using cut and paste and your pushing the TUG Quote Button and then erasing the non-pertinent part of my original post is ...

the pretty blue box. Salty

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
K2that should have read 1.15 increase from 15.00 to 16.15. Good eye thanks for pointing that out. Thats what I get for not proof reading sorry about that. As Jarta pointed out its actually a 7.7 percent increase vs a 7 percent increase as I stated in previous post.

No problem Kevin. If I didn't have jarta ignored, I would have already seen the correction.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
saluki, ... I hope you understand the only real difference between my quoting only part of the post I'm responding to by highlighting and using cut and paste and your pushing the TUG Quote Button and then erasing the non-pertinent part of my original post is ...

the pretty blue box. Salty

That plus the part where it is a much quicker read as a quote...

But, hey, it's your finger. Push whatever button you like.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
Decided to try something else when I decided that if I didn't, I'd get further comments.

Thank you.

I think using the conventional method of quoting is a big improvement since it's much easier to see who/what you're quoting.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Email from Starwood:

Dear Ocean Resort Villas Owner,

This is to inform you of the recent fiscal year budget proposal by Maui County Mayor, Alan Arakawa, to increase the property tax rate paid by timeshare owners. If passed, the new tax rate will take effect July 1, 2012. The Mayor's office insists the tax increase will be "revenue neutral"; however, the proposal represents a 7.7% increase to the timeshare tax rate - bringing the overall rate from the current $15.00 per thousand to a proposed $16.15. This continues the practice of taxing timeshare owners at a significantly higher tax rate than any other type of landowner.

As we did successfully last year, your Board of Directors, Management Company, and American Resort Development Association-Resort Owners Coalition (ARDA-ROC) are working to defeat or minimize this proposed increase. We will be meeting with Maui County Council members and the Mayor's office in an attempt to roll-back the proposed increase and obtain more details about the proposal. Ultimately, it will be the members of the Maui County Council who will either accept the Mayor's initial proposal or adopt a different timeshare tax rate. Once we have more information, we will provide you with further updates and details on how you may help communicate your opposition.

To receive additional updates about this matter, you may visit the ARDA-ROC website at: http://www.ardaroc.org/roc/legislative-issues/issues.aspx?id=3464

We invite owners either visiting on island or residing in Maui County to attend the hearing listed below to express your concerns in person.

Budget and Finance Committee Hearings

April 11 - 6:00 p.m. Lahaina Civic Center, Social Hall, 1840 Honoapiilani Hwy., Lahaina, HI (808) 270-7838

Thank you for your support on this most urgent matter.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If anyone cares, here is another way to post a quote:

1) Copy and paste the desired text

2) Type the following at the beginning and end - remove blank spaces - I had to put them in so the Vboard code would show:

[ quote] text goes here [ /quote]

If you hunt and peck, this probably won't be of help to you. If you are a touch typist, it's pretty fast.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Christ on a cracker. They increased the rental car taxes as well. Do they think that Maui is the only tourist destination on Earth?

Where did you find this info? How high is it now?

Last year I rented via priceline and paid almost exactly in taxes (about $0.40 difference) as I did in the rental fees itself.

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Surely the value of Maui timeshares has decreased. I got a 2 br 2 bath every year Maui Schooner for $1 on ebay

I'm guessing the county doesn't see it that way.:confused:

Sterling

aeroflygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Where did you find this info? How high is it now?

It's 40-50% of the total cost, from my calculations.

Hawaii

"Effective July 1, 2011 the Hawaii State rental motor vehicle surcharge tax will increase from $3/day to $7.50/day. This rate will be in effect from July 1, 2011 until June 30, 2012, at which time the rental motor vehicle surcharge tax will revert back to $3/day barring any further legislations.

Unfortunately this will come as an unwelcomed surprise for most customers as the car rental companies have not yet included this significant tax increase in their cost estimates and rental confirmation notifications as the bill was only signed by Governor Neil Abercrombie on June 9, 2011.

Ref: DEPARTMENT OF TAXATION ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 2011-08 http://www.state.hi.us/tax/announce/ann11-08.pdf"

http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/news/134.htm