• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Lagunamar

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hit WLM 3-11-18. We Absolutely loved this resort. On this trip we didn't cook much, just breakfast in the room and some reheated leftovers .Every meal we had in Cancun was good. One Restaurant we especially enjoyed was 'LA Parilla" in downtown Cancun.

Transportation in Cancun was very good. We used public buses and taxis. We used the Westin Shuttle service to and from the airport with no issues .We probably could have saved a few dollars securing our own transportation but the sevice was carefree and accurate.The Cancun Airport was very nice and modern. Getting through customs both ways was annoying.

We did the tour to Chichen Itza and had a blast. The guide, bus, service and stops were all very good We used the Westin desk to book it (111 per person). There were discounts if your did an owner's update .We opted out.​

Safety

Just wanted to add that not at any time during this trip did we feel Unsafe

Pros
  • Fabulous resort
  • proximity to La Isla Mall
  • Food
  • Mexican hospitality
  • Great rooms
  • Good location

Cons
  • The new section pool and the upper pool were slightly warmer than the lower pool but for me all the pools were still cold.
  • Internet was terrible WI FI was unuseably slow and ethernet was on and off .
  • Hot tubs weren't hot just warm (This was a pro for me personally because the pools were too cold)
  • We had a 2 Bedroom lockoff and the staff blundered seperating the room charges. Not a big deal because I was with my parents and we worked it out easliy.

Old guy in the fountain

We arrived about 2 hours before my parents did so we went by the front desk around the time we thought they would be arriving.
I see an old guy sopping wet an disheveled with a towel on his shoulders standing with the manager and a lifeguard checking him out. Of course it was my father.
When my father got out of the cab he was talking to the driver and was distracted by the overwhelming surroundings.He backed up and tripped over the small curb surrounding the Fountain and fell into it ....completely.He injured his shoulder a little but he's ok. His laptop however did not survive.The next day we saw 2 guys painting the curb .We laughed it off and had a great vacation.

Last edited:

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
Old guy in the fountainWe arrived about 2 hours before my parents did so we went by the front desk around the time we thought they would be arriving.
I see an old guy sopping wet an disheveled with a towel on his shoulders standing with the manager and a lifeguard checking him out. Of course it was my father.When my father got out of the cab he was talking to the driver and was distracted by the overwhelming surroundings.He backed up and tripped over the small curb surrounding the Fountain and fell into it ....completely.He injured his shoulder a little but he's ok. His laptop however did not survive.The next day we saw 2 guys painting the curb .We laughed it off and had a great vacation.
:rofl:Too funny.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Frank, I was there last mothers day and took my Mom and her sister and their friend. 2 had never been to mexico, and my mom hadnt been since the late 80s (montezumas revenge, and she swore shed never go back to mexico). I assured her things have changed.

They loved the resort, the beach, and most of all the mexican people! They are bugging me to take them back. They too enjoyed chichen itza, although unlike in the past, nowyou are no longer permitted to walk to the top. I didnt want to see any of them fall so was kind of relieved they couldnt even be tempted.

Glad you had a great trip and glad your dad is ok! You guys must have had a good laugh when you realized it was just a bump and bruise.

FYI, next time you are in cancun check out www.cancun-discounts.com

You can get the chichen itza tour for $53 pp, it is typically $99 from most tour vendors when you book thru them, of course westin tacks on a few to make it $111. But dont overpay, its the same tour! That is the same for all tours.

Last edited:

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Frank, I was there last mothers day and took my Mom and her sister and their friend. 2 had never been to mexico, and my mom hadnt been since the late 80s (montezumas revenge, and she swore shed never go back to mexico). I assured her things have changed.

They loved the resort, the beach, and most of all the mexican people! They are bugging me to take them back. They too enjoyed chichen itza, although unlike in the past, nowyou are no longer permitted to walk to the top. I didnt want to see any of them fall so was kind of relieved they couldnt even be tempted.

Glad you had a great trip and glad your dad is ok! You guys must have had a good laugh when you realized it was just a bump and bruise.

FYI, next time you are in cancun check out www.cancun-discounts.com

Thanks for the tips

You can get the chichen itza tour for $53 pp, it is typically $99 from most tour vendors when you book thru them, of course westin tacks on a few to make it $111. But dont overpay, its the same tour! That is the same for all tours.

Funny you brought up Montezumas revenge.

I was fully prepared for it and had a bunch of OTC medications just in case .I haven't been to Cancun since the 80's also and was just sure I would get it. I got so sick the last time i was there. I ate and drank everywhere there and didn't worry about it because I just knew it would happen. It didn't happen and no one else in my party got sick either.

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are a Lagunamar right now.

I knew Cancun would be a tough sell for us, because we are Maui folks, but it is nice enough. The resort is typical Westin in style, which is nice.

The pools are very cold, but I am also a wimp when it comes to cold water. The warm hot tubs make up for it.

We ate at the restaurant at the aquarium across the street yesterday. Was very good, but my 4 year old son was very upset about the dolphins being in the tanks. He kept exclaiming, "It's not right! They don't belong there! We need to get them back in the ocean!" I guess between all of our trips on the Pacific Whale Foundation boats, and watching Finding Nemo on the way here, he is picking up on a thing or two about marine life.

We bring our own router (apple airport), and the internet speed is the same as at home.

Tonight we are eating at a restaurant, but we are unsure of the name (not even sure it has a name). We were told to walk toward the Domino's Pizza, and just before, walk down some unmarked stairs. Apparently, the food is very good, there is a mariachi band, it's right on the water, and there is a playground for kids.

We are thinking of heading to Isla Mujeres on Thursday or Friday, but undecided as of yet.

As for food...we eat out half of the time, and at the villa the other half. We brought an entire suitcase of food with us. When we got through customs, we were pulled to the side and they asked if we had baby food. We said yes (goldfish are baby food, right?). They pulled our one suitcase to inspect, and it happened to be the one with our clothes. They then searched through our one carry one bag and sent us on our way. So, we were good to go with pasta, peanut butter, jelly, crackers, rice milk, coffee, cereal, and other dry goods. We are just buying some things we need at the store here because it is not worth the $$ to go to the Walmart.

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
ThreeLittleBirds, The restaurant you described is named El Fish Fritanga. It is our favorite in Cancun, and we went there twice in a week the last time we were at Lagunamar. There is a little carry out stand at street level that will have the name on it. You just walk past it and go down the stairs.

I'm trying to remember the meals we had. I know one night my wife had a seafood stuffed fish, probably flounder (terrible memory) that had a delicious buttery sauce. Really good. I really like the octopus fritanga, but you have to like the texture of octopus, and it is REALLY spicy.

They really know how to mix a drink there, also, if you're so inclined. They gave me a complimentary shot of tequila, and it was suprisingly good. I asked the brand and was suprised that it was Herradura, which is a quality name.

Another plus is that the restaurant is reasonably priced for the hotel zone.

I hope you enjoy your dinner.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"We are just buying some things we need at the store here because it is not worth the $$ to go to the Walmart."

Don't you mean time - rather than $$?

The bus is 60 cents per person each way and has lots of tourists on board. It stops right in front of the resort. If you don't want to take bags on the bus coming back, it's $10 for the cab ride back to Lagunamar.

Have fun! Salty

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I can't believe what I'm reading. Two reports of cold pool temps at this resort?!?! Again! I thought they solved this problem.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ken, ... I was at Lagunamar in January. The pool is heated. It is so big that, despite the heating, there are warm and cool spots.

Also, there are nights after cloudy and windy days when the heater is on all night. The pool is warm. However, when the weather is better, the heater is turned on less those nights and, actually, the pool is cooler the next morning.

Overall, much better than it was at Lagunamar.

Just came back from WMH (February) and WKORV (March). Both had pools with noticeable variations in temperature from day to day. Heat costs money and raises MF. Salty

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a cold water wimp, so always take my pool temp reviews with a grain of salt.

El fish fritanga is now officially our favorite restaurant in cancun. Had the folks at the pool not told me three times to just walk down the alley and it really is there, I would have never found it, but glad I did. The one small welcome margarita was significantly stronger than the two happy hour ones I had at WLR, and the food was excellent. Sunset views were a definite bonus.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The description of food does sound great at El Fish Fritanga. When I was there last year the concierge sent us to El Fish Fritanga. We reached there and went eeek... and left. We are just not into open air or lagoon smell. We are wimpy when it comes to restaurants, we only eat at indoor restaurants.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Just to confirm, does cold water refer to the Westin pool or does it refer to the ocean water?

Thanks very much!

Greg

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
The description of food does sound great at El Fish Fritanga. When I was there last year the concierge sent us to El Fish Fritanga. We reached there and went eeek... and left. We are just not into open air or lagoon smell. We are wimpy when it comes to restaurants, we only eat at indoor restaurants.

Too bad! You missed a great restaurant. La Habichuela Sunset two doors down from there has indoor (and outdoor) dining. I live so much of my time inside because of our weather and my work that I eat outside every chance I get.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Too bad! You missed a great restaurant. La Habichuela Sunset two doors down from there has indoor (and outdoor) dining. I live so much of my time inside because of our weather and my work that I eat outside every chance I get.

We like the original La Habichuela (downtown) even better, and the prices are less there, too. Once you learn how to handle the buses, it's not a bad walk from where you get off the bus. Best to have the concierge give you a map. And if you let them make the reservation for you, you will get free Mayan coffees as well! That's a show in itself.

sungandjudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there on March 4-11/12.
I think the best time to jump into the pool is around 11 am to 1 pm, if the sun is out. That's when the sun heats up the pool the most.
By 3-4 pm, the sun is already on the other side of the building and the temp. starts to drop.
If it's cloudy, then the pools seems cold no matter what the actual temperature is.

Peter

mitchandjeanette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heading to WLR in a week... :whoopie:
I was searching for the grocery store option other than walmart and i can't find the thread... :wall:
I believe it was just south of WLR... :ponder:
I am sure someone here can point me in the right direction... :clap:
thanks
mitch

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
The XOXO is a convenience store nearby. Pretty much everything else needs a cab or a bus. Personally I like Soriana better than the one the WLR concierge was pushing people to last year (it's a small grocery store and doesn't have as much stuff as WalMart/Sams/Costco). You can take the bus to any of these and a taxi back.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
The XOXO is a convenience store nearby. Pretty much everything else needs a cab or a bus. Personally I like Soriana better than the one the WLR concierge was pushing people to last year (it's a small grocery store and doesn't have as much stuff as WalMart/Sams/Costco). You can take the bus to any of these and a taxi back.
actually its OXXO :wave:

golf4hrs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club
Marriott Phuket Beach Club
Room Request

Is there a need and a process to request the best ocean view? I am doing an exchange through II for Thanksgiving week. I thought all rooms had an ocean view with very few exceptions. Just wanted to double check. If there is a way to put in a request, there how far in advance and who do you call?

Thanks for any help in advance!

mitchandjeanette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found the post I was looking for...
Costco:

No. With the Walmart in the same plaza with reasonable prices and not requiring huge quantity purchases, why bother with Costco? Although see my note below for an even better alternative to Walmart

EDIT: Closer to Lagunamar, right off the the main Cancun drag (Kakulkan), where it intersects with Boulevard Tulum, is a Shopping Center (Plaza Las Americas) with a much cleaner, equally reasonable Supermarket called Chedraui. I remember that in my last trip, I much preferred Chadraui and would avoid both Costco & Walmart in the future. I was told about Chedraui by Lagunamar's senior manager. She is right.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never mind found a map

Last edited:

leejaime97

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for things to do...

My wife and I are thinking of booking at Lagunamar in November. We just got back from the Bahamas and we had a blast with excursions, swimming with dolphins in Atlantis, feeding wild iguanas and stingrays near Allan's Cay and wrangling sharks!

Are there similar activities in the surrounding area of Lagunamar?

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are thinking of booking at Lagunamar in November. We just got back from the Bahamas and we had a blast with excursions, swimming with dolphins in Atlantis, feeding wild iguanas and stingrays near Allan's Cay and wrangling sharks!

Are there similar activities in the surrounding area of Lagunamar?

leejamie ... Yes.

Google "Cancun Attractions" or search the TUG Lagunamar threads for same. See what comes up. Salty

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are here now. Pool is very pleasant temperature. Ocean is pleasant too, waves are big but yellow flags so we can go in the water. Slanted beach sadly makes it difficult to take long beach walks.

Lots of activities for kids, volleyball, soccer on the beach, great location with lots of shopping and restaurants.

Internet speed is much better if you plug your router into wired connection and then connect to the router, instead of using the resort wifi.

Service is slow - called four times for extra blanket that never came, restaurant service very slow, bath sink collapsed and it took multiple calls and a final call to our concierge to get them to come up and fix it. But I am not stuck on those small service things, doesn't matter much to me.

Lunch at Oceano is affordable and good - only service was a bit slow. 20 percent discount for Starwood owners.

Presentation incentive is 6,500 points or $100 credit for owners, but we never attend these.