• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone have a Roku?

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Roku? We are looking for something to connect to our exercise room TV. We don't want to pay for another cable box. ( are we really going to be in exercise room a lot? ) Would this be a good choice? Anyone have another idea. It is a nice HD TV. I would like to be able to watch shows I missed, but I know I don't want to pay $24/mo for another DVR. TWC has horrible prices for existing suckers, I mean customers.
If I get a Roku, I would probably get Netflix also.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I have an older very basic one.
It's nice for watching movies but you have to put them in your que and then search for them.

I think I'll upgrade my Roku to a blu-ray with Hulu which is free or Amazon Prime which is only $79 a year and includes movies like Netflix. Just got a Kindle fire so it comes for free on other devices if you get the account. Let's see how long that lasts. :rolleyes:

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have an older Roku. We use the Nextflix Instant a good deal..especially if you like TV programs that have gone to pasture.
I had to giggle today. There was a marathon of an older TV series my daughter likes to watch on "regular television" Normally she picks it up on Roku/Netflix. Today she watched it on TV. She said, WOW..this is so great. I don't have to FF or push buttons to advance to the next show. I just have to sit through commercials. Glass half full, glass half empty. WOW, this is how far we have come.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 3, of the new models. 1 in our living room, one for our daughter and the newest one at our house in Vegas.

I subscribe to Netflix and am an Amazon Prime customer, so I have more TV options than than I know what to do with. No need for other than basic or mid level cable/satellite service. For us it is a great gadget. :)

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Does Amazon Prime have current movies for no extra cost?

I haven't played with it yet but understand that there is a small fee for the new releases. Maybe 99 cents. It's like a Redbox without having to go to Walgreens. :D

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have netflix on an OLD Roku. I have more movies and TV shows in my streaming queue than I will ever watch. Mainly have netflix for the DVD's, but the Roku is nice when I want to watch things like old episodes of andy griffith and some great older movies for no charge. Netflix does not have many recent releases on the streaming for Roku, but they have 1000's of movies available.

I was considering Amazon prime but after reading comments on several web sites i changed my mind. Here is one such web site with unhappy users. I still might try the one month free offer to see for myself, but most every review i read is not a fan of the Amazon prime for Roku.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon ...orum=Fx19TKUDUCVHDNP&cdThread=Tx31BG52YCTN3QB

barond

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a roku and other boxes that play streaming content. If you want netflix & hulu plus & amazon videos (prime or not), then get a roku. It is the best cheapest way to get all three on one box. If you just want netflix there are many ways to get netflix other than just roku. Pretty much every device I have plays netflix. I have 1 roku, 2 boxee boxes, 1 ps3, 1 xbox 360, and 2 wii's all of which play netflix. Hulu plus is a bit harder to find and amazon even more difficult. I personally nave netflix & hulu plus as they help cover a wide variety of tv shows (mostly hulu) and movies (mostly netflix) and amazon fills in the gap with individual shows that we can buy that neither have but the amazon prime is a waste unless you want all 3. I don't have it and I don't have cable. Netflix is the best, hulu plus is second, and amazon prime is last.

Baron

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two, the HD models. They're excellent. The interface is simple, the setup is easy, the picture quality is fine with few compression artifacts. Definitely good value for the money.

I get a better compromise between compression artifacts and picture quality by setting it to 720p. You might have a better connection than I do, I have mine on wireless and Verizon aDSL. If you are wired and have a cable or fiberoptic connection you probably won't have to do that.

Regarding Amazon Prime, I use it because I get a lot of stuff from Amazon. It's worth it to me just for the free shipping.

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I got one last year to use with Netflix streaming and wondered why I didn't do it sooner. I'm still catching up on TV shows I like or never saw before. I especially like the fact that Netflix is streaming shows from cable networks like USA since I don't have cable or satellite. I've found lots of interesting shows and movies--and lots I couldn't get through 10 minutes of--from their recommendations.

I've looked at the free offerings on Amazon Prime, but there's nothing there I want to watch that I can't get with Netflix.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
To those who have questions or concerns about Amazon Prime, just thought I would add a few thoughts.

First, I have had Amazon Prime long before they have the digital services such as video etc.

Second, I primarily use it for free two shipping.

Third, the download services are a bonus and I wouldn't pay for Amazon Prime just for the free or cheaper movies, tv etc.

Just my two cents about it. :)

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got one last year to use with Netflix streaming and wondered why I didn't do it sooner. I'm still catching up on TV shows I like or never saw before. I especially like the fact that Netflix is streaming shows from cable networks like USA since I don't have cable or satellite. I've found lots of interesting shows and movies--and lots I couldn't get through 10 minutes of--from their recommendations.

I've looked at the free offerings on Amazon Prime, but there's nothing there I want to watch that I can't get with Netflix.

Is Netflix streaming current USA network shows or just older ones?

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
There are apps and A/V cables available for most smart phones so that you can stream NetFlix, Hulu (PLUS), etc without having to buy another box. I even use my iPhone to stream videos at the resorts I go to, including WSJ, WKORV, etc. Just plug the RCA plugs into the back of the TV and there you have it.

Last edited:

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are apps and A/V cables available for most smart phones so that you can stream NetFlix, Hulu (PLUS), etc without having to buy another box. I even use my iPhone to stream videos at the resorts I go to, including WSJ, WKORV, etc. Just plug the RCA plugs into the back of the TV and there you have it.

Cool. Does this work with Android phones and tablets? Where do I buy what I need?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Amazon Prime have current movies for no extra cost?

No. I am subscribed to Amazon Prime and it is the equivalent of Netflix Streaming but cheaper and with Amazon 2-day free shipping benefits which to me makes it a better deal. New releases are pricy, anywhere from $2 to $5 depending on the movie and whether you want HD or not.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Is Netflix streaming current USA network shows or just older ones?

Not current seasons. But it has White Collar, Psych, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight, and Monk.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Cool. Does this work with Android phones and tablets? Where do I buy what I need?

I have an iPhone 4s. I started by downloading the free NetFlix app. Then I went on eBay and searched for A/V cables for my phone. I was suspicious of the Chinese retailers, so I bought my cable directly from the Apple store. Funny thing is, when I saw the shipping info from Apple, my cable was coming from one of these Chinese companies. I also signed up for HULU Plus, but they have a monthly fee. Just make sure you are getting the right cable for your phone, because they are not all interchangeable, and the first one I got from APPLE didn't work! There is a lot of chatter on the net about this, but fortunately, the replacement cable they sent me works perfectly. The cable is quite complex. Red, white, and yellow RCA plugs for the TV, the standard Apple docking connector for the phone, plus a USB plug that can connect to your standard AC charging adapter so you don't have to think about your batteries dying while watching TV. Well done, as long as you get a good Wifi connection. But if you DON'T, then you won't be watching ROKU either.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Last edited: