• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Affiliate Purchase: GP MarBrisa vs Bay Club

PenguinTS

Reaction score
If looking to purchase a HGVC affiliate, what are people's thoughts of MarsBrisa vs Bay Club? Seems MarsBrisa has slightly lower MF (even including the CA Tax) but Bay Club are going for pretty good purchase prices but higher MF, so more a less a wash.

Both properties seem to have a VERY CLOSE relationship w/ HGVC more so than other affiliates, which I find appealing.

So been researching HGVC for awhile and comparing the current pricing for an initial buy-in.

Looks because of ROFR prices at HGVC resorts are holding high around $1.1/pt (GLD) to $1.9/pt (PLT) for initial buy-in.

So started to look at some HGVC affiliates which have up-fronts much lower $.33 - $.85 (based on recent sales) even though they have higher MFs, the cost saving is still very significant to make the break-even around 17yrs which is a very long time for TS ownership.

Looking among the affiliate field and given my location on the West Coast, narrowed down to Bay Club and MarsBrisa.

So looking for opinions on those two properties from owners and others.

Thanks!

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a relative newbie to HGVC but have done the same type of research as you. I'm sure there are going to be more educated comments but the things I would add is that your initial HGVC enrolment fee is higher at Marbrisa (more than double the cost of Bay Club). The good thing about Marbrisa is that you would be considered a GPR member as well so if you were exchanging back into any of the GPR resorts via RCI, the 1 in 4 rule would not apply. However, since you live in CA, I'm not sure how much you would be going to those resorts anyways.

Lmar206

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rolled the dice with Bay Club, the price was so low the MF will take a long time to catch up. Bought 7k from seth for 5k, and another 4800 on ebay for $700. 11800 points for 5700, not too bad considering Hilton almost had us 4800 points for 26k!

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rolled the dice with Bay Club, the price was so low the MF will take a long time to catch up. Bought 7k from seth for 5k, and another 4800 on ebay for $700. 11800 points for 5700, not too bad considering Hilton almost had us 4800 points for 26k!

You can't compare Hilton direct prices with resales: if you do that it will make you giddy so much that you will be sick

However, you are paying close to $3K per year in MF for 11,800 points.

Carefully purchased two 7K point packages (such as at Grand pacific palisades) for about $6K each would have given you 14K points at $2K per year of fees. This is significant difference that will add up quickly.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You can't compare Hilton direct prices with resales: if you do that it will make you giddy so much that you will be sick

However, you are paying close to $3K per year in MF for 11,800 points.

You have overstated the Bay Club mf. 4800 pts is $1035, and 7000 is $1250. Its a lot closer than you portray.

Lmar206

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm okay with 11800 for under 6k, don't really have anther 6k sitting around, so could only afford one of those at 7k. As smithop said, mf are just over 2k, I get enough miles to cover flights each year via my cc, so this deal made a lot of sense to us, especially after signing for 26k/4800 points!

Bill4728

Reaction score
There is a huge difference between the two.. The bay club is a true affiliate and all the Grand Pacific Ts are "kind of" affiliates.
Everyone who owns at the bay Club can buy into HGVC for a small price but not all GP owners can easily become a HGVC owner. For many GP owners you have to jump thru a number of hoops to be a HGVC owner.

Good Luck

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a huge difference between the two.. The bay club is a true affiliate and all the Grand Pacific Ts are "kind of" affiliates.
Everyone who owns at the bay Club can buy into HGVC for a small price but not all GP owners can easily become a HGVC owner. For many GP owners you have to jump thru a number of hoops to be a HGVC owner.

Good Luck

OP asked for Marbrisa. Marbrisa is not even an affiliate anymore, it is a core HGVC property and all resales enroll automatically with HGVC (you do not have a choice not to enroll in HGVC). This has been discussed and verified few times on these forums already.

Grand Pacific Palisades and Carlsbad Seapointe are different than Marbrisa.

TheWizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP asked for Marbrisa. Marbrisa is not even an affiliate anymore, it is a core HGVC property and all resales enroll automatically with HGVC (you do not have a choice not to enroll in HGVC). This has been discussed and verified few times on these forums already.

Grand Pacific Palisades and Carlsbad Seapointe are different than Marbrisa.

MarBrisa used to be like Palisades (GPP), but it did change sometime last year and HGVC took over the marketing and management of the resort as mentioned so when you buy there now, you're in (the club). We stayed at MarBrisa last year - still dealing with being new/growing pains... I own two units at GPP and it is quite easy to convert a GPP unit to HGVC points IF you buy direct "resale" from the resort's resale dept. You can buy PLT weeks for ~$1 per pt. and the MFs at GPP are less than at MarBrisa which are less than Bay Club - I highly recommend GPP for HGVC access.

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
Agreement on Marbrisa comments

I think sjuhawk_jd and the wizz are right regarding Marbrisa. I'm not looking to buy, but it seems Marbrisa resales are pretty low right now.

Hilton has figured out that bringing Marbrisa (and nominally, GPP and Seapointe) in was an easy way to expand into the high demand So Cal market.

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were at Marbrisa last July they told us that HGVC took over in June. Also all of the new buildings were being built by HGVC.