• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trapp Family Guest houses ski week?

lanemarie

TUG Member
Reaction score
hello,

I am just getting my feet wet with this whole TS thing but am looking for information on the Trapp Family lodge guest houses.

I would ideally like to purchase a timeshare for skiing and from reading here on TUG, I think I will keep a look out on ebay since most of the timeshare resellers off ebay are asking quite a bit for a week.

What I was wondering is what would you consider prime ski weeks in the stowe vermont area?

Thanks for all and any info you may have.:rofl:

oh, and I gather cybernaut303 is a good seller to deal with...any other suggestions?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
hello,

I am just getting my feet wet with this whole TS thing but am looking for information on the Trapp Family lodge guest houses.

I would ideally like to purchase a timeshare for skiing and from reading here on TUG, I think I will keep a look out on ebay since most of the timeshare resellers off ebay are asking quite a bit for a week.

What I was wondering is what would you consider prime ski weeks in the stowe vermont area?

Thanks for all and any info you may have.:rofl:

oh, and I gather cybernaut303 is a good seller to deal with...any other suggestions?

Martin Luther King week and President's week are prime. The X-mas/New Years week, also. Skiing is probably better in Feb/March, although every year is different and January can be great, too.

dundey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - BLT & WLV, Cliff Club, Bolton Valley, Morritt's, Sudwala
Agree with MLK and Presidents weeks as being prime however most ski resorts are crowded especially during Presidents weekend. If you can ski during the weekdays of those week that would be better!

Trapp Family Lodge is a very nice resort, but is not that close to Stowe.

Depending on where you live, I'd suggest Bolton Valley Resort near Burlington, VT. I bought MLK week there for a relatively low amount and love it. The units are a very short walk to the lifts and it is a very diverse mountain that rarely gets crowded. Great x-country and snow show trails right on site as well! Its really an undiscovered gem!

Smuggler's Notch is another nice choice but I prefer Bolton Valley.

Others that are very nice are Lake Placid Club Lodges, although Whiteface Mountain is 20 minutes away its walking distance to all the activities of Lake Placid and Mirror Lake. So much to do when you're not skiing!

I also own Presidents week at Dover Watch, which is a very small resort but close to Mount Snow which is one of our favorite ski areas in southern Vermont.

PM me for more info, we have skied and stayed in just about every resort and mountain on the east coast!

Oh and join TUG!!!

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Agree with MLK and Presidents weeks as being prime however most ski resorts are crowded especially during Presidents weekend. If you can ski during the weekdays of those week that would be better!

Trapp Family Lodge is a very nice resort, but is not that close to Stowe.

Depending on where you live, I'd suggest Bolton Valley Resort near Burlington, VT. I bought MLK week there for a relatively low amount and love it. The units are a very short walk to the lifts and it is a very diverse mountain that rarely gets crowded. Great x-country and snow show trails right on site as well! Its really an undiscovered gem!

Smuggler's Notch is another nice choice but I prefer Bolton Valley.

Others that are very nice are Lake Placid Club Lodges, although Whiteface Mountain is 20 minutes away its walking distance to all the activities of Lake Placid and Mirror Lake. So much to do when you're not skiing!

I also own Presidents week at Dover Watch, which is a very small resort but close to Mount Snow which is one of our favorite ski areas in southern Vermont.

PM me for more info, we have skied and stayed in just about every resort and mountain on the east coast!

Oh and join TUG!!!

Trapp Family Lodge is in STOWE!:cheer:

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
lanemarie: If you want to cross country ski, buy at Trapp. Ski passes are part of ownership. Trapp has an internal resales department. The number is on the website and both Treg and Bill are easy to talk to. I doubt you will find a resale on Ebay. There was a week three available on MRN for a very low price, but it is gone.

IF you want to downhill ski, I'd advise buying elsewhere. HTH

lanemarie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! I actually joined TUG yesterday but for whatever reason it still states I am a guest...doesnt really bother me because I do have access to the resort reviews etc..

So basically if I understand you correctly if I want to cross country ski, which we do. Trapp is great but I actually may have to buy through trapp directly instead of trying for a re-sale on ebay...

I am somewhat familiar with the area my brother lives in morristown and ski's at Stowe. We have stayed at Trapp before and that was the reason we thought it would be a great location for our family, my brother is about 6 miles (20minutes due to winding back roads) away and our kiddos are all the same age! so this would be a great purchase for us, I dont think we would trade all that often but was wondering which weeks would be prime incase in the future we do want to trade.

it sounds like christmas break, presidents week and most likely weeks 1-10 would be ideal that is for a fixed week.

Again, thanks for the advise!

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
lanemarie: We usually go around week 5. I think you have the dates correct for what are usually good ski weeks. If you want to buy, call and ask. The In-house resale program has the largest inventory of available resales. I believe the resale office considers itself an agent of the multiple HOAs, not Trapp, but the office is in the main lodge just off the lobby.

If you have the resources, consider a Villa. They have a sale going now for the last few weeks available.

HTH

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thanks for all the info! I actually joined TUG yesterday but for whatever reason it still states I am a guest...doesnt really bother me because I do have access to the resort reviews etc..

So basically if I understand you correctly if I want to cross country ski, which we do. Trapp is great but I actually may have to buy through trapp directly instead of trying for a re-sale on ebay...

I am somewhat familiar with the area my brother lives in morristown and ski's at Stowe. We have stayed at Trapp before and that was the reason we thought it would be a great location for our family, my brother is about 6 miles (20minutes due to winding back roads) away and our kiddos are all the same age! so this would be a great purchase for us, I dont think we would trade all that often but was wondering which weeks would be prime incase in the future we do want to trade.

it sounds like christmas break, presidents week and most likely weeks 1-10 would be ideal that is for a fixed week.

Again, thanks for the advise!

Have you considered Smugglers Notch?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since Wyndham bought Smuggler's Notch, you don't have to buy SN weeks. Just buy the amount of points you need to enjoy SN, and you could use those points in Colorado Rockies resorts.

TS

dundey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trapp Family Lodge is in STOWE!:cheer:

I know, I meant that you have to drive to get to the ski hill. Poor choice of words on my part!

I'd also suggest Bolton Valley for cross country skiing there are 88 kg of trails on site!! Check it out:

http://www.boltonvalley.com/the-mountain/nordic-and-backcountry

And it is a very short walk to the lifts for downhill. Almost ski in - ski out.
Really the best of both worlds. HOWEVER, the resort is not as new or nice as Trapp.

Smuggs is another great choice. We own at both Bolton & Smuggs.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I had not but will look into it. I havent stayed there so I would have to visit it.

Thanks

Ask to stay in the newer units if you do visit - Tamaracks, Sycamores, Aspens, Mountain Estates, etc. Willows is nice, also, and Mountain Laurels, Trailside Highlands.. You could try a private rental from an owner, also. If you don't want Wyndham points, you could try to buy resale from an owner of RCI points or deeded weeks. Good luck!:)

lanemarie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great advise! I need to learn more about the point system so I will be reading up on it on TUG. I have been checking out smuggs it looks pretty amazing on line. Thanks again for all the info. I wont likely purchase until I feel confident on where I want to purchase we are planning on going to VT later this month, So I will be checking out where we want to stay...

Thanks again to all of you, this site is amazing I feel lucky to have found it!:whoopie:

I wish I was going to VT for some skiing this week....the snow is amazing!

sooooo, I thought of one more question. Which resort in this area would you consider the most desirable for trading? Again I will most likely use this timeshare but after reading on TUG I realized it is smart to purchase a unit with trade power...my kids are young so for the next 10-15 years we will likely visit VT annually for a ski trip since that is what we have been trying to do these past years. of course we have only stayed at TRAPP (in the lodge) which is pretty expensive.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Great advise! I need to learn more about the point system so I will be reading up on it on TUG. I have been checking out smuggs it looks pretty amazing on line. Thanks again for all the info. I wont likely purchase until I feel confident on where I want to purchase we are planning on going to VT later this month, So I will be checking out where we want to stay...

Thanks again to all of you, this site is amazing I feel lucky to have found it!:whoopie:

I wish I was going to VT for some skiing this week....the snow is amazing!

sooooo, I thought of one more question. Which resort in this area would you consider the most desirable for trading? Again I will most likely use this timeshare but after reading on TUG I realized it is smart to purchase a unit with trade power...my kids are young so for the next 10-15 years we will likely visit VT annually for a ski trip since that is what we have been trying to do these past years. of course we have only stayed at TRAPP (in the lodge) which is pretty expensive.

Again, I can't speak about any other VT resorts, but Smugglers Notch is a Gold Crown Resort and I have been able to get pretty nice trades with even my off-season weeks - like Hawaii, Williamsburg, Va, Florida, Arizona, Maine, New Hampshire. The prime weeks have high point value. Smugglers Notch is great for kids - they cater to kids there....a real family place.....We don't even trade any more now - we only go there - on and off-season. We rent when we want to go somewhere else. If you buy - I would buy where you wouldn't mind going to all the time if you couldn't find a trade. If you can drive instead of fly - all the better. :)

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks for all the info! I actually joined TUG yesterday but for whatever reason it still states I am a guest.

You need to do one more thing. See these instructions which are found by clicking on the yellow BBS Help on the blue bar at the top of this page.

dundey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For trading I can't say too much since we typically use our weeks.
I do know that Trapp only trades through II and not RCI.

And Smuggs & Bolton are with RCI.

Dollie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Different sides of the mountain

Something you might want to keep in mind. Trapp is on the east side of the mountain, Smugs is on the west side. Even though they are connected by Rt 108, you can’t drive from one to the other during the winter without going the long way around. Rt 108 through Smugglers Notch is not open in the winter.

lanemarie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, I can't speak about any other VT resorts, but Smugglers Notch is a Gold Crown Resort and I have been able to get pretty nice trades with even my off-season weeks - like Hawaii, Williamsburg, Va, Florida, Arizona, Maine, New Hampshire. The prime weeks have high point value. Smugglers Notch is great for kids - they cater to kids there....a real family place.....We don't even trade any more now - we only go there - on and off-season. We rent when we want to go somewhere else. If you buy - I would buy where you wouldn't mind going to all the time if you couldn't find a trade. If you can drive instead of fly - all the better. :)

We have decided to check Smuggs out later this month when we are visiting VT. Do you know if resales are easy enough to find? where would you look? Thanks.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We have decided to check Smuggs out later this month when we are visiting VT. Do you know if resales are easy enough to find? where would you look? Thanks.

Resales used to be handled by Smuggs until Wyndham took over. Now, Smuggs owners are on their own. Supposedly, someone who used to work at Smuggs (a real estate person) is setting up shop somewhere nearby and going to handle the private resales separate from Smuggs. I belong to 2 groups of Smuggs owners, so if you don't see anything on TUG or any of the other timeshares for sale on-line sites, just send me a private message here and I will get the word out for you when you are ready...

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score

Does Smuggs have X-country? If you want to X-country ski, that is a consideration.

Trapp is at the highest level of resorts in II. I'm sure it trades very well.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Does Smuggs have X-country? If you want to X-country ski, that is a consideration.

Trapp is at the highest level of resorts in II. I'm sure it trades very well.[/QUOTE

I believe Smuggs has cross country and snowshoeing, although I heard that Trapps has the best cross country. There is a snowshoe activity that is really fun at Smuggs. You go up on a ski lift in the afternoon and then snowshoe on top of the mountain around Sterling Pond. Then, they serve you a gourmet dinner by candlelight in a heated cabin up there (bring your own spirits) and then you snow shoe down the mountain at night with the group under the stars!

Also, I believe they have snowmobile trips through "the Notch" at night with headlamps!

I am going next winter for the first time and am looking forward to these and other activities, as we do not ski. (We are summer owners there):hi:

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score

Trapp is at the highest level of resorts in II. I'm sure it trades very well.[/QUOTE

I believe Smuggs has cross country and snowshoeing, although I heard that Trapps has the best cross country. There is a snowshoe activity that is really fun at Smuggs. You go up on a ski lift in the afternoon and then snowshoe on top of the mountain around Sterling Pond. Then, they serve you a gourmet dinner by candlelight in a heated cabin up there (bring your own spirits) and then you snow shoe down the mountain at night with the group under the stars!

Also, I believe they have snowmobile trips through "the Notch" at night with headlamps!

I am going next winter for the first time and am looking forward to these and other activities, as we do not ski. (We are summer owners there):hi:

I'll check into the snowshoe and dinner. Maybe my wife and I will try that next year. It sounds fun.

I'm not sure how to define "best" X-country skiing. Highly skilled folks enjoy Trapp tremendously. We are less accomplished and would never attempt some of their trails on skis. Snowshoes are good. :hi:

lanemarie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resales used to be handled by Smuggs until Wyndham took over. Now, Smuggs owners are on their own. Supposedly, someone who used to work at Smuggs (a real estate person) is setting up shop somewhere nearby and going to handle the private resales separate from Smuggs. I belong to 2 groups of Smuggs owners, so if you don't see anything on TUG or any of the other timeshares for sale on-line sites, just send me a private message here and I will get the word out for you when you are ready...

Great! I did some searching and the units seem to be priced pretty high in some cases. But I will send a PM when and if we decide on Smuggs.

lanemarie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll check into the snowshoe and dinner. Maybe my wife and I will try that next year. It sounds fun.

I'm not sure how to define "best" X-country skiing. Highly skilled folks enjoy Trapp tremendously. We are less accomplished and would never attempt some of their trails on skis. Snowshoes are good. :hi:

honestly, my heart has been set on Trapp since my family has gone there over the past couple of years. again we only stay a few days in the lodge so we probably havent explored all that there is to offer.

the location of trapp in regards to my brother is great too! so for now I am leaning more towards trapp. But since there has been so much buzz about smuggs i feel like I need to check it out.

thanks for all the help....I will let you all know what we decide.:wave: