• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

One other nice thing to say about the DC

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Whie it's probably well known that I can be critical of the DC, I do notice the positive aspects of the program. One advantage I hadn't given much thought to became apparent while the frustration of being able to actually book the 2013 vacations I'm planing.

That advantage is being able to book at the 12 months mark (13 months if you're in the premier catagory) rather than 9 to 10 months in advance. The two other points based reseravtions systems we own have a home resort booking window that causes a delay in my ability to book in network resorts other than where we own our deeds or, in the case of DRI and if we were trust based owners, in the group of resorts in the particular trust we might own in.

It occurs to me that most, if not all, points based systems have a delay for booking due to a home resort advantage. In the begining, I was thinking not having a home resort might be a big disadvantage. Now, as we've made plans and must wait for reservations windows to open, I feel it's more of an advantage to be able to book wherever, whatever and whichever resort or destination that fits our needs.

Unfotrunately, I still have to wait a few more months to book our planned summer vacation using our legacy DC points. :eek:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I was thinking not having a home resort might be a big disadvantage. Now, as we've made plans and must wait for reservations windows to open, I feel it's more of an advantage to be able to book wherever, whatever and whichever resort or destination that fits our needs.

I think the lack of home resort advantage is only a disadvantage to those buying trust points. For us legacy owners, we still have a home resort advantage where we can book our week or opt for points. We get the benefit from no home resort advantage when we convert to points and book in DC at 12 months.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I think the lack of home resort advantage is only a disadvantage to those buying trust points. For us legacy owners, we still have a home resort advantage where we can book our week or opt for points. We get the benefit from no home resort advantage when we convert to points and book in DC at 12 months.

I don't even think it's a detriment to trust point owners. The trust is set up so that they can book anywhere, anytime. While I like my home resorts, if I were a trust points owner, I could book my favorite resort and my favorite view anytime I wanted, regardless of season, so long as I had the points to do it.

Plus, let's think about a young family who's favorite resort might be in Orlando during the summer months. Later on, the kids grow up and now the parents favorite resort might be in Hawaii with an ocean view, a plane ticket they might not have been able to afford for the entire family when the kids were younger. Not being tied to a home resort can be a good thing as life changes. It'd certainly be easier to just make the reservation with points rather than deposit an Orlando week and attempt to exchange for the desired Hawaii week.

Of course, this assumes you have enough points to reserve what you want and, that the DC will actually have the inventory to make the reservation. As pointed out in the past, sales staff will be selling the high value, most popular weeks as the idea of what you can do with the DC, which could in turn put strain on that inventory if everyone is attempting to book it. I've seen this with Hilton as the salesmen sell Vegas and Orlando with the idea everyone can easily book Hawaii. Over the years it's become tough to book Hawaii since so many buy Vegas an Orlando but try to go to Hawaii.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course, this assumes you have enough points to reserve what you want and, that the DC will actually have the inventory to make the reservation. As pointed out in the past, sales staff will be selling the high value, most popular weeks as the idea of what you can do with the DC, which could in turn put strain on that inventory if everyone is attempting to book it. I've seen this with Hilton as the salesmen sell Vegas and Orlando with the idea everyone can easily book Hawaii. Over the years it's become tough to book Hawaii since so many buy Vegas an Orlando but try to go to Hawaii.

Doug,

I don't think this will be as much of a problem on the trust side. Unlike HGVC there's no cheap way in to the trust. Even a "cheap" Ko Olina 2 bedroom Ko Olina MV is 4700 pts. The prime week, prime MOC 6-7K with holidays even more. I don't see a lot of trust buyers making that kind of investment right away. It will be the Legacy point users who have enough points to take all the prime weeks.

I'm not sure if this was a smart move or not. It will maximize the profit per point, but it may limit sales as well. Both HGVC and DVC use the "Jewel" properties to attract buyers, then finish the sale on the "value" resort with the point is a point theory.