• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Time shares in Oahu

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
We are looking at going to Oahu, HI and I see like 17 RCI property's on the RCI website, but I also see here not many are RCI point propertys.... If I have points does that mean I can't get into the other property's? Thanks my first day as a member here... Dave :hi:

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Do you have the traditional points timeshare, or the newer RCI weeks with TPU (points light)?

Magic1962

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you have the traditional points timeshare, or the newer RCI weeks with TPU (points light)?
I don't know.... I would bet the traditional points.... I got it off of ebay before I saw this website... Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, you can go into the traditional Points TSs by selecting 'Search for an Exchange Vacation' which uses your points. Or you can select 'More Vacations & Benefits for the Extra Vacations and Last Calls, which are cash deals and don't require your points. There was a way to get into 'Weeks' resorts using points for solid 7 night ressies, but I can't find it now.

I am not what you'd call a power user, using my points to trade around and my one fixed week for just that 'cause I like the resort and the week. There are reduced point 'deals' inside of 30 days before move-in (used to be 45), but I find them to be mostly less-than-desirable leftovers that even RCI can't rent.

Oh the quick way to tell if your points are new or old is if they number in the thousands, they are traditional, if they are under 100 a year, it's TPU's- the new ones.

Jim

Magic1962

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dave, you can go into the traditional Points TSs by selecting 'Search for an Exchange Vacation' which uses your points. Or you can select 'More Vacations & Benefits for the Extra Vacations and Last Calls, which are cash deals and don't require your points. There was a way to get into 'Weeks' resorts using points for solid 7 night ressies, but I can't find it now.

I am not what you'd call a power user, using my points to trade around and my one fixed week for just that 'cause I like the resort and the week. There are reduced point 'deals' inside of 30 days before move-in (used to be 45), but I find them to be mostly less-than-desirable leftovers that even RCI can't rent.

Oh the quick way to tell if your points are new or old is if they number in the thousands, they are traditional, if they are under 100 a year, it's TPU's- the new ones.

Jim

Hey Jim, thanks.... I get 74000 a year and will have 148000 to use... I am told it will be about 4 more weeks before I will get the confirmation from RCI... I am hoping to get a two - bedroom for 10 days in Aug. Sept. or Oct. of this year.... who knows... Dave

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Jim, thanks.... I get 74000 a year and will have 148000 to use... I am told it will be about 4 more weeks before I will get the confirmation from RCI... I am hoping to get a two - bedroom for 10 days in Aug. Sept. or Oct. of this year.... who knows... Dave

Call RCI in about a week or 2 (or once you see your credit card charged) and they should be able to give you a member number and info to login. This is what I did and got my access about 5 weeks prior to my membership packet arriving in the mail,

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't want to rain on your parade

But getting a 2 bedroom on Oahu is going to be next to impossible. There are very few, and most of them are lock outs, so the owners deposit them as 1 bedrooms and studios. Now on Kauai or Kona, maybe even Maui you stand a pretty good chance.

Greg

Magic1962

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the ideas.... is it expensive to go from Island to Island? We would like to spend some time in Honolulu? or would it make sense to get like a week at one island and 3 days at another or is that possible either???? thanks for all responses!!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's about $100 per person to fly between islands. It will be nearly impossible for you to get two partial week exchanges, and if you've only got a week, it's kind of a waste of time to change islands. The flights are short, but everything else at each end of the trip will waste most of a day.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
10 day trip

I think the best thing for you to do is to take an RCI exchange for 7 days on Maui, Big Island, or Kaui. If you wanted to spend say 3 days on Oahu, rent a reservation from a Marriott owner who is looking to rent points. Sunday-Thursday nights at Mariott Ko Olina can be rented for about $275/night Mountain view and $350/ night Ocean view. That's a good deal for a 2-Bedroom on Oahu. If you wanted to stay in Waikiki, You could rent a few nights at the Wydham Waikiki Beach Walk. I saw they had some 2-bedrooms this summer for $330/night.

If you do Waikiki, I wouldn't get a car. If you did Ko Olina I would get a car.