• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Last Minute Cancellation

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the very last minute (i.e. this coming weekend) a friend cannot use their Marriott timeshare.

I can use it if they can switch the days to April (or maybe they can use it then).

Do they have ANY options??? Is there a way to change the dates with Marriott?

Thank you,
Judy

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Within 14 days you can't even deposit it into II. Marriott makes changes until 60 days. However, it never hurts to call and perhaps elicit someone's sympathy.

The only other option would be to post a distressed listing here on Tug for a last minute rental.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Consider calling II today

At least seven days beforehand they can cancel and get an "impaired" week back - usually restricted to sightings good for 30 days before date. They also lose their exchange fee. You could have them call Marriott today and tell them they did not know taht rule because they never had to do this before, this came up suddently etc. Counselor will usually say that is what insurance is for but if it is a very popular week and they are contrite and ask to speak to supervisor they may get this cancellation. Funtime

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they have trip cancellation insurance, I think they may be able to change it but I am not sure.
That's a good question.
I bought insurance & all that I was told was that I would not "lose" my week if I had to cancel last minute.
But, embarrassingly, I did not really think it through. Stupid, I know.
So, perhaps somebody here could explain what happens if you have insurance and you have to cancel. Can you simply re-book for another time?

If your friend does not have insurance, then as suggested, try a "Last Minute" rental ad here onTUG.
He/she cld also post a rental ad on Redweek where people are always looking.

Smooth Air:cool:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I thought the trip insurance just refunds your MF and, for the more expensive plan, other travel fees up to the listed amount, but did not offer rescheduling as an option. I could be wrong though.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I thought the trip insurance just refunds your MF and, for the more expensive plan, other travel fees up to the listed amount, but did not offer rescheduling as an option. I could be wrong though.

This is correct. I would only cover financial costs associated with the trip. The trip insurance won't force Marriott to II to schedule a new date for you.

I think that insurance bought through II and RCI may work differently though.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. When I reserved my Marriott weeks , the rez agent told me "If you buy Travel Insurance, you won't lose your weeks if you have to cancel." I took that to mean that I could re-book. But it now sounds as if it means they will refund my MFs for the weeks.
I guess I shd pay more attention.
In the end, refunded MFs is better than nothing, right?

Luckybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont know if this will help and I dont know if it is something they do all the time or if they made an exception(and whether it had to do with the fact that the week involved was U.S thanksgiving in Aruba), but I can tell you that we were able to make a deposit within the 14 days with I.I 8 years ago due to a serious medical issue. We were restricted to the same rules for booking a later week as we would have been for a deposit within 60 days. Quite frankly we were extremely inpressed with their consideration esp knowing that they didnt have to do it :)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting. When I reserved my Marriott weeks , the rez agent told me "If you buy Travel Insurance, you won't lose your weeks if you have to cancel." I took that to mean that I could re-book. But it now sounds as if it means they will refund my MFs for the weeks.
I guess I shd pay more attention.
In the end, refunded MFs is better than nothing, right?

I haven't read through the policy offered through Marriott, but from what I have read about RCIs policy, it offers TPU protection. If you have to cancel for a covered reason, they give you back the TPUs used for the exchange and credit the exchange fee. So you could rebook the exchange later. I am not sure if IIs policy works the same.

However, standard trip insurance covers financial loss and won't be able to get you replacement weeks.

Last edited:

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought my Trip Cancellation Insurance from the the Marriott rez agent who reserved my weeks for me, not through II.