• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VIP program

pavlovsdog00

Reaction score
Sorry that a noob is flooding your message board with questions...but you guys are really a great resource.

As you may have read in my previous post I didn't go for the sales pitch from HGVC, but I did purchase the VIP program for $1695 (7000 points over 18 months).

...now that I understand this process more I am considering canceling and using that money towards a resale. Does that sound like a good idea, or is there a reason anyone knows why I should give the VIP a shot?

Does anyone have any experience with canceling? Anything I should know/do? How long does it take to get my money back (and yes I am within the 10 day cancellation window)

Thanks in advance

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My $.02 opinion: Yes, you should cancel. Iirc, they have 45 days to return/credit your card account. If that turns out to be bogus advice, you can always buy again from a developer. Once the rescission window closes, that option no longer exists.

Best wishes.

Jim

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Most people will tell you to rescind, but it depends on how you use the points. I've had a couple of these in the past and got multiple weeks in Hawaii for far less than I would have paid for hotel rooms.

pavlovsdog00

Reaction score
Yeah I actually think the VIP program is a good deal, but after seeing the resale prices I think my 1695 is better spent towards a purchase closing.

I'm leaning towards canceling.

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, cancel and use the funds toward a resale if you really know you want to buy HGVC.

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also signed up for the $1,695 VIP program and made a two bedroom reservation for 7 nights at the Grand Waikikian for this August. A two bedroom during platinum season at the GW is more than 7,000 points, so I was surprised they let us book this unit.

The downside is that no view category could be specified. We could only request ocean view and hope for the best.

pavlovsdog00

Reaction score
We also signed up for the $1,695 VIP program and made a two bedroom reservation for 7 nights at the Grand Waikikian for this August. A two bedroom during platinum season at the GW is more than 7,000 points, so I was surprised they let us book this unit.

The downside is that no view category could be specified. We could only request ocean view and hope for the best.

Just out of curiosity do you think you'll end up buying when you have your second presentation in Hawaii? I just dread the thought of another one of those (mine was 3 hours...so much for 90 minutes). This time will probably be 90 minutes of them harping on the fact that the 1695 can be used towards closing.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Just out of curiosity do you think you'll end up buying when you have your second presentation in Hawaii? I just dread the thought of another one of those (mine was 3 hours...so much for 90 minutes). This time will probably be 90 minutes of them harping on the fact that the 1695 can be used towards closing.

I wouldn't be so quick to cancel the VIP membership. It gives you a chance to try it out to see if it is indeed something you want before you shell out thousands more.

What I got out of these points myself is a total of 16 days (includes two days for a "follow-up" presentation). Of those 16 days, six days were 1 bdm and eight days were 2 bdm. The 2 bdms are for upcoming spring break week and July 4th week. I stretched the points by avoiding weekends due to the higher point cost and did either 3 or 4 day vacations. That worked for me because they are within driving distance. I also used it for day use one time.

One nice thing about the VIP membership is that they do not charge the $49 fee for club reservations so making many shorter vacations doesn't cost you any more. Of course, it helps if you can drive to some of the locations for the shorter stays.

So, it isn't like you are just throwing away $1700 - you are getting vacations out of it and trying the whole HGVC system out to make sure you WANT to invest into a purchase.

They may have changed it now but for my second follow-up presentation, I was required to schedule it BEFORE I used any of the points. That of course made it EASY to say no. I simply told them that I haven't had the chance to experience the HGVC way so I was not going to purchase at that time. They sweetened the pot to try to get me to say yes but I held firm. Made things go REAL quick.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
I'd cancel and put it toward a resale purchase as long as they aren't holding onto a "deposit".

pavlovsdog00

Reaction score
My contract mentions you can spread the 7000 points over 2 vacations (but only two vacations). Am I missing something there? Are you actually able to use it over multiple vacations?

I never implied that the VIP offer was a bad deal (in fact I think it is pretty fair)...I'm just thinking about the fact that the 1700 can actually get the ball rolling on a resale purchase.

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score

We will definitely not buy from them. We bought 4800 points resale and have used up our allotment this year. The VIP package seemed reasonable to us for securing a platinum week in a two bedroom at the GW booked 9 months out. We have had good luck booking Open Season two bedroom units in HHV several times now for stays of 4-6 nights, however, this is during off season periods.

IMO, cancel and think about resale. You should be able to purchase the VIP program in the future if it fits your needs, although it may go up in price.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
My contract mentions you can spread the 7000 points over 2 vacations (but only two vacations). Am I missing something there? Are you actually able to use it over multiple vacations?

They may have changed it since I purchased the VIP. I checked my VIP contract and there was no mention about maximum number of vacations I could use with the points. It did mention some resorts have a two or three day minimum stay..