• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Converting Fixed to Points

Reaction score
There are a couple threads currently mentioning how Wyndham Dolphins Cove is exchanging weeks for points at no charge. I looked on eBay and found a couple WDC points, but no WDC fixed weeks (unless I am searching wrong). Those that had fixed weeks were renting them out.

Question is, if I purchased another Wyndham Fixed-Week resort, what do they usually charge to convert to points? My thought is, if a resort can get a person to switch to points, it frees up that suite for either Wyndham Points or RCI to fill it.

TS

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own a fixed week at Star Island, it might NOT be in the Wyndham section of that resort.

As for freeing up that week, I don't think that matters in the grand scheme of things. Your Fixed Week is the only underlying ARP available to YOU; but the will have YOUR dollars to convert and your CWP fees yearly in addition to your MFs paid. If you do NOT have a PRIME Week, you still pay the FULL Weekly MF as divided by the resort; not the MFs per thousand that UDI owners would pay at the resort. So Wyndham wins your money. Still cheaper to be a UDI points contract for less than a $10 and get cheaper fees.

Reaction score
Just clarifying, I am not talking about Star Island. I know that Star Island is not a Wyndham-managed property, but I also see other Wyndham properties with Fixed Weeks online for sale.

Just wondering if a Wyndham property (ie Wyndham Palm Aire) would exchange Fixed Week for Points, and what do resorts like WPA usually charge for it?

TS

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... Just wondering if a Wyndham property (ie Wyndham Palm Aire) would exchange Fixed Week for Points, and what do resorts like WPA usually charge for it? TS

Usally about $2,500 or so, I forget the exact number. I have heard it said this can be negotiable. If it is in conjunction was a new purchase, it is usally 89 dollars. If you do this, see if they will make the points VIP eligable points as a written part of the agreement.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
With far too many resale points on the market for a few hundred dollars - or far less as in free - paying to convert usually makes zero sense. The big question is do you want two ownerships & the associated annual fees or just one? If one then it is still likely cheaper to sell/give away your fixed week & pick up those inexpensive resale points. Usually cheaper to that than convert a fixed week to points.

Dealing directly with Wyndham is nearly always a costly mistake as they have purposely undermined resale values - making them a great value while any retail purchase represents a guaranteed 95%+ loss of your money on the day the rescind rights expire. Not a good move.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a couple threads currently mentioning how Wyndham Dolphins Cove is exchanging weeks for points at no charge. I looked on eBay and found a couple WDC points, but no WDC fixed weeks (unless I am searching wrong). Those that had fixed weeks were renting them out.

Question is, if I purchased another Wyndham Fixed-Week resort, what do they usually charge to convert to points? My thought is, if a resort can get a person to switch to points, it frees up that suite for either Wyndham Points or RCI to fill it.

TS

I just learned what was behind Wyndhams offer to Dolphins Cove fixed weeks owners. They offered to take the fixed week in trade for points in Club Wyndhan Access...This is not the usual points conversion where a fixed weeks owner keeps his weeks and points are laid over top of it.(and it costs over $2000 for the conversion)

Dolphin Cove fixed week ownere were asked to give upo their ownership there in exchange for CWA points...no charge

Why is that? I think I figured it out

Recently Wyndham and a group of Worldmark owners settled their court action...as part of that settlement Wyndhan is required to put 21 Dolphins Cove units into Worldmark......Where will they get these units? They are, I think, "buying weeks" from fixed week owners with CWA points

This is such a special situation that I wouldnt look for them to make similar offers, at any other resorts The regular fee is i think about $2300 for the first week and $950 for additional weeks done at the same time

Does it make sense to convert weeks to points? perhaps; There are some lockoffs at some resorts in prime season that convert to over 200000 points...Ridewithme's July 4th lockoff at Kingsgate would convert to 238000 points, with an mf of about $3.50/1000..... If you had 2 of these it would cost about $3200 to convert to 476000 points

Check the cost to buy that many points with mf that low. If you have the weeks and you want the points, It may be worth the money....I dont think, however that it makes sense to go out and buy a week with the expressed purpose of swapping it for points

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just learned what was behind Wyndhams offer to Dolphins Cove fixed weeks owners. They offered to take the fixed week in trade for points in Club Wyndhan Access...This is not the usual points conversion where a fixed weeks owner keeps his weeks and points are laid over top of it.(and it costs over $2000 for the conversion)

Dolphin Cove fixed week ownere were asked to give upo their ownership there in exchange for CWA points...no charge

Why is that? I think I figured it out

Recently Wyndham and a group of Worldmark owners settled their court action...as part of that settlement Wyndhan is required to put 21 Dolphins Cove units into Worldmark......Where will they get these units? They are, I think, "buying weeks" from fixed week owners with CWA points

This is such a special situation that I wouldnt look for them to make similar offers, at any other resorts The regular fee is i think about $2300 for the first week and $950 for additional weeks done at the same time

Does it make sense to convert weeks to points? perhaps; There are some lockoffs at some resorts in prime season that convert to over 200000 points...Ridewithme's July 4th lockoff at Kingsgate would convert to 238000 points, with an mf of about $3.50/1000..... If you had 2 of these it would cost about $3200 to convert to 476000 points

Check the cost to buy that many points with mf that low. If you have the weeks and you want the points, It may be worth the money....I dont think, however that it makes sense to go out and buy a week with the expressed purpose of swapping it for points

Thanks for the update Ron. Makes sense. Do you know of anywhere that the settlement language is available?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Ron. Makes sense. Do you know of anywhere that the settlement language is available?

On the Worldmark owners forum here: http://www.wmowners.com/forum/files/wyndham_settlement_agreement_214.pdf

as I understand it all parties just gave up and wanted this case to end...So they came to a settlement that made no one happy

Wyndham is taking a bunch of units out of Worldmark, and slightly reducing the credits required for a reservation at others

My question is...what will they do with the units taken out of Worldmark?...Can we look forward to them coming into Club Wyndham???

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the Worldmark owners forum here: http://www.wmowners.com/forum/files/wyndham_settlement_agreement_214.pdf

as I understand it all parties just gave up and wanted this case to end...So they came to a settlement that made no one happy

Wyndham is taking a bunch of units out of Worldmark, and slightly reducing the credits required for a reservation at others

My question is...what will they do with the units taken out of Worldmark?...Can we look forward to them coming into Club Wyndham???

Yes, I am sure that is the idea. As I have said before, the Worldmark trust documents have prevented Wyndham from accessing the Worldmark inventory as they had envisioned (and implied in sales presentations). The two systems are not able to be fully integrated on a large scale and, IMO, their only real option for making additional inventory available to either will be inventory that Wyndham gains control of through either 1) convincing WM owners to trade their WM Club points for Wyndham points (won't occur often, IMO) or2) acquiring inventory (represented as points in WM) through foreclosure/non payment. (This is likely what occurred with the recent thread regarding the cancellation of the OP's Worldmark contract for non-payment. I suspect that those points may have been pulled into Wyndham's inventory access for Worldmark).

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am sure that is the idea. As I have said before, the Worldmark trust documents have prevented Wyndham from accessing the Worldmark inventory as they had envisioned (and implied in sales presentations). The two systems are not able to be fully integrated on a large scale and, IMO, their only real option for making additional inventory available to either will be inventory that Wyndham gains control of through either 1) convincing WM owners to trade their WM Club points for Wyndham points (won't occur often, IMO) or2) acquiring inventory (represented as points in WM) through foreclosure/non payment. (This is likely what occurred with the recent thread regarding the cancellation of the OP's Worldmark contract for non-payment. I suspect that those points may have been pulled into Wyndham's inventory access for Worldmark).

by owning the management contract at Worldmark and Club Wyndham, Wyndham has already brought certain economies to the operations...I called Worldmark the other day and was surprised to hear the sane awful on hold music as I hear when I call Wyndham...Turns out that they operate out of the same call center...and there are some resorts where Worldmark has some units and Club Wyndham some others (Avenue Plaza and Ocean Walk) This agreement will probably give us more

Since the Worldmark trust agreement is set, and Wyndham hasent been able to break it to their own purposes, I see Wyndham moving Club Wyndham toward a Worldmark business model,...Its called Club Wyndham Access

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
by owning the management contract at Worldmark and Club Wyndham, Wyndham has already brought certain economies to the operations...I called Worldmark the other day and was surprised to hear the sane awful on hold music as I hear when I call Wyndham...Turns out that they operate out of the same call center...and there are some resorts where Worldmark has some units and Club Wyndham some others (Avenue Plaza and Ocean Walk) This agreement will probably give us more

Since the Worldmark trust agreement is set, and Wyndham hasent been able to break it to their own purposes, I see Wyndham moving Club Wyndham toward a Worldmark business model,...Its called Club Wyndham Access

I agree with your analogies. It should be noted that the court agreement is dated Oct 21, 2010 so the first transfer phase should already be complete but I would say has still not been fully implemented. The WM inventory was to come from "underutilized" properties as identified on the list on P. 54 of the settlement documents. These properties ARE among the ones available to book online through Wyndham's system, but not all of the listed properties appear to be available yet - Denarau Island, Pinetop and Las Vegas Tropicana.

antjmar

Reaction score
There are some lockoffs at some resorts in prime season that convert to over 200000 points...Ridewithme's July 4th lockoff at Kingsgate would convert to 238000 points, with an mf of about $3.50/1000..... If you had 2 of these it would cost about $3200 to convert to 476000 points

Ron,
just some additional info in case someone is thinking about doing this. You need to also add the .51 per 1k points program fee, which brings the cost up slightly. About $120 a year for 238k points.
For one contract it will take 10 years to break even compared to just buying a similar contact that has already been converted.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron,
just some additional info in case someone is thinking about doing this. You need to also add the .51 per 1k points program fee, which brings the cost up slightly. About $120 a year for 238k points.
For one contract it will take 10 years to break even compared to just buying a similar contact that has already been converted.

I tried to factor in the program fee, I may have been off a little

mf= 767 plus 120 =887 divided by 238=$3.80

I agree it probably dosent make sense to go out and buy one of these contracts to convert,,,but if you already owned one and wanted the points option... then maybe.....

antjmar

Reaction score
I tried to factor in the program fee, I may have been off a little

mf= 767 plus 120 =887 divided by 238=$3.80

I agree it probably dosent make sense to go out and buy one of these contracts to convert,,,but if you already owned one and wanted the points option... then maybe.....

Thanks Ron I should have known you already added it! :) I thought I read in another post That Ride was paying $816 a year thats why it seemed low to me.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron I should have known you already added it! :) I thought I read in another post That Ride was paying $816 a year thats why it seemed low to me.

I never ended up buying that Kingsgate ownership(a week 51 which i would have immediately converted to 238,000 points, since IMO, it has no other value)...I own at a week 27 at Patriots Place which is the $816

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I never ended up buying that Kingsgate ownership(a week 51 which i would have immediately converted to 238,000 points, since IMO, it has no other value)...I own at a week 27 at Patriots Place which is the $816

The unit you ran into and did not take may be back, or a similar one. CJ Timeshares just ended an action early because they said 3 bedroom week 51 at Patriots Place. When I talked to them about this, they said the deed was actually for Wydham Williamsburg. Since there are no 3 bedrooms at Patriots Place, they ended the action early with no bidders while they figure out what is going on. My complements to CJ Timeshares, they pulled the add instead of proceeding with the auction when they confirmed what they advertised was not what the unit apparently was.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
The unit you ran into and did not take may be back, or a similar one. CJ Timeshares just ended an action early because they said 3 bedroom week 51 at Patriots Place. When I talked to them about this, they said the deed was actually for Wydham Williamsburg. Since there are no 3 bedrooms at Patriots Place, they ended the action early with no bidders while they figure out what is going on. My complements to CJ Timeshares, they pulled the add instead of proceeding with the auction when they confirmed what they advertised was not what the unit apparently was.

That auction was a mess, its very hard to say no to points at $3.72 per 1k...but antjmar is right, the payback Timeframe is almost 15 years

(This years Number)Fixed week Converted = $765 + $121.38 = $886.38 /238 = $3.72 per 1k
(2010 number)UDI Contract = $4.39 * 238 = $1044.82 / 238 = $4.39 per 1k

UDI Contract= $1044.82 per Year
Converted = $886.38 per Year

Difference per year $158.44

Time to break even 14.5 Years

Even after all that, i'm still on the fence about buying it!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience is that CJ tries to do it right...but they do make mistakes...the reason I look to their auctions first, is that they have on several occasions done their best to correct things when they did go wrong

How many ebay auctions do you see where the seller puts their phone number in the auction?

rrlongwell

Reaction score
My experience is that CJ tries to do it right...but they do make mistakes...the reason I look to their auctions first, is that they have on several occasions done their best to correct things when they did go wrong

How many ebay auctions do you see where the seller puts their phone number in the auction?

I agree, that is an important trait when considering a re-seller. Is much better than one who does not fix it in a timely manner. Mistakes are apparently a way of life in the timeshare re-sale business (they appear to be cumulative over the years). This factor, I think, should be a major issue in selecting a re-seller. Especially off of E-Bay. Correcting the mistake may not even blow the sale. Heck, Ride is still considering buying it.

antjmar

Reaction score
Oh, thanks for explanation!

points at $3.72 per 1k...
Wow thats very low!
I guess if you really like the resort and buy more than one contract it might not be the worst idea...