• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba - thanks Tuggers

heatherw

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I don't post here much but do read the boards when i can. I managed to swap one of my units for Aruba Surf Club and am here now.

I just want to say thanks for all the useful tips/hints etc but especially because I:
1. Hired a car - would not want to be without it
2. went to flying fishbone last night - amazing meal in a marvellous setting and i would never have booked so early had i not been advised to do so.
3. Survived the sunbed booking policy which is ...er... unbelievable to someone who likes the odd bask in the sun but is not a sun worshipper. People actually sit on these beds at 7am drinking coffee!! Despite that half of them remain empty during the day - I spoke to the sunbed police who said that they check first thing but not after that

I really like it here and would definitely come back
Thanks

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Glad you're having a great vacation! It is one of our favorite spots in the world to just relax. Flying Fishbone is such a nice experience, isn't it? We hadn't gone the first several years, but the first time we did a few years back we happened to have two sets of guests, one for 3 nights and the other for 4, and we landed up going twice we loved it so much.

Reserving a palapa at the beach the previous afternoon isn't so bad; while people go online starting around 3ish everyone sits and chats for the half hour to hour wait. Not ideal, but if you are sitting on the beach anyway, it's really not a big deal.

DKT

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be there for the first time in June, questions below.... :)

1) What is the sunbed booking policy?

2) Flying Fishbone - would that be a nice place for a 20th Anniv and 50th Birthday?

3) Can you recommend any nice boat tours?

Thanks,
Denise

heatherw

Reaction score
sunbed policy - you are given little tags which you can put on a bed from 7am, once done you have to be there within 2 hours or they will remove them adn anyone can take a bed without a tag - we had ours taken and had only left them an hour and a half but luckily there were bed available.

Flying fishbone - perfect place. Ohters on this board told me to get there early in time to see the sunset at about 6.30pm. In fact we got there earlier ane were told that the best tables go on first come first served and there were already quite a few peoeple there so i would get there at about 5.45pm.

Tours- best to ask someone who is a regular here as we haven't done one.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be there for the first time in June, questions below.... :)

1) What is the sunbed booking policy?

2) Flying Fishbone - would that be a nice place for a 20th Anniv and 50th Birthday?

3) Can you recommend any nice boat tours?

Thanks,
Denise

Other fantastic restaurants:
Madame Janette
Screaming Eagle ( same owner as Flying Fishbones)
Carte Blanche ( an incredible dining experience. If you want more info send me a pm)
Yemanja Grill
Chalet Suisse
El Gaucho

I would go to one of the first three for a special meal.:cheer:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise-
We all have our favorite restaurants but Flying Fishbone is a wonderful dining experience, both for food and ambiance. Madame Janette is a perennial favorite, but the ambiance of Flying Fishbone would make it my pick for a special celebration.

I haven't been to Carte Blanche but, as Ilene posted, people rave about it as being an incredible experience. From what I've heard it is more of a chef's choice, multi course, extended meal (can be a 4 hour evening), and is very expensive but reportedly worth it. Our dining tastes are too varied and my husband has allergy issues so pre-set meals don't work for us, so we're not likely to try it.

We never were there (although we're actually going to try it in our upcoming trip) but Passions is another beachside restaurant that gets great reviews and is a favorite for many. It is closer than Flying Fishbone so if you aren't renting a car you might want to consider there as well.

Boat rides- are you looking for a snorkel/day trip or a sunset sail? There are several options for each, as well as fishing excursions.

As for the sunbed policy- there are tons of chaises at both the Ocean Club and the Surf Club. The reservation policies are slightly different, and different between chaises at the pool and at the beach. If you let us know where you'll be we can give you the right info. for your trip.

Have a wonderful trip and congrats on both the 20th Ann. and the 50th birthday!

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
The chef at Carte Blanche discusses your likes, dislikes and allergies with you before you go to the dinner. All of those issues are moot!

DKT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, great information. We will be there 13 days so we will look into all of your dining suggestions.

We are staying at the Surf Club, so I want to understand the sunbed policy at both the pool and beach. My biggest concern is having an umbrella. So do you have to be there to get the tag before 7am?

Denise

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone, great information. We will be there 13 days so we will look into all of your dining suggestions.

We are staying at the Surf Club, so I want to understand the sunbed policy at both the pool and beach. My biggest concern is having an umbrella. So do you have to be there to get the tag before 7am?

Denise

President's week will be busy, so make restaurant reservations at the more popular places before you go.

By the pool you will need to tag chairs early for shade.
For palapas at the beach: half can be reserved for a fee ($15 for first two rows/$15 rows three and back) for two days in a row, and you must skip 2 days between for subsequent paid reservations. Half are free, with a quarter of the palapas given out at 4PM for the next day and the other quarter at 7AM the day of. People start lining up around 3PM or some really compulsive ones starting at 5:30, but you can still get one if you come later (I've come down past 7 and gotten one with no problem, just further back). There are plenty of chaises and there are also bimini chaises (chaises with canopies) which can be used from row 4 and back at the beach and there are also many poolside.

Don't forget tire tubes or the like for the pool.
Have a great trip!!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoyed Iguana Joe's in town. Also there was a TGIF that I thought was better than the average TGIFs that you see in the states within walking distance somewhere near the Surf Club .

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Simply Fish on the beach is very good. So is Ruth's Chris @ Marriott.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Simply Fish on the beach is very good. So is Ruth's Chris @ Marriott.

I thought the food was fair to good but you can't beat the ambience that it offers with your feet practically in the ocean.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought the food was fair to good but you can't beat the ambience that it offers with your feet practically in the ocean.

There are a few other restaurants that offer similar ambiance but with better food, just fyi. That's one of the reasons Flying Fishbone is on our must go to list.

I've never been to Sinply Fish because a lot of people have felt the food was only so so. Passions and Barefoot are two others with similar ambiance, although I haven't tried either to recommend (but will during our upcoming trip). Both get rave reviews, so hopefully they will meet expectations.