• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

More on Marriott resale purchases

siberiavol

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a previous thread it was mentioned Marriott Resale is buying back properties. I have a few things that might answer some questions:

They offer two options. They offer a net price after fees or act as your agent by putting you on the waiting list(old system)
There are offers on many properties in many seasons. I have multiple weeks in Hilton Head and Florida and there were offers for all. They said there were more offers on east coast than western US.
The units being bought are being put into the trust.
You receive a confirming email from Marriott about the transaction and should get your money in ninety to one hundred twenty days. I have already received e-mail on sales
This is speculation only but there seems to be some correlation between number of destination points the property has and the price offered. One unit worth 1600 DC points got a $1500 offer. One unit worth 900 DC points got an $800 offer. One unit worth 4400 DC points got a $4000 offer. All the offers were after fees.
The prices and simplicity seem better than EBAY on non platinum weeks. The platinum week offers seemed below market prices.

I bought a Florida condo and am using this program to get out of some older properties that were brought primarily for trading years ago. As an enrolled DC member I am holding on to higher DC point properties.

If you have off season properties and think the platinums are close to the bottom in price you could sell to Marriott and try to buy platinums on EBAY, TUG etc That is what I would be doing if I hadn't bought the condo. Another thing I would be doing is upgrading to better properties in the same season.

I have literally traded stocks for over forty years. I have found you sometimes benefit by selling at a loss to buy something that is down more or has more upside. I see that opportunity now in timeshares.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well stated.

I was offered $3000 net for my BeachPlace Towers platinum that yields 3250 DC points. I think you are on to something - Marriott is offering about $1 per DC point.

iluvfla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy low ($1) sell high ($11), I guess somebody is listening.......:rofl: :rofl:

mike2200

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a previous thread it was mentioned Marriott Resale is buying back properties. I have a few things that might answer some questions:

They offer two options. They offer a net price after fees or act as your agent by putting you on the waiting list(old system)
There are offers on many properties in many seasons. I have multiple weeks in Hilton Head and Florida and there were offers for all. They said there were more offers on east coast than western US.
The units being bought are being put into the trust.
You receive a confirming email from Marriott about the transaction and should get your money in ninety to one hundred twenty days. I have already received e-mail on sales
This is speculation only but there seems to be some correlation between number of destination points the property has and the price offered. One unit worth 1600 DC points got a $1500 offer. One unit worth 900 DC points got an $800 offer. One unit worth 4400 DC points got a $4000 offer. All the offers were after fees.
The prices and simplicity seem better than EBAY on non platinum weeks. The platinum week offers seemed below market prices.

I bought a Florida condo and am using this program to get out of some older properties that were brought primarily for trading years ago. As an enrolled DC member I am holding on to higher DC point properties.

If you have off season properties and think the platinums are close to the bottom in price you could sell to Marriott and try to buy platinums on EBAY, TUG etc That is what I would be doing if I hadn't bought the condo. Another thing I would be doing is upgrading to better properties in the same season.

I have literally traded stocks for over forty years. I have found you sometimes benefit by selling at a loss to buy something that is down more or has more upside. I see that opportunity now in timeshares.

I just received a waiver on ROFR from Marriott on a 2bd 3ba OV annual at MOC (Maui)..so they are only looking to buy what??

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I just received a waiver on ROFR from Marriott on a 2bd 3ba OV annual at MOC (Maui)..so they are only looking to buy what??

Mike, congrats and enjoy MOC! What was your purchase price for this?

Thanks very much,

Greg

mike2200

TUG Member
Reaction score
Price was 13K with no use or MF for 2012...use starts in 2013 with seller booking our requested use for 2013...

mike2200

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am confused where did you come with the value at 4500 points if I traded it in my EOY 1bd it is worth 4500 points

Last edited:

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
so the whole concept of value for a timeshare will hence forth be the point value set by Marriott?? without any consideration for location etc etc...

I wouldn't make that correlation. This is all anecdotal evidence with nothing official in writing coming from Marriott. The "value" of a timeshare is partly subjective so "values" can be all over the map as viewed from one's perspective.

siberiavol

TUG Member
Reaction score
My post did not relate to ROFR. I have no idea how Marriott approaches that.

I do know currently you can call Marriott resale and they will look at your portfolio and tell you if they want to make an offer. It is very straight forward. They have a list and prices.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well they aren't buying everything. I sent them a E Mail about purchasing my MMC Platinum week about a week ago and received a response saying they would contact me and I have heard nada.

siberiavol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well they aren't buying everything. I sent them a E Mail about purchasing my MMC Platinum week about a week ago and received a response saying they would contact me and I have heard nada.

I would call the office 866-682-4547 and ask about it. I think it opens at 9PM eastern. I think they would tell you if they have bought any of these. I don't think the reps know why somethings are on there and some aren't. They are reading off a list.

I assume they will use that list until the program stops or they add or subtract properties from the program or change prices.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am confused where did you come with the value at 4500 points if I traded it in my EOY 1bd it is worth 4500 points

I am even more confused???:confused: The OP mentioned a correlation between the amount Marriott is offering and the points value assigned. That correlation appears to be about $0.90-$1.00 per point. If your EOY week is worth 4500 points, then that is where Terry got the $4500 from.

I think it appears that Marriott is wanting to buy back resorts where points are cheap. Platinum weeks don't fall in to this category. A 4500 point week that sells for $13K isn't going to get bought back, especially more-so when Marriott had gobbs of Hawaii inventory.

Marriott has determined that it can get inventory from any number of sources to feed the demands of the destinations club program. It doesn't really need prime weeks in the trust to get prime week reservations for point owners and legacy owners that convert. They seem to just need points to sell and they want to get them cheap, so it appears gold or lower weeks are their targets.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
This seems short sighted. Since gold and silver weeks will push up the already high MF for the trust.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I had a different interpretation -- I see them buying Platinum weeks for $1/points -- and likely only if they need them for the Trust?

They can buy Gold/Silver in almost unlimited quantity via ROFR for really really cheap...

But I think OP was talking about a Platinum week -- and Terry too.

Fun stuff trying to figure out what Marriott is doing!

Best,

Greg

mike2200

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am bit confused on the points. But perhaps if someone that has a 2bed OV annual at MOC (Maui) and converted to points could post the amount of points they received I would get a better understanding.

Or is there a site with the point conversion posted? I was told by Marriott my MOC (Maui) OF EOY 1bd would convert to 4500 points

Thanks

siberiavol

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll try again. I have seven weeks. Some are platinum. Some are silver. Some are gold. I called Marriott and they offered to buy my weeks for $xxxx.

Each of those weeks are assigned a certain amount of points in the DC program.It appears based on a small sample that the offer in dollars is somewhat related to the number of DC points assigned.

For example Nov. Harbor Point-DC points 650 offer$600
Ocean Pointe ocean side platinum DC points 4325 offer $4000

Three people have reported offers and all appear related to DC points assigned. No one reporting knows for sure how Marriott arrives at pricing but most on here would assume there would be a greater deferential in price between properties if it wasn't DC point related.

As I indicated earlier I don't know if they take this same approach in deciding to exercise ROFR in transactions not directly made through Marriott. I hope this clears up any confusion.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll try again. I have seven weeks. Some are platinum. Some are silver. Some are gold. I called Marriott and they offered to buy my weeks for $xxxx.

Each of those weeks are assigned a certain amount of points in the DC program.It appears based on a small sample that the offer in dollars is somewhat related to the number of DC points assigned.

Three people have reported offers and all appear related to DC points assigned. No one reporting knows for sure how Marriott arrives at pricing but most on here would assume there would be a greater deferential in price between properties if it wasn't DC point related.

As I indicated earlier I don't know if they take this same approach in deciding to exercise ROFR in transactions not directly made through Marriott. I hope this clears up any confusion.

This was my point. Marriott will buy platinum weeks, like Ocean Point and BeachPlace for $1 per DC point value. If a more expensive week comes along, like the $13K recently reported at MOC, they are not interested. They would probably execute ROFR if this week were being purchased for $5K.

On second thought, maybe they wouldn't, because the MF's are too high at MOC, even for Marriott.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

I think it's good to know that Marriott's buy-back program still at least exists in some fashion, regardless of what they're buying back or at what cost. For a while there it seemed like the program was dying or dead, and I'm glad to know that's not the case. Thanks, Siberiavol.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I had a different interpretation -- I see them buying Platinum weeks for $1/points -- and likely only if they need them for the Trust?

They can buy Gold/Silver in almost unlimited quantity via ROFR for really really cheap...

But I think OP was talking about a Platinum week -- and Terry too.

Fun stuff trying to figure out what Marriott is doing!

Best,

Greg

Greg,

I would agree that their ideal target would be platinum weeks where they can pick them up for around $1 per DC point and where MFs would also be around $0.41 per point. However I am not sure if there are a lot of locations that fit the bill. Just about any inland resort probably would be at this mark, but I am not sure many of the owners at east coast beach resorts would be willing to part with their units for $1 per point.

I do think it is good that Marriott is buying back weeks. Though it doesn't seem that they are exercising ROFR at the same pace. However we really never know what those PCCs submit for ROFR on those Ebay sales. Marriott in the active purchase market is good for owners.