• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

R.I.P. -- Joe Paterno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The recent scandal and the lapse in judgment notwithstanding, in his 61 years at Penn State, he left an indelible mark on college football and nurtured the careers of a great many prominent personalities in football today.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully his legacy will be that doing the right thing is the most important and not the mistakes that he made. This should change what people will do in the future when they are unsure how to react. This is a much better legacy then being the winningest coach in 1A football.

chalucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
How easy was the rush to judgement/firing on this man. We accord terrorists more due process than this he got. It was shameful the way he was treated.

RIP to a man that was a force for
what is good in college athletics.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
How easy was the rush to judgement/firing on this man. We accord terrorists more due process than this he got. It was shameful the way he was treated.

RIP to a man that was a force for
what is good in college athletics.

Very insightful! Do you think his firing contributed to the speedy deterioration of his health? I do. I'm wondering how Penn State's coffers will fare in the next year from donors?

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's rough when you need to worry about the donors.
Nevermind the kids that were molested that he could have helped by not condoning and ignoring what happened.

He was a good coach but IMO his position and power went to his head by putting the welfare of the program above that of children.

Why is it that that aspect always seems to be lost????

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see them as two separate issues; I'm discussing JoePa not the other one which I'll let others discuss, like you, have at it.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see them as two separate issues; I'm discussing JoePa not the other one which I'll let others discuss, like you, have at it.

How can you say they're two separate issues? They're obviously related. The fund raising is very much attached to the scandal, so why did you bring it up?

Anyhow, RIP Joe Paterno. Penn State was never my favorite college football team, but I had a ton of respect for the way he ran his program.

When former U.S. Senator Thomas Hart Benton was asked to criticize a deceased colleague, he replied, "When God puts his hand on a man, sir, I take mine off."

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
R.I.P. to an outstanding man with strong conviction to fair play to all his students.

I can forgive.

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Amazing , simply amazing.... a young boy gets raped and its a lapse in judgment ??? Thats kind of like saying that guy in prison was very nice except for the people he killed. Wake up people, what he did was boderline criminal and certain not moral. He did it to protect his football program...

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
JoePa watched his assistant rape a young boy... go ahead, you can say it ? I bet if that boy was your son, your opinion would change. Sad people put football ahead of people

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
JoePa watched his assistant rape a young boy...

Number one, this statement is not factual. Number two, let's find out exactly what JoePa was told by McQuery. No doubt he made a big mistake in judgement by not taking the info he was given seriously enough. But let's see what all the facts are.

George

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't think that his firing contributed to the speedy deterioration of his health. IMNSHO, he probably ignored the signs of lung cancer for many years, so "dedicated to the game" as he was. He just couldn't stop working, until he was forced to. And once he was, his son took him to the doctor's for a bronchitis which wouldn't go away, and the cancer was discovered. You don't die from early stage lung cancer.

I wonder whose choice it was that he die in a hospital. He was no longer taking chemo treatments, so that wasn't an issue. I think his family was delusional, given the remarks his son made on Twitter last night.

Fern

Very insightful! Do you think his firing contributed to the speedy deterioration of his health? I do. I'm wondering how Penn State's coffers will fare in the next year from donors?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
JoePa was of a generation where polite people didn't say the things about- and to- people that needed to be said. Surely the last few months of his life were a torment to him every minute.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

I can only hope he has found peace.

Jim

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is a quote from Joe 2 weeks ago...
Dropping the ball is understament. Add that to the fact that I am sure Joe was very careful with his words in the interview.

"(McQueary) was very upset and I said why, and he was very reluctant to get into it," Paterno said. "He told me what he saw, and I said, what? He said it, well, looked like inappropriate, or fondling, I'm not quite sure exactly how he put it. I said you did what you had to do. It's my job now to figure out what we want to do. So I sat around. It was a Saturday. Waited till Sunday because I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. And then I called my superiors and I said, 'Hey, we got a problem, I think. Would you guys look into it?' Cause I didn't know, you know. We never had, until that point, 58 years I think, I had never had to deal with something like that. And I didn't feel adequate.

"You know, he didn't want to get specific. And to be frank with you I don't know that it would have done any good, because I never heard of, of, rape and a man. So I just did what I thought was best. I talked to people that I thought would be, if there was a problem, that would be following up on it."

Paterno said he told athletic director Tim Curley and school vice president Gary Schultz what he saw and left it in their hands to do the right thing:

"I didn't know exactly how to handle it and I was afraid to do something that might jeopardize what the university procedure was," he said. "So I backed away and turned it over to some other people, people I thought would have a little more expertise than I did. It didn't work out that way."

Number one, this statement is not factual. Number two, let's find out exactly what JoePa was told by McQuery. No doubt he made a big mistake in judgement by not taking the info he was given seriously enough. But let's see what all the facts are.

George

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
sorry, u r correct, his assistant saw the other assistand and told joe

George

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My mom died from lung cancer - it is one of the worst cancers. The average life expectancy after someone's been diagnosed with lung cancer is 9 mos. - that means half the victims never reach the 9 mo. mark, so his quick demise is typical for the disease. My mom was diagnosed in the month of Sept. and died in Dec.

I don't know of Paterno was a current smoker, but nearly everyone of his generation smoked in their younger days. My mom hadn't smoked for over 20 years when she was diagnosed, but the damage had already been done.

Last edited:
L

laurac260

I've stated my opinion about the whole Sandusky scandal many times on this board, so I won't address them here at all. I'll just say this:

As soon as JoePa was fired I said on this very board he'd be dead within the year.

Football was what kept him alive. In his mind, he lost everything he lived for.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stated my opinion about the whole Sandusky scandal many times on this board, so I won't address them here at all. I'll just say this:

As soon as JoePa was fired I said on this very board he'd be dead within the year.

Football was what kept him alive. In his mind, he lost everything he lived for.

+1 on that.
Not that the PSU administration should have just ignored him, but I think letting him finish out his last season and retire with dignity would have been better.

My best wishes are with his family.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
My thoughts are with Joe Paterno's family and all of our friends in the Penn State community. I'm thinking of my former colleague whose first year of graduate school (in a liberal arts field) was funded by the Paternos, and another friend who reminded me of the huge number of books she checked out of the library inscribed with the message that they were purchased with funding from Joe and Sue Paterno. Most of the country will remember Joe Paterno for his decades of coaching, as well as the recent scandal, but members of the Penn State community will just as much mourn the loss of a fierce champion of education.

AKE

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't think that most here get it. There is nothing more important than protecting those that cannot protect themselves, namely children. I don't care if he was Einstein or pick any other revered figure, what he supposedly condoned or overlooked will always overshadow anything else that he did in life. Too much emphasis is placed on sports instead of basic humanity and decency.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I don't think that most here get it.

IMO, what those who choose to heap scorn on his corpse fail to get is that its "basic humanity and decency" to accord the dead a modicum of respect or hold their tongue, at least for a wee little bit.

There's an old adage that one should not speak ill of the dead. I think it means that we should at allow some time to pass, before passing judgment on someone's life work.

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think history will favor JoePa. The trustees did not even let the justice system run its course. JoePa and Sue's legacy will reap benefits for decades to come. There will never be another couple like them at Penn State.
The people who know them get it. The armchair judges can keep issuing verdicts. The law will take care of the criminals.

AKE

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
IMO, what those who choose to heap scorn on his corpse fail to get is that its "basic humanity and decency" to accord the dead a modicum of respect or hold their tongue, at least for a wee little bit.

There's an old adage that one should not speak ill of the dead. I think it means that we should at allow some time to pass, before passing judgment on someone's life work.

Normally I would agree but not in this case. Anyone who knows of, and does not report to the authorities of kids supposedly being molested deserves nothing. These children, now adults, will bear the scars for life and this is something he had the ability to stop. He had the choice and he chose not to. There are no excuses.

Skittles1

TUG Member
Reaction score
This Penn Stater's heart is truly sad today, as we mourn the loss of Joe Paterno. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. It saddens me that this great man, who did so much for the university that he loved, will forever be remembered as a part of this terrible scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.