• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui or Big Island March 2013 - any chance?

lmkucala

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have RCI points and would like to try to go to either Maui or Big Island over spring break in 2013. Either a 1BR or 2BR would be okay (just one child).

Is it too late to get something like this? Would we be better off just buying a getaway? Right now I've searched for both (through points and getaways). Nothing comes up available for points and only one option (Wyndam Loa Village on Big Island) for getaways.

Am I looking too early/too late? I don't think I can book an ongoing search if we have an RCI points account (at least I can't figure out how) so am thinking I just will need to look everyday.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you search weeks?

There are very few points resorts on Maui or the Big Island, so look in the weeks side.

Greg

We have RCI points and would like to try to go to either Maui or Big Island over spring break in 2013. Either a 1BR or 2BR would be okay (just one child).

Is it too late to get something like this? Would we be better off just buying a getaway? Right now I've searched for both (through points and getaways). Nothing comes up available for points and only one option (Wyndam Loa Village on Big Island) for getaways.

Am I looking too early/too late? I don't think I can book an ongoing search if we have an RCI points account (at least I can't figure out how) so am thinking I just will need to look everyday.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are very few points resorts on Maui or the Big Island, so look in the weeks side.

Greg

Ok - maybe a dumb question but I didn't think I could look that way if I only have RCI points. I always login by clicking the points button thinking that was my only option. Am I missing something? Thanks I'm kind of new to this.

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK

So on the points side it shows 42 weeks available in Hawaii, on the weeks side it shows 840:doh:

I have both accounts, and I thought everyone did as points comes with a free weeks account.
When is spring break for 2013? I can look and then maybe you need to call RCI,

Greg

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score
So on the points side it shows 42 weeks available in Hawaii, on the weeks side it shows 840:doh:

I have both accounts, and I thought everyone did as points comes with a free weeks account.
When is spring break for 2013? I can look and then maybe you need to call RCI,

Greg

Hmmm - I'll have to call RCI tonight and see if something needs to be updated on my account.

2013 Spring Break for us is starts Thursday, 3/28/13 and goes through the first week of April - so basically looking for something where we can check-in somewhere 3/29-3/31. Thanks for the help!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
On the RCI Points' side there are 42 RESORTS, not just 42 weeks. There are hundreds of weeks. I think you have a great chance of getting whatever your heart desires.

The one thing I believe is important for you to know is that RCI weeks has completely different inventory from RCI Points for most resorts, like Wyndham, for example. Today, there are plenty of Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Village 2 bedrooms in weeks (very cheap points lite for those in weeks), and none of those were in RCI Points today. It's very different inventory, and choosing not to have both weeks and points is probably going to cost you some choices.

That being said, you get a free RCI weeks account with your RCI points account, so you might want to use that account and buy a good week to access the weeks' side of RCI.

Last edited:

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
In our weeks accounts we'd been looking for a while for Nov '12 in Maui. About a month ago was a huge infusion of Maui weeks that gave us just what we were looking for. From a timing standpoint that might indicate that within a month or two you might see some bulk deposits for March '13. I definitely don't think you're too late to the party.

I don't trust ongoing searches and tried to look every day. The tip off to the bulk deposits, though, came from the sightings board.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I thought Cindy was the OP and I knew she also had a weeks account and was looking for Maui as well. My post didn't help anyone did it?

Last edited:

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score
That being said, you get a free RCI weeks account with your RCI points account, so you might want to use that account and buy a good week to access the weeks' side of RCI.

I called RCI and when I gave them my account number (which is a Points account) they transferred me immediately to the points line. When I asked, they said I only had access for a points account and did not have access to weeks.

Two of you have now said I am supposed to get a free RCI Weeks account with my points account. Any idea how I get this setup? Is there something you can point me to that I can reference when I talk to RCI?

Thanks for all the help!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You need to buy a week to deposit into your free weeks account. There is no point to having a weeks account, if you have no week to deposit in there.

Buy something coastal and summer (California, South Carolina, etc), and you will get great trading power.

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Cindy,

It has been a while since I spent time using RCI points, but isn't there a way to search for weeks resorts using points? I know there used to be, But I can't seem to find it now. Or am I just having a brain fart?

Greg

You need to buy a week to deposit into your free weeks account. There is no point to having a weeks account, if you have no week to deposit in there.

Buy something coastal and summer (California, South Carolina, etc), and you will get great trading power.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
I called RCI and when I gave them my account number (which is a Points account) they transferred me immediately to the points line. When I asked, they said I only had access for a points account and did not have access to weeks.

Two of you have now said I am supposed to get a free RCI Weeks account with my points account. Any idea how I get this setup? Is there something you can point me to that I can reference when I talk to RCI?

Thanks for all the help!

Both you and I have a RCI Points account. My "week" is actually 80,000 RCI points, not a week.

People with a week, not points, have a RCI week account. These people now use TPU's to trade, aka points-lite. When they have a RCI week they log into their week account and can not see the RCI points required to exchange their week for another week. In addition, they can not see nightly units available, because RCI Points are required.

With RCI Points, you should see the same weekly TS's that the week owners see, except that instead of TPU's required, you'll see how many RCI Points (NOT Points Lite) are required for that weekly exchange, noting that I haven't seen any kind of conversion between the two and I don't think that there is one. In addition you will also be able to select stays less than one week and see how many RCI points are required. An example here would be to look at the Flamingo Hilton in Las Vegas and/or the Manhattan Club in NYC.

When you log-on to your RCI Points account, you will see the message "You are currently searching weekly and nightly exchange vacations". So don't fret about logging into one or the other, you see both: it's transparent. I.E., do a search on "hilton las vegas". You'll see three Hilton Flamingo's come-up. #5426 and #3186 are only weekly stays. #6300 will let you select nightly stays. Unfortunatley, you don't know this until you select "Available Units" and select the dates to see if you can stay less than one week. You DO NOT have to look for TS's that have the big RCI Points listed in the description. NOTE: it would be interesting for a weeks account owner to see if they can only see #5426 and #3186. :rolleyes:

So, when we get an RCI Points account, we DON'T REALLY get a weeks account also, but a modified version of it that works in conjunction with the points account and is transparent, except that it is converting the TPU's to RCI Points.

:zzz:

Have Fun :cheer:

Last edited:

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both you and I have a RCI Points account. My "week" is actually 80,000 RCI points, not a week.

People with a week, not points, have a RCI week account. These people now use TPU's to trade, aka points-lite. When they have a RCI week they log into their week account and can not see the RCI points required to exchange their week for another week. In addition, they can not see nightly units available, because RCI Points are required.

With RCI Points, you should see the same weekly TS's that the week owners see, except that instead of TPU's required, you'll see how many RCI Points (NOT Points Lite) are required for that weekly exchange, noting that I haven't seen any kind of conversion between the two and I don't think that there is one. In addition you will also be able to select stays less than one week and see how many RCI points are required. An example here would be to look at the Flamingo Hilton in Las Vegas and/or the Manhattan Club in NYC.

When you log-on to your RCI Points account, you will see the message "You are currently searching weekly and nightly exchange vacations". So don't fret about logging into one or the other, you see both: it's transparent. I.E., do a search on "hilton las vegas". You'll see three Hilton Flamingo's come-up. #5426 and #3186 are only weekly stays. #6300 will let you select nightly stays. Unfortunatley, you don't know this until you select "Available Units" and select the dates to see if you can stay less than one week. You DO NOT have to look for TS's that have the big RCI Points listed in the description. NOTE: it would be interesting for a weeks account owner to see if they can only see #5426 and #3186. :rolleyes:

So, when we get an RCI Points account, we DON'T REALLY get a weeks account also, but a modified version of it that works in conjunction with the points account and is transparent, except that it is converting the TPU's to RCI Points.

Thanks this makes much more sense - and I was kind of starting to get there myself after looking again at the website.

One last question (at least related to this). Is there a way to do an ongoing search when all you have is an RCI Points Account? I'm thinking not since I can't at least can't find it.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hey, first off I'll admit I'm not a points owner so this is completely from the cobwebs of my TUG memory. (No direct experience--and things could have very well changed since the cobwebs were formed, or I could have completely misunderstood.)

I always thought Points members truly could access weeks, but they would only see weeks inventory from Points-related resorts.

Does this make sense, or do I need to go back to the TUG Neophytes class?

Chilcotin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of waiting for my RCI points account to be opened. While doing my research I came across the following book on ebay.

RCI POINTS USER GUIDE Tips, Tricks and Secrets by Allen Kelley.

It is available on Amazon in paperback or kindle.

I found the book helpful but I have not been able to use it yet because my points account is not open.

It was published in July 2011 which was before RCI's computer upgrade.

Take a look on Amazon and see what you think.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey, first off I'll admit I'm not a points owner so this is completely from the cobwebs of my TUG memory. (No direct experience--and things could have very well changed since the cobwebs were formed, or I could have completely misunderstood.)

I always thought Points members truly could access weeks, but they would only see weeks inventory from Points-related resorts.Does this make sense, or do I need to go back to the TUG Neophytes class?

No, most of the TS's that you see are week's TS's, some of which will accept nightly stays, meaning that they need to place those nites in RCI points (NOT available to Weeks owners) so that you can select it for less than 7 nites and use your RCI Points - BUT it does NOT have to be a Points Resort, at least they are NOT designated as a RCI Points resort in their descriptions.

Look at Wyndham, which is a Wyndham points resort, but you can select it in weeks or RCI Points for a weeks stay. Look at Hilton, which is a Hilton points resort that you can not only select in weeks or RCI Points for a weeks stay, but you can also select nightly stays using RCI Points, i.e. look at the Flamingo Hilton.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You may want to take a look at this thread. It will tell you how many RCI Points you will need to stay at a RCI Weeks resort. From my limited understanding you must book a weeks resort for 7 days.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15225

:hi:

You can use the link as a general guide, but that's it. Nobody is held to those points.

If you look under Hawaii, it shows a 2-Bdrm silver at 63,000 points and hospitality at 52,500. My Kahana Falls Hospitality on Maui is costing be 62,500 RCI Points, NOT 52,500 (HIGHER). The Hilton Bay Club Silver (should be Gold) is costing me 52,500 RCI Points, NOT 63,000 (LOWER).

If you look under Florida, it show a 2-Bdrm Gold in blue season (could be silver season, I need to check my Hilton chart) as 24,500 points. The Hilton Eagle's Nest on Marco Island is costing me 12,500 RCI Points, NOT 24,500 (LOWER). By the way, it's actually only costing me $106 @ .85 cents per point, for the whole week. Not using RCI, I couldn't stay their for $106 per nite +taxes.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With RCI Points, you should see the same weekly TS's that the week owners see, except that instead of TPU's required,

This is not true. The inventory between weeks and points is very different. The new RCI Points upgrade was supposed to make more available to points, but it's absolutely not happened that way.

There are two point systems now, and the currency is very different.

I wouldn't even consider an RCI points account now, knowing what I now know, and owning what we own in weeks, which gives us much cheaper trades, generally.

But I can find enough value to keep what we own in points. Maybe it's not fair to be so negative about RCI Points, because I can find value. December DVC 1 bedrooms are only 42.5K points in RCI Points, while the same thing in weeks is going to be around 43 points. My cost is much less in Points for that one, but in summer, a 2 bedroom DVC is 118K points, and it's only 52 points in weeks. How those numbers even make sense to RCI is beyond my imagination.

I got two weeks in August at Shearwater in weeks for 21 points each. The same thing in points is 109K each. In weeks, the cost is $420 for me. In points, the cost is around $1,300 for each week. This was my primary reason for buying points: to get Shearwater whenever I want. Now it works so much better in weeks.

Since we travel to so few places (California, Hawaii, Orlando), I can easily compare the areas and times of year we go. RCI Weeks is an awesome system; RCI points, I can use, if I use them wisely.

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is not true. The inventory between weeks and points is very different. (I disagree, see my comment below) The new RCI Points upgrade was supposed to make more available to points, but it's absolutely not happened that way.

There are two point systems now (DUH, didn't I describe the difference), and the currency is very different.

I wouldn't even consider an RCI points account now, knowing what I now know, and owning what we own in weeks, which gives us much cheaper trades (your opinion), generally.

But I can find enough value to keep what we own in points. Maybe it's not fair to be so negative about RCI Points, (I agree, maybe you shouldn't be so negative and condescending regarding what others own & what some of us like, I DO NOT like RCI weeks and would NEVER own one but i don't bash your decision, lighten-up on the negativity) because I can find value. (But we can't?) December DVC 1 bedrooms are only 42.5K points in RCI Points, while the same thing in weeks is going to be around 43 points. My cost is much less in Points for that one, but in summer, a 2 bedroom DVC is 118K points, (the points should be based on what a owner of a 2-bdrm in that season (be-it silver, gold, platinum, etc) recvd) and it's only 52 points in weeks (Yeah, TPU's/Points-Lite seem to be made-up in thin air) . How those numbers even make sense to RCI is beyond my imagination.

I got two weeks in August at Shearwater in weeks for 21 points each. The same thing in points is 109K each (yeah, again, If someone purchased the August unit and rcvd 109k points, can RCI then have someone exchange in for less?) . In weeks, the cost is $420 for me. In points, the cost is around $1,300 for each week. This was my primary reason for buying points: to get Shearwater whenever I want. Now it works so much better in weeks.

Since we travel to so few places (California, Hawaii, Orlando), I can easily compare the areas and times of year we go. RCI Weeks is an awesome system; RCI points, I can use, if I use them wisely.

A person that I work with has 2 Wyndhams. He recently deposited 3 weeks into RCI. He was looking for 2 bdrm TS's in the Orlando area for the month of July, 2012. I saw everthing that he saw, except he saw the TPU's required where-as I saw the RCI Points required.

I was ONLY trying to help another current OWNER of RCI Points. The person wasn't looking at buying a weeks TS or a RCI Points TS. And I'm NOT looking at getting bashed by you or anyone else because your getting defensive about your weeks. It's about a couple of RCI Points owners trying to have a discussion without someone butting in and saying theirs is better, which is subjective - we own what we own and we don't want to be derided for the decisions we made. :annoyed:

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
was ONLY trying to help another current OWNER of RCI Points. The person wasn't looking at buying a weeks TS or a RCI Points TS. And I'm NOT looking at getting bashed by you or anyone else because your getting defensive about your weeks. I didn't bash anyone. It's about a couple of RCI Points owners trying to have a discussion without someone butting in (how is my opinion butting in?) and saying theirs is better, which is subjective - we own what we own and we don't want to be derided for the decisions we made (I own RCI Points too and never derided anyone for owning them).

Ron, your opinion differs from mine, that is all. I am not being condescending, I am expressing my opinion.

Fact is fact, and RCI Points inventory is different from weeks. How does a Wyndham account compare to a regular weeks account? It doesn't. I know because I have a Wyndham account, a weeks account, and an RCI Points account.

How many Kona Hawaiian Village can you see right now in points? I see 47 weeks for 22-37 TPU's. You probably see just one week.

I can give you a bunch of examples of inventory that is lacking in points that I see in weeks. Plus, many of the dates you see in points are just a day or two and not full weeks. It's disappointing to see a date you need and realize it's for one or two nights, and not a week.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, most of the TS's that you see are week's TS's, some of which will accept nightly stays, meaning that they need to place those nites in RCI points (NOT available to Weeks owners) so that you can select it for less than 7 nites and use your RCI Points - BUT it does NOT have to be a Points Resort, at least they are NOT designated as a RCI Points resort in their descriptions.

Look at Wyndham, which is a Wyndham points resort, but you can select it in weeks or RCI Points for a weeks stay. Look at Hilton, which is a Hilton points resort that you can not only select in weeks or RCI Points for a weeks stay, but you can also select nightly stays using RCI Points, i.e. look at the Flamingo Hilton.

Thanks, Ron. Didn't realize true 'weeks' resorts would accept nightly stays as a 'points' resort would. Maybe I do need to get back to class. ;)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It has been a while since I spent time using RCI points, but isn't there a way to search for weeks resorts using points? I know there used to be, But I can't seem to find it now. Or am I just having a brain fart?

Greg

Greg, RCI supposedly upgraded RCI Points, which basically created one database instead of the two we had before.

There were always gaps in inventory between weeks and points, and this was supposed to fix the gaps, but it sure hasn't been a full fix, but it's better than it was. I didn't like searching 30 days at a time for one area, and that is much improved.

I am somewhat disappointed because RCI doesn't seem to realize there are resorts that show up in large numbers in weeks, but don't show in points at all. For a very long time, DVC wasn't showing anywhere in Points after the upgrade, and it took many TUGger calls (and probably non-TUggers too) to get it corrected. What else is missing? I haven't a clue and kind of know what I will use my limited points to get. I only have 146K or so to spend, since I gave away Meadow Lakes.

On the other hand, when there were 42 resorts listed for Hawaii in RCI Points, as you posted above, there were only 35 in weeks. I didn't look to see what was missing in weeks, but it does seem to indicate inventory in RCI Points not in Weeks, which is how it should be, but most of that inventory is probably just a few nights and nothing to be excited about.

cgeidl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Easy to get at last minute

We have booked weeks at extremely inexpensive costs at the last minute. We fly often free on a space available basis and don't book until we are firmly on a flight. Last time we went we booked a week starting Saturday for the Waikiki Banyan(about the same as the Imperial except all rooms are the same one bedroom size. $169 for a last minute week with trading palces using a bonus certificate on a Friday afternoon.
Hawaii has 3-5% cancellations and if you are already going it is easy to get a cancellation but not for the worriers!!!I think you could stay 52 weeks in a row using last minute cancellations. We have gotten many laast minute weeks and never failed yet but if we did the sand is warm.
You have plenty of time to book and don't need a getaway IMHO.