• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Problems with timeshare purchased on ebay

madouglas3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I won an ebay auction for Wyndham points on 6/21/11. I signed the contract and paid immediately by credit card. I was to receive all points for 2011 and would be responsible for maintenance fees beginning 8/20/11.

On 6/23/11, I received an email from the closing agent informing me the entire process would take 10-12 weeks.

On 9/1/11 and 11/13/11 I received more emails informing me all paperwork was sent to the resort for the final stage and it would take 8-12 weeks.

I contacted Wyndham on 12/15/11 to check status of transfer and was told they still needed a death certificate to complete transfer.

I contacted the seller several times during the last 6 months and was told "Don't worry the transfer will be completed by the end of the year and if not he would give me replacement points. I called the seller again late December regarding the replacement points and was told he never told me he would replace the points. I asked if he would pay the maintenance fees from 8/11-12/31/11 but he refused. I contacted my credit card company and explained to them my problem and they agreed to open a dispute.

I informed the seller I disputed my credit card charge. First, the seller threatened to sue me. He then offered to replace the points if I sent him a payment through paypal for the disputed amount but the points would be placed in their corporate account for me to make a reservation. I really wanted to deposit the points into RCI. Another option was to sign a POA so they can change the deed back to their name, I refused to sign a opened ended POA. I agreed to sign the deed but when I received the deed it shows my name but their address. I do not trust the seller and do not want get something notorized when I know the address is incorrect.

What should I do should I wait until the credit card company makes their decision on my dispute. If I win I would sign the deed but if I lose I don't think the seller will return the property or return my money. Sorry this is so long.

Mary Ann

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I won an ebay auction for Wyndham points on 6/21/11. I signed the contract and paid immediately by credit card. I was to receive all points for 2011 and would be responsible for maintenance fees beginning 8/20/11.

On 6/23/11, I received an email from the closing agent informing me the entire process would take 10-12 weeks.

On 9/1/11 and 11/13/11 I received more emails informing me all paperwork was sent to the resort for the final stage and it would take 8-12 weeks.

I contacted Wyndham on 12/15/11 to check status of transfer and was told they still needed a death certificate to complete transfer.

I contacted the seller several times during the last 6 months and was told "Don't worry the transfer will be completed by the end of the year and if not he would give me replacement points. I called the seller again late December regarding the replacement points and was told he never told me he would replace the points. I asked if he would pay the maintenance fees from 8/11-12/31/11 but he refused. I contacted my credit card company and explained to them my problem and they agreed to open a dispute.

I informed the seller I disputed my credit card charge. First, the seller threatened to sue me. He then offered to replace the points if I sent him a payment through paypal for the disputed amount but the points would be placed in their corporate account for me to make a reservation. I really wanted to deposit the points into RCI. Another option was to sign a POA so they can change the deed back to their name, I refused to sign a opened ended POA. I agreed to sign the deed but when I received the deed it shows my name but their address. I do not trust the seller and do not want get something notorized when I know the address is incorrect.

What should I do should I wait until the credit card company makes their decision on my dispute. If I win I would sign the deed but if I lose I don't think the seller will return the property or return my money. Sorry this is so long.

Mary Ann

You may want to contact the Bar Association in the state that the resort is in. Most will give you a referral to an attorney in the field that will charge a minimal fee for a 1st review of your options.

I would never sign a POA with a re-seller as the buyer.

I am not sure why I would pay him a second time for what you paid him for already.

If you paid through Pay Pal, I would also let them know.

I would also file a BBB complaint with the BBB that has jurisdication over the resort and his company. The filing would be against his company.

I would also consider filing with the Comsumer Protection people in the state the resort is in.

Have you signed any deed? Was any deed filed with the Court House? If so, I hate to be the one to break the bad news that when the day is done, you may be liable for the maintance fees and not have use of the property. What happened to you is always a risk when you buy through ebay and pay what amount to upfront costs relating to a timeshare.

Also, this is upto you on whether or not to share the re-seller and closing company's name on the Wyndham Board as a warning to other unsuspecting buyers.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Who is the seller? There are a few bad ones out there, and one that is particularly bad.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would Wyndham need a death certificate to complete the transfer? All they should need is the new deed and the $299 fee.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would Wyndham need a death certificate to complete the transfer? All they should need is the new deed and the $299 fee.

No, I have been involved in Estate transfers of Timeshares. A death certificate is absolutly needed. Maybe additional documents from the court naming an Administrator/Executor(ex) if the deed is not of right of surviorship with the other party still living.

Last edited:

madouglas3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who is the seller? There are a few bad ones out there, and one that is particularly bad.

I bid because the ebay seller redweek4less had a good rating but the contract I received and signed was from Noah Bradford with IA Vacations and my credit card payment went to American Timeshare Closing, LLC. Both IA Vacations and American Timeshare Closing, LLC have an F rating with the Better Business Bureau.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I bid because the ebay seller redweek4less had a good rating but the contract I received and signed was from Noah Bradford with IA Vacations and my credit card payment went to American Timeshare Closing, LLC. Both IA Vacations and American Timeshare Closing, LLC have an F rating with the Better Business Bureau.

Thanks for the info. I would do as I suggested in Thread #2 above filing against all thoughs named in your post.

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I have been involved in Estate transfers of Timeshares. A death certificate is absolutly needed. Maybe additional documents from the court naming an Administrator/Executor(ex) if the deed is not of right of surviorship with the other party still living.

that is 100% correct. The resort will always require at a minimum a death certificate. Often they need probate papers as well. Further, many states will not recognize a probate done in the state of death if the property is in another state and a second or ancillary probate may have to be done.

The resort requires this to perfect title. As it is, this new owner may own a piece of the week and the heirs to the estate may own a piece of the week...

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it's my case, I would give up that week and don't associate with that seller anymore. If you can get a full refund, search similar week on ebay again with that money.
CJ timeshares and tochoa25 have good reputation on ebay.
There are numerous complaints and thread about redweek4less on TUG.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score

Apparently because the previous owner is deceased, in which case, different paperwork and documentation is required than with a typical resale/transfer of title. This is the seller's error for not having the paperwork in order prior to making the listing and sale.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Apparently because the previous owner is deceased, in which case, different paperwork and documentation is required than with a typical resale/transfer of title. This is the seller's error for not having the paperwork in order prior to making the listing and sale.

I must have missed that part. I thought a new deed had been recorded and sent.

nole9911

Reaction score

Mary Ann

Resales seems like a great deal, but buying from the resort eliminates all of these hassles.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
buying directly from an owner, or using a reputable reseller/broker does the same...and is far cheaper.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Can you buy from the resort directly even if its an older resort?

I did and it was sold through Wyndham. Price $700 plus about $250 or so in closing costs. Depends on how bad Wyndham wants to sell a property (p.s. nice property, it was Westwinds, Myrtle Beach). Also, I bought another one Towers on the Grove where Wyndham through in a Sands Ocean Club lease for free.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Resales seems like a great deal, but buying from the resort eliminates all of these hassles.

The person posting this admits that he works for Wyndham, so feel free to COMPLETELY IGNORE him.

Next he will probably post to try to justify why they need to charge $299 per contract to transfer ownership.

madouglas3

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to contact the Bar Association in the state that the resort is in. Most will give you a referral to an attorney in the field that will charge a minimal fee for a 1st review of your options.

I would never sign a POA with a re-seller as the buyer.

I am not sure why I would pay him a second time for what you paid him for already.

If you paid through Pay Pal, I would also let them know.

I would also file a BBB complaint with the BBB that has jurisdication over the resort and his company. The filing would be against his company.

I would also consider filing with the Comsumer Protection people in the state the resort is in.

Have you signed any deed? Was any deed filed with the Court House? If so, I hate to be the one to break the bad news that when the day is done, you may be liable for the maintance fees and not have use of the property. What happened to you is always a risk when you buy through ebay and pay what amount to upfront costs relating to a timeshare.

Also, this is upto you on whether or not to share the re-seller and closing company's name on the Wyndham Board as a warning to other unsuspecting buyers.

Thanks, I will file a complaint with the BBB. The reason IA Vacations wanted me to pay them a second time was to stop my credit card dispute, they would have refunded my credit card for the full amount but then send me a bill through Paypal for the amount they refunded my credit card but this bill would state my payment was for the Wyndham points to use for a vacation in 2012.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
that is 100% correct. The resort will always require at a minimum a death certificate. Often they need probate papers as well. Further, many states will not recognize a probate done in the state of death if the property is in another state and a second or ancillary probate may have to be done.

The resort requires this to perfect title. As it is, this new owner may own a piece of the week and the heirs to the estate may own a piece of the week...

Some resorts are pretty thorough on at least some aspects, but others check little if anything. Many small and medium sized resorts would not ask for a death certificate at least in my area.

But this problem highlights the risks of using unqualified timeshare transfer companies, especially those located somewhere other that the state the timeshare is in. It is far better to either use an attorney local to the timeshare for closing or the one multi-state timeshare company that does use qualified local attorneys in the state the timeshare is in. If a timeshare seller on eBay demands you use someone else, complain to the State Bar in the state where the timeshare is located.

madouglas3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to post an update regarding my credit card dispute against IA Vacations/Redweek4less. It took 30 days for my credit card company to investigate my dispute for non receipt of goods but my entire purchase price plus finance fees were credited to my account today. Just wanted to let everyone know some credit card companies will dispute a charge after 60 days, I purchased the timeshare on 6/21/11 and disputed the charge mid December.

Mary Ann

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good credit card company.