• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lengthy Wait Times to Speak With Marriott Rep re: Reservations

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am on hold now with Marriott. A recorded message has advised that the wait time would be 30 minutes to speak with a rep!!! I am wondering if Marriott is now doing the same as the airlines: Setting it up so that wait times are so unreasonaby lengthy that it forces people to make reservations online. I would prefer to speak with somebody to make my Marriott reservations.

It seems to be getting more difficult to get the weeks we want either through Marriott directly at our home resort where we own 2 Platinum weeks or through II doing an exchange. I did not renew my II membership this year because we could not get the week we wanted after waiting almost a year. The year before we were confirmed by II within a couple of months for the identical request. I am starting to feel that it may not be worth all the hassle owning timeshares.

What has your experience been lately with trying to book the weeks you want with Marriott? Are you happy?

Smooth Air

tatmtr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Platinum Ocean Pointe, Platinum Desert Springs 1, Marbella, Chairmans Club, MarriottVacationClub Points, Paradise Village, Mx.
I booked OP this week with no difficulty. I had no wait time whatsoever! Sorry for your difficulty. What weeks are you trying to book?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't had any issues booking where or when I want at either Canyon or Shadow Ridge

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I just tried calling too. First time they said something about unusually high call volume and told me to call back and then disconnected. Second try they said a 21 minute wait. This time I hung up.

I prefer to do everything on-line but cant' change a reservation that way and that's what I want to do.

mlfrancis

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
had the same issue

All day, I had either a 25+ minute wait time or was told to call back. So I used the "chat" function to book a travel package available only thru MVCI ... be careful in doing that! I went back and forth (typing) with the agent about what I wanted, how many miles were supposed to come out of my account, etc ... but in not being able to talk live, she booked the wrong thing! I called after the holiday weekend and got a terrific vacation counselor, Donnie, who was able to fix it for me ... their mistake, they had to "buy" airline mileage to get me what I asked for.

Sometimes it's worth waiting on hold...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
January is peak time for all these call centers, II or Marriott. Everyone is now wanting to book their summer vacations with the holidays now past.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
All day, I had either a 25+ minute wait time or was told to call back. So I used the "chat" function to book a travel package available only thru MVCI ... be careful in doing that! I went back and forth (typing) with the agent about what I wanted, how many miles were supposed to come out of my account, etc ... but in not being able to talk live, she booked the wrong thing! I called after the holiday weekend and got a terrific vacation counselor, Donnie, who was able to fix it for me ... their mistake, they had to "buy" airline mileage to get me what I asked for.

Sometimes it's worth waiting on hold...

If you are talking about the 5-day Travel package for Reward points, you do not have to do that through the MVCI desk. Just call Marriott Rewards Customer Service and they can do it for you.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
I called this morning too (around 10:30 a.m. MST) to lock off an existing reservation. Had to wait almost 10 minutes to speak to a live person. Then it took her another 15 minutes because she didn't know how to do it/had to wait for a supervisor.

She was friendly at least, but when I asked about the business today she said a lot of owners are calling to pay their maintenance fees.........

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Called Thursday night(between 5pm and 6pm). II line was busy, couldn't get through for a while. When I did get through I was put on hold for 20 min. When I talked to a "live" rep they transferred me to the wrong exchange and had to start from scratch. This happened two more times. I was trying to reach the Marriott desk at II. Eventually, I contacted Marriott directly and asked them to put me through to their desk at II. That worked quick. I should've thought of that sooner but I never really deal wth II, or exchange for that matter. Oh well, guess I learned something new.

mlfrancis

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the 5-day Travel package for Reward points, you do not have to do that through the MVCI desk. Just call Marriott Rewards Customer Service and they can do it for you.

I did call the Rewards number and they told me that the MVCI people had to do it for me.

Johnfi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called in on Wed am for the first time to book home resort (MFC) and ask a bunch of questions and had no wait time at all. I also had no prob booking the week we wanted (Thanksgiving).

crjask

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is correct.

I did call the Rewards number and they told me that the MVCI people had to do it for me.

I booked a travel package last August. I called the regular rewards number to do it. After the agent asked me basic information, he asked whether I wanted a 5 day or the 7 day package. I was booking 7 day, but he appeared to know I was an owner and eligible to book a 5 day. It didn't seem to matter to him which I booked.
We are going to London for 7 nights this June.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now it is Monday morning Jan 9. I called right at 9:00AM. It is now 9:35AM. First I received a recording that they were experiencing "an unusually high volume of calls. Please call back." That is unacceptable. They knew today was going to bring in "an unusually high volume fo calls" so hire more people to answer the phones!! Now I am 'On hold' for "approximately 10 minutes".
After all of this aggravation, will my weeks still be there?

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Hi Smooth Air,

I am so sorry you are having problems booking too. Like you, I was trying to book at my PRECISE 13 mo booking window for my home resort, MMOC Napili towers. I was dialing, dialing just before 9am opening to be one of the very 1st calls, as I was last week. Somehow I didn't get into that nanosecond when the clock turned 9am EST, and the call queue was so busy, they kept kicking me off the phone! Wouldn't even put me in queue to wait. AUGH!! :wall:

I FINALLY, after non-stop trying, got into queue with an 8 minute wait at 9:19am. And just like last week (though I was the advisor's first call of the day), there was ZERO inventory. I posted a thread about this a few days ago and have gotten some great info from other Marriott owners. (thanks everyone!) Oh, and I was trying repeatedly online to book simultaneously while doing all the above.

I'm going to just keep trying both ways, and PRAY that I can get something that is at least CLOSE to my desired dates. Good luck to you, Smooth Air!!! Let me know when you get a reservation!

Again, I had a Marriott employee tell me that they could NOT believe that there was nothing at all when I was the 1st call at the 1st moment possible. Very odd...

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I am on hold now with Marriott. A recorded message has advised that the wait time would be 30 minutes to speak with a rep!!! I am wondering if Marriott is now doing the same as the airlines: Setting it up so that wait times are so unreasonaby lengthy that it forces people to make reservations online. I would prefer to speak with somebody to make my Marriott reservations.

It seems to be getting more difficult to get the weeks we want either through Marriott directly at our home resort where we own 2 Platinum weeks or through II doing an exchange. I did not renew my II membership this year because we could not get the week we wanted after waiting almost a year. The year before we were confirmed by II within a couple of months for the identical request. I am starting to feel that it may not be worth all the hassle owning timeshares.

What has your experience been lately with trying to book the weeks you want with Marriott? Are you happy?

Smooth Air

I have had no problems at all but, I prefer to book online. No waits, I know that I've booked exactly what I want, I get a confirmation number than can be printed out, I don't have to worry a rep misunderstood me and messed my reservation up and, best of all, no wait times or doing business during Marriott's business hours.

Fortunately, I don't own a resort week/season where one block of weeks is so exceptionally valuable that I have to call right at the sound of the bell to get the week we want.

Last edited:

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is now 10:24AM & I just hung up. Almost an hour and a half and....I did not get the weeks that I wanted. They went to some other Ocean Pointe Owners while I was on hold. I shd have tried Doug's online suggestion but I prefer to speak with somebody.
This is so annoying.

Too much of a hassle for me. Don't have the time or the patience anymore for this timeshare booking nonsense. What's the point of owning if you cannot get the weeks that you want? I'd be better off renting from an Ocean Pointe Owner. And, now that my MF's are almost $1400 per week, renting is looking pretty good.

Southerngirl,
Want to join me at some nice beachfront "nontimeshare" place? Maybe in Playa del Camen on a beach?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is now 10:24AM & I just hung up. Almost an hour and a half and....I did not get the weeks that I wanted. They went to some other Ocean Pointe Owners while I was on hold. I shd have tried Doug's online suggestion but I prefer to speak with somebody.
This is so annoying.

Too much of a hassle for me. Don't have the time or the patience anymore for this timeshare booking nonsense. What's the point of owning if you cannot get the weeks that you want? I'd be better off renting from an Ocean Pointe Owner. And, now that my MF's are almost $1400 per week, renting is looking pretty good.

Southerngirl,
Want to join me at some nice beachfront "nontimeshare" place? Maybe in Playa del Camen on a beach?

You were trying to get a January week and still having this much trouble?

abg1688

TUG Member
Reaction score
5-day 7-day travel package

Sorry to be ignorant. What are the 5-day or 7 day travel package? Is there a webpage within marriott.com listing the options? Thanks!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
... I shd have tried Doug's online suggestion but I prefer to speak with somebody. ...

You were trying to get a January week and still having this much trouble?

Based on this thread I think the OP was trying for two consecutive weeks, 2/10 and 2/17/2013.

Smooth Air, Doug's suggestion to book online is excellent if you're booking a single week at the 12-mos mark. But you have to call in anyway if you want to use the 13-mos window for concurrent/consecutive weeks - the online system doesn't support 13-mos reservations. (I'm like you, I prefer actually speaking with a rep. But on TUGgers' suggestions I've started using the online system when using the 12-mos window and it really does go much quicker with a better success rate.)

Remember that your 13-mos window for the two consecutive Feb '13 weeks is still open and you still have an advantage over single-week reservations until the 12-mos window of those weeks. You never know when somebody might cancel something previously booked so you should call in occasionally during the window and hopefully something will open up for you. Also, if that doesn't happen and you end up using the 12-mos mark after all, if you're successful in getting the 2/10/13 week at that point then your 13-mos window for the consecutive week will be open, so that same day with a 2/10/13 confirmation in hand you can call to see if the consecutive 2/17/13 week is available. If it is, great! If not, use the online system the following week when the 12-mos window for 2/17/13 opens.

Good luck. There really isn't anything much more aggravating in timesharing than not being able to reserve the week(s) you want.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's why I though the was trying to get a January week because February weeks are not available online at this time.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Sorry to be ignorant. What are the 5-day or 7 day travel package? Is there a webpage within marriott.com listing the options? Thanks!

Any Marriott Rewards member can use MR Points to book 7-day Travel Packages for air and hotel. Here's a link to the marriott.com page (not sure if you'll have to sign in to your account.)

Marriott Vacation Club Owners are also eligible for 5-day Marriott Rewards Travel Packages. To see those, sign in to your my-vacationclub.com account, click on "Program Enhancements" under "Marriott Rewards" in the column on the right and scroll down for the chart.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any Marriott Rewards member can use MR Points to book 7-day Travel Packages for air and hotel. Here's a link to the marriott.com page (not sure if you'll have to sign in to your account.)

Marriott Vacation Club Owners are also eligible for 5-day Marriott Rewards Travel Packages. To see those, sign in to your my-vacationclub.com account, click on "Program Enhancements" under "Marriott Rewards" in the column on the right and scroll down for the chart.
Just to add a little history - and this is only my opinion. I believe Marriott let TS (MVC) owners have the 5-night option because the total MR points needed on these 5-night hotel stay packages are 'close' to the total points required for the 7-night hotel stays packages before Marriott last devalued their MR points in 2009. My guess is Marriott thought this would appease some TS owners, some who purchased with the thought (as illustrated by the friendly TS salesman at the time) of being able to make use of these travel packages (but for 7 nights).

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I did not know that ....that you cld not do 13 mos online. Always learn something here at TUG.

Thanks for all the info, Sue & on my Pres thread too.

Smooth Air

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's time that Marriott stopped letting people reserve premium weeks for trading purposes. Starwood did this.

It would allow those who want to enjoy their resorts many more premium weeks to choose from.

Just a thought.