• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

when tpus to deposit are lower than tpus to exchange

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find it in my search. Is there any recourse with RCI when your week is available for exchange for more TPUs than the deposit calculator shows for deposit? I haven't deposited my week yet and the RCI rep on the phone was clueless. :rolleyes:

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
No recourse that I've heard of. Make sure you deposit 9 months out to avoid any TPU haircut. Where do you own that has this mismatch of TPU's?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No recourse other than don't deposit it with RCI if you don't think you are getting enough value for it. You can send an letter or email saying that you are not depositing because of the disparity. If enough owners refuse to deposit, it may make RCI reconsider. I had one that went from 32 in 2011 to 26 in 2012. I won't be depositing. They did adjust it up to 28 but still don't think I will deposit.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dolphin's Cove in Anaheim. The past couple years, I've received more than was needed to exchange. But now the deposit calculator is less than the same week available for exchange. Only slightly different, but every TPU counts for me!

On another interesting note, my deposit last year increased by 4 TPUs mid year. Recently the same holiday week was showing back to the original TPU amount on the calculator. I checked it again today because others reported their deposits increasing yesterday, and it increased by 1 TPU. I'd like to deposit it while it's showing higher (knowing it can go higher if it is revalued again), but not if that means I have no leverage to get them to match what they're requesting for an exchange of the same week. :rolleyes:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
When an exchange company cheats you by underpointing your week, the best recourse is to use a different exchange company. That is why RCI will not get my summer UK weeks again, even though they send me emails begging me to deposit them. They go instead to other exchange companies that treat me fairly. That is also why RCI will also never get my OBX summer week, even though it is fairly valued. If they are going to cheat me on one resort, I am not even going to give them one where their values are honest.

Also email your resort manager and HOA president about your resort being cheated on deposit value. Rattle the cage a bit!

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
When an exchange company cheats you by underpointing your week, the best recourse is to use a different exchange company. That is why RCI will not get my summer UK weeks again, even though they send me emails begging me to deposit them. They go instead to other exchange companies that treat me fairly. That is also why RCI will also never get my OBX summer week, even though it is fairly valued. If they are going to cheat me on one resort, I am not even going to give them one where their values are honest.

Also email your resort manager and HOA president about your resort being cheated on deposit value. Rattle the cage a bit!

Who decides an honest value? I own week 27 in williamsburg...i think it should be worth one million TPU, how dare RCI not be honest about what they give me!

Summer UK weeks are worth all of ZERO TPU's to me, because i have no interest in going, ever...You'd have to pay me TPU's to go and pay my flight and meals...So possibly worth negative TPU's

Last edited:

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who decides an honest value? I own week 27 in williamsburg...i think it should be worth one million TPU, how dare RCI not be honest about what they give me!

Summer UK weeks are worth all of ZERO TPU's to me, because i have no interest in going, ever...You'd have to pay me TPU's to go and pay my flight and meals...So possibly worth negative TPU's

I think Carolinian means a fair/honest value that most are willing to pay, kinda like determining the FMV of a house. Of course I'd never want to buy a flat in New York, but a heck of a lot of other people do, hence the high cost.

Partically everyone and their mother wants to go to Disneyland at Christmas/New Years. Not me!! RCI charges a pretty penny for that exchange, and in the past, compensated me as well. I was happy to give it to them! But now they're not showing the love as they used to :shrug: -- that's the point.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Carolinian means a fair/honest value that most are willing to pay, kinda like determining the FMV of a house. Of course I'd never want to buy a flat in New York, but a heck of a lot of other people do, hence the high cost.

Partically everyone and their mother wants to go to Disneyland at Christmas/New Years. Not me!! RCI charges a pretty penny for that exchange, and in the past, compensated me as well. I was happy to give it to them! But now they're not showing the love as they used to :shrug: -- that's the point.

Tough economy...My ideal vacation is Disney Animal Kingdom Villa's over the christmas break....But because of the economy...Odd's are i won't be going for 5-7 more years...All my vacations over those next 5-7 years will be within driving distance of my home...I'm sure i'm not the only one

Odds are RCI has seen the glut in travel and lowered TPU's accordingly...If anything, this is a positive thing for us with RCI, they are reacting to the market accordingly

You can't do better then RCI, well i'm sure you can, but you'll be getting overpointed and the value of the points won't be actual

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score

Honest value is determined by the overall demand in the totality of the system versus the overall supply in the totality of the system, not by the whims of one member or by any one subset of members. Anything else is RCI putting their thumbs on the scales to arbitrarily benefit or damage the value of particular members owning at particular places.

It is actually pretty easy to watch availibility over time to see where the gluts of supply relative to demand are and where the absence of supply relative to demand is. When the points lite numbers are far out of whack with this, then something is very definitely rotten in the state of RCI.

Also honest value would be exactly the same at the same point in time for the same week whether it is offered for deposit or taken for exchange. When RCI gives different values at the same point in time for the same week depending on whether it is for exchange or for deposit, then that is a huge red flag that their numbers racket is not honest. Yes, over time, the numbers will vary, as well they should with constant changes in supply and demand, but that is not the case when you are dealing with the same moment in time.