• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

is it possible to create a link for an ad...

thomasj

Reaction score
Is it possible to create a link for one's ad on TUG so it can be put in forum messages, so members can view it directly from the forum message (like a web link)?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes its possible (every individual ad has its own unique link), however putting a link to your ad on the forums would be against the no advertising rules.

thomasj

Reaction score
thank you

Thanks for your response Brian! OK, not a problem at all.
As an administrator could I ask you a few questions?

I have an ad for an owned timeshare - maint. fees current, no loans - at [resort name deleted] listed in the For Sale section on TUG.
This is currently the only ad I have for this timeshare for sale, other than one on the resort's site.
Using Craigslist was a bit awkward and as you know they do not have a classification for Timeshares, so trying posts under Real Estate For Sale etc. was not very effective.
I would like to sell this Timeshare and am asking a sale price of $600 to cover the Title Transfer fees only. Apparently even this can make the possibility of sale more difficult (?).
What I would like most is for one of the admins at TUG to take a look at my ad and offer any suggestions on wording and/or getting the ad to the right clientele. The response on my ads has been next to nothing.
Perhaps the market is just that bad. And there is the fact that this is a week in June in Vail, which is more of a winter resort. But I still feel like I'm somehow not getting notice from parties that might be interested.
I know this is getting a bit long...please let me mention that
1)WE SIMPLY NO LONGER WANT THIS TIMESHARE. We have not even been able to use it for more than 5 years now. It has been rented 2 or 3 of those years, though.
2)WITH THIS EVIDENCE THE RESORT IS NOT MAKING ANY EFFORT TO ACCOMMODATE OUR SELLING THE TIMESHARE. I don't want to be too negative about this - especially on a site made for people who really like Timeshares - but that leads me to my next point,
3)MY FAMILY IS NOT TRAVELING OFTEN AND WE ARE NOT EXPERIENCED TIMESHARE TRADERS. Actually, we've never even traded. My parents bought the Timeshare in 1977 and now we aren't using it and we simply want to sell it - if possible without having to pay ("eat") the Title Transfer fees too.
4) TUG is the best site I found for this subject and YES we have lost money paying other sites offering a place for ads (which had no response) and we have also already been RIPPED OFF by a "pay up front" "ownership" company called Vacation Ventures (was located in Colorado Springs).
Thank you for your time. DaveM sent me a good response - even while he was out of the country! I'm just trying to make the best effort I can here. It's not really Forum material so I've taken to trying to communicate with some of the admins directly. If you know anyone else who might have more time to go over some of this stuff with me please let me know! (and I'll "bug" them instead :) ) Thanks again-

thomasj (Fort Collins CO)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The market is that bad and you own an off-season week. Right now, the market is flooded with people like you who want to unload a timeshare with no resale value. Changing the wording of your Ad will not change the market conditions - but the more traffic your Ad has, the more likely you are to give it away.

If you are serious about getting rid of it, you need to give it away and pay the transfer costs, and it still won't be easy.

There are two places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free (no charge for the Ads.) There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well.

TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.) *Since you are asking $600- it didn't go there. BTW - $600 is way too much to transfer a free week - see my suggestion below.

Bargain Deals - Totally FREE! - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. In your post, include the following info.:
-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

To make it more attractive I would:

1) Pay the 2012 maintenance fees and don't ask for reimbursement.

2) Pay for the title transfer (you can get a simple title transfer with no escrow or title search for about $100.) Many people have used Tugger TTT (Alan) at Time Travel Traders for this service in the past, but he is retired and is referring most business to Lisa Short for this service - 1.706.969.8906 readylegal@gmail.com Lisa has been receiving good reviews on TUG.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2012 for the new owner​

I also use Redweek, My Resort Network, and Craigslist for advertising - all cheap or free, and they will give you a lot more traffic - which is critical. Also consider advertising locally where the timeshare is located in inexpensive local Ads like free circulars. You may also want to contact a local real estate or timeshare agent and see what they can do for you.

Good luck!

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
yes its possible (every individual ad has its own unique link), however putting a link to your ad on the forums would be against the no advertising rules.

Brian, the no advertising rule seems a little "squishy" when many people on TUG have links to their websites in their TUG signatures. They do not come right out and say, "Click on this link to see my timeshare related services, sales/rental listings", but it is the obvious intent. Why couldn't the OP put a similar link in his postings?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depending on your viewpoint The market for timeshares isnt that bad. There are lots of timeshares changing hands every day. I spoke to a broker recently and he says that they are able to sell almost everything they try to sell.. ...It is a quick and robust market...its just that prices are low

the problem from a sellers perspective is that prices are l so low in fact that many times my broker friend pays the closing costs and the transfer fees and includes a free vacation to get them sold.

As a buyer. I am always looking for an opportunity, and Im not the only one here buying.. I check the Tug ads weekly looking for certain resorts and Im sure others do as well...If yours is on my list and if its is priced right (for me that means $1 and you will pay the transfer fees, closing costs and current years mf and at least a weeks vacation is included) Ill take it.. If not Ill wait the market is so good that someone will come to my terms.

I know that this is not what you want to hear, consider it tough love. Chances are that your timeshare hasn't sold because its over priced

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Brian, the no advertising rule seems a little "squishy" when many people on TUG have links to their websites in their TUG signatures. They do not come right out and say, "Click on this link to see my timeshare related services, sales/rental listings", but it is the obvious intent. Why couldn't the OP put a similar link in his postings?

They can - as long as the link is generic and it's in their signature line - the posting rules are pretty clear:

Posting Rules - The advertising ban includes information in your bbs signature. You may link to a commercial website in your signature, but the link itself may not indicate the nature of the site. If your URL or domain name indicates the nature of the site, it should not be visually displayed. A visual link saying only "My website" or other similar innocuous wording is acceptable.

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Denise. I think the OP could provide a link to what he is selling, as long as he follows those rules.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, Denise. I think the OP could provide a link to what he is selling, as long as he follows those rules.

He could, but he would get a lot more mileage if he posted on the Bargain Deals forum and other places where people are looking for bargain deals AND got rid of the $600 closing costs.

Last edited: