• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oceana Palms versus Ocean Pointe

EKniager

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking to trade an Aruba Surf Club into one of these Palm Beach area resorts. We have already reserved Week #1 (Saturday check-in) in 2013 in Aruba and are looking for the same week in Florida. We have split our Aruba room and will be trading the larger 1-bedroom side, not the lockoff.

Are there reasons to pick one over the other?

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking to trade an Aruba Surf Club into one of these Palm Beach area resorts. We have already reserved Week #1 (Saturday check-in) in 2013 in Aruba and are looking for the same week in Florida. We have split our Aruba room and will be trading the larger 1-bedroom side, not the lockoff.

Are there reasons to pick one over the other?

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

They are both very nice resorts. I think Ocean Pointe is a little better location, but the units themselves are nicer at Oceana Palms.

One other note; I think it may be difficult to trade into Oceana Palms using a one bedroom exchange. All the villas at Oceana Palms are dedicated two bedrooms.

I am sure others will have comments to add.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have only stayed at Ocean Pointe but did take a tour at Oceana Palms. I think you would get better and more consistent views from Oceana Palms. The beach at Oceana Palms also looked a lot better when we were there last November. It was much wider and not as big of a drop off to the waters edge. It is only about a mile up the beach. That could have changed since then with changing currents.

For trading purposes, you will have a much easier time getting Ocean Pointe, only because you would be offering a like for like exchange. You could put in an ongoing request for Oceana Palms and if it came through you would have a 2BR unit, but it would be more difficult.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But, week 1 at either resort is a fairly easy exchange. I do not see a problem getting a 2BR at Oceana Palms for week 1 using your 1BR as a deposit.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oceana for 1 bedroom

I got Oceana 2-bedroom (first week of June) for 1-Bedroom Lakeshore Reserve (third week of June).

Oceana was beautiful... windy... but beautiful.

Note the scent in the air in the Lobby. :)

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
I've stayed at Ocean Pointe several times but only took the tour of Oceana Palms. The pointe is a mature fully developed sprawling property while the palms is a new compact property still under consrtuction. The palms is designed to appear more upscale with sleek design features. The pointe feels more "homey". The pool areas and the grounds at the pointe are larger and I think they are more suitable to families with children. The palms seems more suited to couples. The pointe is closer to the few resturants and shops in the area.
Having said that i don't think you could go wrong with either one.Good luck.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
scent

What scent in the air in the lobby?

Air freshener -- smell of citrus/melons. Very clean and fresh smelling.

Our "welcome gift" was body lotion with that same smell. My wife loves it. I'm surprised we were allowed to take it on the plane. :D

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I've stayed at Ocean Pointe several times but only took the tour of Oceana Palms. The pointe is a mature fully developed sprawling property while the palms is a new compact property still under consrtuction. The palms is designed to appear more upscale with sleek design features. The pointe feels more "homey". The pool areas and the grounds at the pointe are larger and I think they are more suitable to families with children. The palms seems more suited to couples. The pointe is closer to the few resturants and shops in the area.
Having said that i don't think you could go wrong with either one.Good luck.

We stayed at Oceana Palms Thanksgiving week and it was beautiful and sedate. We were 2 adults. We looked at Ocean Pointe and there were a lot more activities for kids there, higher noise level. If I were going back with grandchildren, I'd definitely want Ocean Pointe.

EKniager

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all.

We are going for our 30th anniversary with no family members or friends, just the two of us. We gave some thought to renting out our Aruba week and combining those funds with Marriott points to stay at the Ritz Carlton for the week but I am starting to get addicted to all the extra space of a condo/timeshare stay. Regardless, the higher end feel of the Oceana Palms will be very attractive to my wife.

We are driving and don't need to book flights so I think we will just go the "request-first" route via II for 3-6 months. If that doesn't come through I think we'll be able to just rent out the 1-bedroom in Aruba and rent the 2-bedroom in MVO from an owner. That appears to be almost equivalent, dollar-wise. If all else fails, trading into Ocean Pointe appears to be a fairly safe fall back position later in the year. There are a bunch of weeks for that resort available on II.

Thanks again my TUG friends!

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all.

We are going for our 30th anniversary with no family members or friends, just the two of us. We gave some thought to renting out our Aruba week and combining those funds with Marriott points to stay at the Ritz Carlton for the week but I am starting to get addicted to all the extra space of a condo/timeshare stay. Regardless, the higher end feel of the Oceana Palms will be very attractive to my wife.

We are driving and don't need to book flights so I think we will just go the "request-first" route via II for 3-6 months. If that doesn't come through I think we'll be able to just rent out the 1-bedroom in Aruba and rent the 2-bedroom in MVO from an owner. That appears to be almost equivalent, dollar-wise. If all else fails, trading into Ocean Pointe appears to be a fairly safe fall back position later in the year. There are a bunch of weeks for that resort available on II.

Thanks again my TUG friends!

I think you will be very happy at the Palms. The larger balconies (all with ocean view) are the best feature, IMO.

I would wait a bit longer for the rquest to come through. I think you will have better luck 3-4 months out.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is slightly off topic but related in general: Why are the summer months at Ocean Pointe and Palms considered gold season? Is it too hot there in the summer?

I own at Grande Vista and was thinking of resevering 2 weeks at OP during the summer since its part of the Florida club but was just curious as to why its classified as gold. I would think summer time at the beach would be platinum anywhere in the US (e.g. like the Carolinas) Any thoughts?

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Oceana Palms Thanksgiving week and it was beautiful and sedate. We were 2 adults. We looked at Ocean Pointe and there were a lot more activities for kids there, higher noise level. If I were going back with grandchildren, I'd definitely want Ocean Pointe.

I've stayed with kids at both and we actually preferred the Palms. There was less space for kids to run around outside, but I liked being able to sit on the balcony while the kids watched TV. I also thought the beach was better for kids. There is a shallow area a short way north of the Palms that my boys really enjoyed. There are two queen beds in the second bedroom and that worked out better for us as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either resort.

EKniager

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is slightly off topic but related in general: Why are the summer months at Ocean Pointe and Palms considered gold season? Is it too hot there in the summer?

I own at Grande Vista and was thinking of resevering 2 weeks at OP during the summer since its part of the Florida club but was just curious as to why its classified as gold. I would think summer time at the beach would be platinum anywhere in the US (e.g. like the Carolinas) Any thoughts?

I'm sure it is demand driven. People from the North (Michigan, New England, etc.) don't need to leave their regions in the summer. They go to the Great Lakes resort areas or Cape Cod or Jersey shore. Those of us inland VA/TN/NC can drive to Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head Island. Florida is a winter destination option for cold weather residents.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it is demand driven. People from the North (Michigan, New England, etc.) don't need to leave their regions in the summer. They go to the Great Lakes resort areas or Cape Cod or Jersey shore. Those of us inland VA/TN/NC can drive to Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head Island. Florida is a winter destination option for cold weather residents.

Ahh ok. Similar trend as Aruba where winter appears to be their prime season.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Speaking of aruba

Anyone ever have a "green monster" at smokey joe's?:D