• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2011 ] Questions about Summer Bay/The Desert Club Las Vegas

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We just got back from a great week at this resort - now DH wants to own there.

I see that you can pick up these weeks for free on ebay and other places, but I am not convinced that we should buy there when LV is such an easy exchange. Does this trade through RCI points, only?

Can someone give me the 10¢ version of the move from one resort to another, the management changes, and the current outlook by owners? I've read a lot of the threads, but I'm trying to get the big picture.

In looking at the Ads, it seems like this resort has both fixed weeks, and seasons, and that at 45 days out you can trade any week for anything available? Is that correct? How easy is it to trade out of your season at 45 days?

It also seems like the MF is advertised as being $5XX for both the 1 bdm. and 2 bdm. units? Is that correct?

The MF seems low? Why is that? Is it being subsidized? - I see there is a sales office.

Once the new pedestrian Mall and other nearby attractions are completed, it seems like this will be an even better location?

Any thoughts as to why we should or should not acquire a TS here?

Last edited:

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been having a similar inner argument with myself about Grande Vista in Orlando. Where I've landed is that for me in Orlando, it doesn't really have to be MGV. If it did, however, I would go against my better 'rational' judgment and buy.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from a great week at this resort - now DH wants to own there.

I see that you can pick up these weeks for free on ebay and other places, but I am not convinced that we should buy there when LV is such an easy exchange. Does this trade through RCI points, only?

Can someone give me the 10¢ version of the move from one resort to another, the management changes, and the current outlook by owners? I've read a lot of the threads, but I'm trying to get the big picture.

In looking at the Ads, it seems like this resort has both fixed weeks, and seasons, and that at 45 days out you can trade any week for anything available? Is that correct? How easy is it to trade out of your season at 45 days?

It also seems like the MF is advertised as being $5XX for both the 1 bdm. and 2 bdm. units? Is that correct?

The MF seems low? Why is that? Is it being subsidized? - I see there is a sales office.

Once the new pedestrian Mall and other nearby attractions are completed, it seems like this will be an even better location?

Any thoughts as to why we should or should not acquire a TS here?

I'm not certain anyone has a good sense of what the big picture & it's ramifications are just yet. The resort was taken over from Summer Bay by Orange Lake who is rebranding under the Holiday Inn Resorts label. They have a package & club which they sent out to existing owners that also wasn't very clearly labeled, at least from what I could make of it, but I also wasn't the least bit interested in being part of another vacation club.

I think part of the "problem" for OL is that there are potentially six types of owners of the TS property, each with seasonal variations and ownership types. Under the pre-move Summer Bay there were something like six or eight different unit sizes depending on the building unit you owned. When they moved to the current location it was standardized to three types (maybe four) & there was a surplus of larger owner units. Some of the old location owners were upgraded to a larger size week.

That's what happened to our week. We purchased resale a spring week, one bedroom size (old location) which was enrolled in RCI Points, and ended up with a two bedroom unit/week as a part of the transition to the newer property. Our MF this year totaled $551 ( 473 Operating Assessment, 75 reserve, 3 ARDA).

OL in the acquisition ended up with more than 100 units as a result of the move that were made available to sell, but had to be updated by the developer. OL announced in it's acquisition it's intention to do just that.

My original intention by purchasing this week a few years back was to use it for convention housing for an annual trade show in town. I had a thread asking if I could revert back to a straight week from RCI points, but figured it was a low cost way to be in points and give it a try. As such I've used our HGVC for convention housing adjacent to LVH, and kept this week in RCI points to book stays at a variety of places that I otherwise didn't want to spend our HGVC points on (through their RCI portal). I've only stayed at the property once and wasn't overly impressed. The unit was nice but a little cave like and there were some hassle unrelated to the TS as my wife & mom were together and had the car and I had to either take the monorail, meet up for a ride or cab it. It made for a less than optimal experience that one visit.

The property has lots of potential and I've not stayed there since the entrance & club house were finished and opened. You have so you know better than I on that front. So far it's been very useful as a points trader to us & in theory we'd simply use our points to book into again. My preference though has been to stay at HGVC when in Las Vegas, either Flamingo for pleasure or Karen for conventions. (It might be even more interesting if/when the Planet Hollywood tower appears in the HGVC system for us.)

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I owned 2 studios at the old resort, and was upgraded to 1BR units at the new complex. I have been happy with the resort, but am in the process of paring down my timeshare inventory. I gave away one of the weeks and am looking to give away the other. We are not in points; we have use of one week that floats May-June-July. For a housekeeping fee, the week can be split. We have never had trouble reserving outside of our season, within the 45 day timeframe, including holiday weeks. I have been happy with my ownership there. However, we have too many weeks and not enough vacation time :doh:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Looking for any owners who have converted to Holiday Inn Club. Any out there?

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking for any owners who have converted to Holiday Inn Club. Any out there?

I haven't received an invitation to do so yet. Did you get something in the mail? - Jacki

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was in the MF info......http://holidayinnclub.com/welcome/

Nominal fee is actually nominal. Surprise surprise. $100 transfer fee.

Plus the annual $104 (current $$ level).

Thanks for directing me.

Am I to understand that enrolling in Holiday Inn Club for $100 + $104 fee will give me an RCI points membership even though I did not purchase the points package from Summer Bay? They wanted $8000 to convert.

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
Am I to understand that enrolling in Holiday Inn Club for $100 + $104 fee will give me an RCI points membership even though I did not purchase the points package from Summer Bay? They wanted $8000 to convert.

I was quoted the $8,000 conversion fee for the Crown Club in 08 and $2,900 for a RCI points conversion in 04. I did not convert my week.

I have a traditional season four (Nov,Dec,Jan) one bedroom deluxe week. I usually go for New Year's Eve week, make a reservation 45 days in advance for early October or make an exchange for a $1 with DAE.

I have yet to see the $100 conversion fee for the Holiday Inn Club on the website or on any material that has been sent to me.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Greetings: I am planning to dump my two berm unit as a result of the OL takeover. I bought my week some years ago when other Tuggers jumped on the bandwagon upon learning of the new resort to be built and an increase in points. I am also not happy with the recent changes made by RCI. I won't renew my membership in April. We've been members since 1998.
The great exchanges within a 30/45 day window are now basically non
existent.

I am planning to search EBay or some other website for a cheap studio unit
that exchanges with II. Are there any specific websites to search for II units?

Thanks

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was quoted the $8,000 conversion fee for the Crown Club in 08 and $2,900 for a RCI points conversion in 04. I did not convert my week.

I have a traditional season four (Nov,Dec,Jan) one bedroom deluxe week. I usually go for New Year's Eve week, make a reservation 45 days in advance for early October or make an exchange for a $1 with DAE.

I have yet to see the $100 conversion fee for the Holiday Inn Club on the website or on any material that has been sent to me.

It was not in the materials sent to me either, but what I was told by 2 different people on the phone yesterday.

I own exactly the same thing as you, I did not convert with high $$ amounts. I book either new years and/or deposit it with DAE.

For $100 I would consider this, but I just want some experience with Holiday Inn Club shares direst.

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for directing me.

Holiday Inn points trade in RCI through the Holiday Inn RCI portal. I have not had a problem exchanging that way. I see weeks and points.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn points trade in RCI through the Holiday Inn RCI portal. I have not had a problem exchanging that way. I see weeks and points.

dwojo

Since you own at Holiday Inn Club already, do you mind sharing some experiences on using Holiday Inn Club within HI and how does it exchange into RCI. A Fixed schedule of points like the other portals or is there some other way you exchange for RCI. Please advise us of your HIC experiences.

Thanks

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned with HI for a year so am still learning how to use their system best. When exchanging with RCI I log on through the HI portal and all exchanges points or weeks are shown in HI points. RCI charges the normal fees. I have 150000 points eoy and by being flexible about when I go and watching for special offers I stayed 7 nights at Orange Lake in Orlando, exchanged for a long weekend in DuBois Pa. and still had enough points for another long weekend. When I have called my wait time was minimal and everyone has been helpful.

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
Sandy

When you talked on the phone to Holiday Inn Club, did they quote you a HCI point value for your week? After looking at the web site my best guess estimate is about 84,000 HCI points or 42,000 RCI points for a week like ours. Did they call you or have you gotten an official invite to talk about the possible conversion? Thanks Joe

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sandy

When you talked on the phone to Holiday Inn Club, did they quote you a HCI point value for your week? After looking at the web site my best guess estimate is about 84,000 HCI points or 42,000 RCI points for a week like ours. Did they call you or have you gotten an official invite to talk about the possible conversion? Thanks Joe

You are correct about the point amount, except I think they said 83K but that must be wrong because I looked it up on the point chart and it is 84K. Even though they assign you points, you can book your season regardless of points required. For instance even though I only own 83k I could still book new Years as that is in my home season and actual points don't come into play. I don't know if that only applies during a home season window, I did not get into that conversation.

I do know know how it converts to RCI points I have not investigated that far.

I did not get a call, I called them. There was a website note in our MF package. I called and asked about it.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called today, and was told that my 1BR, May-July week would get 98,000 Holiday Inn points, or 49,000 RCI points.

anne1125

TUG Member
Reaction score
I flipped through the 83 pages about the club on their website but it's confusing to me. I'm hoping you guys will help me decide whether this is a good thing for the owners of Desert Club and a good price.

We have until June to decide.

Thanks,
Anne

lawgs

Reaction score
Although it's an RCI Points resort (presumably - I didn't check), it does exchange through RCI Weeks as well. I'll be there later this week on a 9 TPU exchange.

are you going there for CES 2012??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Michael - How do you like The Desert Club? What bldg are you in?

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Michael - How do you like The Desert Club? What bldg are you in?
Building 18. Lousy view of the parking lot. Third floor, with no elevators. But I *LOVE* the resort. GAS stove (never seen one in a timeshare!), high quality furnishings and trim, HUGE closets, big flat screen TVs, a fireplace, comfortable (firm) beds, spacious, etc.

Considering this is a 9 TPU exchange ($179 exchange + $90 TPU cost for me), it sure beats a hotel. I'm sharing the 2BR unit with a friend / business associate (so it's basically just costing each of us $135 for the week!), and he commented that he liked it better than the Wynn.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Building 18. Lousy view of the parking lot. Third floor, with no elevators. But I *LOVE* the resort. GAS stove (never seen one in a timeshare!), high quality furnishings and trim, HUGE closets, big flat screen TVs, a fireplace, comfortable (firm) beds, spacious, etc.

Considering this is a 9 TPU exchange ($179 exchange + $90 TPU cost for me), it sure beats a hotel. I'm sharing the 2BR unit with a friend / business associate (so it's basically just costing each of us $135 for the week!), and he commented that he liked it better than the Wynn.

The complex was originally rental apartments. Harrah's wanted the land that the old Summer Bay was on, so they paid for all the renovations to the units and the complex. As an old Summer Bay owner, I made out great. I got a free upgrade from a studio to a 1BR, and if you ever saw the old Summer Bay you can appreciate the tremendous improvements. The only thing we gave up was a location closer to the strip.

MollyBuzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone clarify if the $104 for HI Club means you need to pay RCI their points membership as well on top of that, or does that $104 per year give you basically free access to RCI?

I am a weeks owner, was never interested in an RCI points membership (because I am planning to dump RCI and their rising costs soon). Worst case, I have my wekk in (or out) of my season, and can trade with DAE or Platinum, but maybe the HI Club is worth it..? I don't know...

and I stayed at Desert club once since I bought it, and loved it!

Last edited: