• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

rental car co's w/reasonable 1-way rates?

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to rent a car one way between Portland OR and either Reno NV or Bay Area CA... I'd like to plan a trip with a TS week at the OR coast + a drive taking in Crater Lake + Lassen NP in CA + a TS week either at Yosemite or Bay Area.

Are there any rental car companies with reasonable rates anymore for this? We've done this in the past a few times, but I couldn't find info online and thought I'd check with TUGgers.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It used to be that National and more recently, Budget, had rational 1-way rates.

You could do a meta-search using www.autoslash.com , Kayak or a similar.
Select 3 or 4 car companies and go directly to their websites to see if they have specials.

Major CC issuers (AmEx, Visa & MC), associations (AAA, AARP) and Costco sometimes have discounts that may help.

Last edited:

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I've booked quite a few including 2 for this Jan. I just check all the same rental companies and discounts you would for a roundtrip and keep checking. I've got a one way from San Diego to San Jose for $450 for 3 weeks that started at $525. Both were using the Costco discount. I've got another one that I've changed 4 times as I've tried various discount codes and companies and I've been able to get it down by $100.
Sometimes the one way rates can be cheaper than roundtrip if they need cars moved. You need to try lots of different pick-up or drop-off spots. For instance, a one way rental from Orange County to Santa Barbara was cheaper than a round trip to and from Long Beach. If you are dropping off in the Bay area, check all the airports including Sacramento (which is frequently cheaper on rental cars). Smaller airports (like Santa Rosa) are also good to check since they frequently have lower taxes, though that only counts at the place you pick up the car.

Good luck,
Sue

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The pricing is also sensitive to where the rental company has surpluses and deficits of cars. If you are picking up in a location with surplus and dropping in an area of deficit you will, of course, get a much better rate than in the reverse case.

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to rent a car one way between Portland OR and either Reno NV or Bay Area CA... I'd like to plan a trip with a TS week at the OR coast + a drive taking in Crater Lake + Lassen NP in CA + a TS week either at Yosemite or Bay Area.

Are there any rental car companies with reasonable rates anymore for this? We've done this in the past a few times, but I couldn't find info online and thought I'd check with TUGgers.

Laurie:
May I ask you about the TS info you mentioned above? What are the TS resorts I can choose to reserve for those trips?

OR coast + a drive taking in Crater Lake + Lassen NP in CA?
a TS week either at Yosemite or Bay Area ?

Thank you for sharing in advance.

Emily

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found that one way rentals are a great use for free rental certificates earned from promotions and/or frequent renter programs (at least for National, although I suspect others are similar). On one trip, we flew into one city, stayed there a couple weeks, drove to another city, stayed there a few days, drove to another city, stayed there a week, then flew home. On our "driving between cities" days, we booked one day, one way rental cars using free rental certificates. While we were in each city, we used a separate paid rental. Some of the one ways would have been $300+ for a day.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Laurie:
May I ask you about the TS info you mentioned above? What are the TS resorts I can choose to reserve for those trips?

OR coast + a drive taking in Crater Lake + Lassen NP in CA?
a TS week either at Yosemite or Bay Area ?

Thank you for sharing in advance.

Emily
Emily, we only have one confirmation so far, into Otter Rock in Oregon.

I've always wanted to see Crater Lake, and I'd like to do this trip:
www.discoverklamath.com/attractions/docs/VolcanicScenicBywayMap.pdf
Distance: 500 stunning miles
Drive Time: 5 - 7 hours
Best Time: July to October for Crater Lake
http://www.discoverklamath.com/attractions/VLSB.asp

I'm exploring various ending destinations so that we won't have to backtrack. You can search your exchange company for options, nothing is that close on the southern end in RCI, but there's always new scenery to take in on the way.

It's too early to reserve a car yet, but I appreciate narrowing down the options to be most likely companies. Thanks all!

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Emily, we only have one confirmation so far, into Otter Rock in Oregon.

I've always wanted to see Crater Lake, and I'd like to do this trip:
www.discoverklamath.com/attractions/docs/VolcanicScenicBywayMap.pdf
Distance: 500 stunning miles
Drive Time: 5 - 7 hours
Best Time: July to October for Crater Lake
http://www.discoverklamath.com/attractions/VLSB.asp

I'm exploring various ending destinations so that we won't have to backtrack. You can search your exchange company for options, nothing is that close on the southern end in RCI, but there's always new scenery to take in on the way.

It's too early to reserve a car yet, but I appreciate narrowing down the options to be most likely companies. Thanks all!

That's a beautiful drive anytime of year. The Crater Lake Lodge was recently redone and sitting in the rocking chairs overlooking the lake is pretty nifty. You might also look at Running Y in Klamath Falls as a timeshare. It's less than an hour from Crater Lake so a very easy day trip. Just south is Lava Beds National Monument as well. Running Y has some timeshare buildings (Worldmark) but also some nightly rental places and vacation rental homes so that might work well for a couple night stay between Otter Crest and Tahoe/Yosemite.