• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood II trade value - am I doing something wrong?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Over the last month, I've been comparing what my Starwood weeks can see online in II with other deposits, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? First of all, only my 2011 weeks appear for exchange. Shouldn't I be able to search with 2012 weeks now?

Also, when I search with our 2011 Maui or HRA units, they show a very small percentage of what my deposited 2012 summer week in Marbella (Marriott) shows, and it has nothing to do with Marriott/Starwood preference. Marbella is seeing a lot more "Resorts of Distinction" and Starwood is seeing generic resorts. I thought our Starwood units would have similar trade value as Marriott. Does a DEPOSITED (mine are not deposited) Starwood week have more value when searching online availability?

Just when I think I understand how it works, it seems there is always something new for me to learn!

Thanks.

Pam

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your Starwood 2011 weeks are near dead as an exchange vehicle.

Meanwhile your summer 2012 Marriott Marbella week is not.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Are you searching with studios or 2 bedrooms? II can be quirky so try reloading if you are not seeing what you expect. My 2 bedroom starwood (undeposited) can see the same inventory as a 2 bedroom marriott with the exception of the marriott preference.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Denise gave excellent advice to someone a few weeks ago, which I tested and realized she was spot on with the advice. You must deposit your Starwood weeks and enter an ongoing search with them. Once you do that, your trading power will be excellent.

My test was a small 1 bed at SBP, which pulled almost nothing, no how many times I logged back in, cleared browsing history, etc. Then I entered an ongoing search with the week, and I tried my searches again a few minutes later. Amazing difference. I was able to book a 2 bed Sands of Kahana for next February (whale season) that I saw on Sightings. That week couldn't see those 2 bedrooms before the ongoing search. :cheer:

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your Starwood 2011 weeks are near dead as an exchange vehicle.

Meanwhile your summer 2012 Marriott Marbella week is not.

Either I disagree or am confused by your statement...

Starwood 2011 weeks were given to II plenty of time in advance to establish the seasonal trading value. If you have an ongoing request with your Starwood 2011 week, you are being 'assigned' that value and still have plenty of time in the coming year+ to use it.

In the old system, with a pending request first, that value shrunk the closer you get to the check in date. With the new system, your week value behaves more like a pre-existing deposit.

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Either I disagree or am confused by your statement...

Starwood 2011 weeks were given to II plenty of time in advance to establish the seasonal trading value. If you have an ongoing request with your Starwood 2011 week, you are being 'assigned' that value and still have plenty of time in the coming year+ to use it.

In the old system, with a pending request first, that value shrunk the closer you get to the check in date. With the new system, your week value behaves more like a pre-existing deposit.

Sorry for the confusion.

The OP has not deposited the week.

Pam posted :"Does a DEPOSITED (mine are not deposited) Starwood week have more value when searching online availability?

If deposited, it would have the ability to see more. Pam has only one more day to make that deposit.
So, it is almost dead.

getmoreveggies

TUG Member
Reaction score
You must deposit your Starwood weeks and enter an ongoing search with them. Once you do that, your trading power will be excellent.

How do you enter an "ongoing search?"

By "deposit your Starwood week" do you mean actually give II the week rather than just pressing "Exchange" when searching availability?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Pam -

In a nutshell - since Starwood changed the rules in 2009, you no longer see the actual weeks available for deposit - all you see is the current year's placeholder. Since it's still 2011 - you will see a 2011 placeholder. On Jan. 1 - you should see a 2012 placeholder. The placeholder has nothing to do with what you actually have deposited or used - you need to keep track of that yourself.

Let's say that you have deposited your 2011 week, but not exchange it yet. On Jan. 1, you will see the a placeholder labeled 2012 - BUT, Starwood will still use the 2011 week FIRST if you make an exchange (in theory, anyway.)

I know it makes no sense - but that's how they do it.

Please see the Starwood and II sticky at the top of the forum for all the details about maximizing your trading power by depositing your week and putting in a token exchange request.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise: I'm still trying to learn the II system and here is what I am a little confused about when you say to deposit your week and put in an exchange request to maximize trading power. So is this what I do:

1. Pay my MF
2. Deposit my week in II
3. Place an exchange request....
(but what if we haven't decided where we want to go in 2013 yet? Do I just place a "bogus" request then change it later?) Can it be changed on line or do I have to call the Service Center to make the change?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise: I'm still trying to learn the II system and here is what I am a little confused about when you say to deposit your week and put in an exchange request to maximize trading power. So is this what I do:

1. Pay my MF
2. Deposit my week in II
3. Place an exchange request....
(but what if we haven't decided where we want to go in 2013 yet? Do I just place a "bogus" request then change it later?) Can it be changed on line or do I have to call the Service Center to make the change?

Yes - you place a "token" request that can be changed later. We aren't sure why, but this will increase your trading power, and make Instant Online Exchanges go through easier. Make the ongoing request something that you'd actually like to have or a very difficult one like New Year's week at Harborside Atlantis. You have to request at least 3 resorts or 3 dates. Later on, you can add and removed requests both online and on the phone.

See the Starwood and II FAQ at the top of the forum for more info.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Denise
I actually printed out the Starwood and II FAC's sticky. I will follow it when making my request. Your info is always so helpful.:)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

By "deposit your Starwood week" do you mean actually give II the week rather than just pressing "Exchange" when searching availability?

When you designate your week for exchange with II, you aren't giving up your week until you are matched with an ongoing exchange or make an exchange but you can't keep a reserved float week at your resort while searching. The only way to "get your week back" would be to cancel the ongoing search and/or the exchange designation and then to reserve whatever week is available at that time at your resort in your float season. This works well if you want a summer or later week. You can designate for exchange and search Jan - 1 year to 10 months prior and then cancel and reserve your week if desired. It also works out well if you know you will be exchanging through II, you can start Jan 1 the year prior instead of 1 year prior. Starwood doesn't bulk bank that far ahead but it is good if you need it earlier or are trying to get a jump on others searches.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

For all the details about how to deposit a Starwood timeshare, see the Starwood & II FAQ at the top of the forum for a walk-through.