• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many points for a sales presentation?

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Hilton Head over Christmas.

I got called yesterday by the concierge asking if we had any special requests during our stay, and, by the way, were we interested in attending a sales presentation while we are there.

She only offered 10,000 points. That seemed low to me.

What has eveyone else been getting lately? I can understand why there was variation between sites when they sold weeks, but now that everyone is selling the same product, why is there a difference in points depending on where you attend the presentation?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We received 10,000 in Hilton Head last April. To us it is low and we would never do another presentation for 10,000 points after the horrible experience at the sales presentation in HHI. Most other properties are offering at least 15,000. We received 17,500 at Oceana Palms.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I lot of locations are only offering 10,000 points now. We are currently at Manor Club and it is 10,000 points. A few weeks ago we were at the Maui Ocean Club and it was 10,000 points there, too, unless you went at 1:30 pm, when they gave 15,000. A few years ago Maui routinely offered 20,000 points.

Last edited:

amisco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ko Olina Beach Club

Going in about an hour 5000 per person...10,000 per couple.. OR $70 off the luao per person....

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oceana Palms - 17500

Oceana Palms was offering 17,500. I think they are offering more at the DC resorts.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Oceana Palms was offering 17,500. I think they are offering more at the DC resorts.

At this point there really isn't a distinction between "the DC resorts" and others because practically every US resort (including Ritz Carlton Vail and Grande Residence Tahoe) has had inventory conveyed to the Trust by Marriott. At last report only Custom House, Mountain Valley Lodge and StreamSide weren't in the Trust. There is an ongoing Recorded Trust Documents thread where dioxide and GregT are reporting the conveyances.

Granted, some resorts have had many more Weeks conveyed than others, and not all of the Weeks conveyed are high-demand/value weeks. But it still means that practically every US resort is now a "DC resort."

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have a 5-night rental coming up at SurfWatch using the DC Member/VISA discount rate. The "concierge" called the other day and offered $250 off the stay if we attended a presentation. I said no thanks, he asked if we were "suuuuuuuure" we didn't want to reduce the cost further, I said no thanks, don't want to waste anybody's time and that was it. I didn't even think to ask if it was possible to get MR Points instead. If someone calls again I'll ask if so and how much (but I won't make a call just for that reason.)

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
At this point there really isn't a distinction between "the DC resorts" and others because practically every US resort (including Ritz Carlton Vail and Grande Residence Tahoe) has had inventory conveyed to the Trust by Marriott. At last report only Custom House, Mountain Valley Lodge and StreamSide weren't in the Trust. There is an ongoing Recorded Trust Documents thread where dioxide and GregT are reporting the conveyances.

Granted, some resorts have had many more Weeks conveyed than others, and not all of the Weeks conveyed are high-demand/value weeks. But it still means that practically every US resort is now a "DC resort."

Susan; from what I heard, Marriott was buying back weeks at the Custom House foreclosure auction a few days ago. My guess would be that these weeks will likely end up in the DC inventory.

LilMsFoodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
"concierge" from Grande Vista called last night and offered $100 Marriott "cash" or 15000 pts. I passed and then I was offered two rounds of golf at Grande Pines or the Ritz course. Now that I took them up on. I haven't been to a presentation since 1997. I think I can say no quite easily.

We are staying 3 days next week to use up some points that I didn't bank for '12.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
For Grand Chateau last week, we were offered 20,000 points in the phone call we received at home just before we left. I had forgotten that she mentioned a computer bag as well, until they handed it to us after the presentation. The "Sales Executive" had only been with Marriott 5 months and knew the basics of the program, but didn't really know as much about the system in general as long time owners.

We still are on the fence about the DC, so when he started on the "All the II inventory will dry up" routine, that was it for me. The only presenter that has not gone the "threat" route was in Maui, so if we join, we'll join with him. Don't think they probably get anything out of just signing us up for the DC, but I won't give any of the threat mongers any encouragement at all.

We are now at Desert Springs, and were offered 10,000 points by phone before we left. (and before Grand Chateau called). Not a word since we've been here, so they must know we just did a presentation in Las Vegas, or believed me when I said no over the phone.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Susan; from what I heard, Marriott was buying back weeks at the Custom House foreclosure auction a few days ago. My guess would be that these weeks will likely end up in the DC inventory.

I am not sure how Marriott is handling Custom House. I believe it is a RTU property? They haven't conveyed any points to the trust meaning they can't use any inventory there to sell points off of it. Shouldn't be a problem as long as they have deeded points they can sell. There is also the issue where they can't charge DC Trust Point owners MFs to cover those Boston weeks that they may be using to feed the trust reservations.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score

You're right, of course. What I meant was resorts with much more DC availability. I could be wrong, but I figured it would be easier for them to promote the most recent construction as something new and different. Maybe Marriott has figured out that they are more likely to make a points sale at some resorts than others if they can just get people in the door.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I lot of locations are only offering 10,000 points now. We are currently at Manor Club and it is 10,000 points. A few weeks ago we were at the Maui Ocean Club and it was 10,000 points there, to, unless you went at 1:30 pm, when they gave 15,000. A few years ago Maui routinely offered 20,000 points.

We'll look to do the 1:30pm for th 15k in Feb when we're at the MOC. I'm still getting good value out of MAR so the points add up for us nicely.

We're using a 5 night cert in Feb in Maui and have another in the pipeline with travel package cert. I continue to chase points because we can still turn them into real value.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You're right, of course. What I meant was resorts with much more DC availability. I could be wrong, but I figured it would be easier for them to promote the most recent construction as something new and different. Maybe Marriott has figured out that they are more likely to make a points sale at some resorts than others if they can just get people in the door.

Sounds good. It might also have something to do with the number of presentations that take place at each site. On Hilton Head all 8 Marriott resorts funnel their presentations through the single Sales Office at SurfWatch so they have a pretty constant stream of customers despite the low MRP they offer. If one guest says no to the piddly offer there are two others waiting in the wings. Other Sales Offices may have to offer more MRP because they have a smaller pool of customers at local resorts. If the offer isn't enticing their sales staff is idle.