• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sands of Kahana

jmdickie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is wifi now at this resort? Also, do most of the rooms have an ocean view. Is there a particular building one would request. We have an II exchange starting Dec 30?

sdbrier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you're a tug member, you can access the resort ratings and reviews on tug marketplace. There are some nice reviews there and a picture of the layout of the buildings. It's been a while since I've stayed there, so I don't recall the building numbers, but the two closest the ocean would be my choice. The last review is over a year old, and says there's no wifi, but that could have changed. Last I knew they were doing renovations at the resort. We really enjoyed our time there. A nice family resort. It's not a Marriott, but very adequate and we had no complaints.:)

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just reserved a 3 bedroom unit for 2013. I have been trying to decide if this is a good trade. I would be interested on any recent visits to this resort.

Most of the reviews here and Trip Advisor are good to mixed.

I did trade a Marriott HHI gold season. I realize this will not be Marriott quality but hope nice and a decent location.

Thanks, jd2601

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just reserved a 3 bedroom unit for 2013. I have been trying to decide if this is a good trade. I would be interested on any recent visits to this resort.

Most of the reviews here and Trip Advisor are good to mixed.

I did trade a Marriott HHI gold season. I realize this will not be Marriott quality but hope nice and a decent location.

Thanks, jd2601

We stayed at the Maui Ocean Club last March while some friends stayed at the Sands of Kahana. There is definitely a very large difference in these two properties, so if you are accustomed to staying at Marriott's, Starwood properties, Disney Vacation Club, Hyatt, etc., you will find this to be a different experience.

At the same time, Sands of Kahana is very unique and in some ways very nice. Our friends stayed in a 3 bedroom unit on the top floor. It had cathedral ceilings with ceiling fans for cooling (no air conditioning and it was very hot when we were in their room). There were lots of windows, however and great views as well as 2 or 3 Lanais including a very nice one off the main living room. The unit was very spacious and although the decor and construction style was very much circa 1978 (sort of like going back in a time machine), it was clean and well maintained. The grounds are ok, much smaller pool and surrounding gardens than you ordinarily see at more recently-constructed resorts.

Overall, I would think it would be a fun place to stay. As long as you don't need AC (we do and would not be able to handle Hawaii without AC, but we are from Montana where it is usually much cooler) and you don't go with expectations of a property comparable to some of the major developers, you will have a great time.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at another Consolidated managed property, Gardens at West Maui just down the road. They also don't have wifi but offer a wired (ethernet cable) internet hookup via the local cable TV company for a fee. Last time it was between $40 & $50 for the week, or a daily fee.

Check with your home internet provider if they have any hotspots on the island which you can access. We have AT&T U-verse which gives us free access to their public locations & my Sprint phone also doubles as a wifi hotspot so I have internet without paying extra for it at the resort(s).

We are staying at Sands in October so I'll have first hand experience what the status is then.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
As UWSurfer said, they do charge $50 a week for wired. We brought our router and used it to access wirelessly. There were four of us.

Sands of Kahana is a very nice resort and not like a Marriott or Westin at all. That's one of the reasons we like it. It's more like you are staying in Hawaii. If you are inside a unit at the Westin, the inside of the units are so much like other resorts, it's not like being on Maui. I realize it's very luxurious at the Westin, and when on the lanai, it's got a very Hawaiian feel, but the inside of the units, not so much.

We like the open windows and let the breeze in at Hono Koa and Sands. The sun does set in the West, so that part of the day gets warm in most of the units, even with the windows open. But the sunsets are fabulous to watch, and depending on the time of year, the days are short enough that the sun sets fairly early. We tend to leave in the afternoon anyway, so we come back for sunset.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a 2 or 3 bedroom at Sands, but we own there, so we are a bit biased.