• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

eBay Inventory

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is it that the folks who recognize that eBay is not the ONLY market, are the ones who are seen with their heads in the sand?

Ebay isn't the only market, its just the largest market with the most sales and inventory of anywhere else IN the market and as such, it sets the price...this is what makes it 'the market' not that its a singular entity, but that because of its size its the entity that sets the market price

If you have 100 stores in your neighborhood and they all sell item Q, for a total sales a day of 1,000 item Q's and you find that 85% of all sales, heck, even 51% of all sales are coming from one store....that store is 'the market' for 'item Q'

EKniager

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ebay isn't the only market, its just the largest market with the most sales and inventory of anywhere else IN the market and as such, it sets the price...this is what makes it 'the market' not that its a singular entity, but that because of its size its the entity that sets the market price

If you have 100 stores in your neighborhood and they all sell item Q, for a total sales a day of 1,000 item Q's and you find that 85% of all sales, heck, even 51% of all sales are coming from one store....that store is 'the market' for 'item Q'

Have you actually counted the Redweek "For Sales" ads versus eBay. I'm not sure eBay has the largest inventory of Marriotts.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you actually counted the Redweek "For Sales" ads versus eBay. I'm not sure eBay has the largest inventory of Marriotts.

Marriotts? Ah, just realized this wasn't in the general section, i'd say Ebay has the largest inventory of combined TS's....You're right though, i'm not sure on a Marriott specific cases

The problem with the Redweek ad's is some will never sell and just sit there forever...They're just priced at rediculous levels(i'd say 90% are ridiculously high) and there is no way to determine what has sold and what has just been pulled because the price was too high

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Yes, I would base the price I am willing to pay on the latest resales in the neighborhood, even if they were short sales or foreclosure sales. I would certainly factor in property condition, but I would NOT consider the circumstances that led up to the last sale being a short sale or foreclosure sale.

My condo is worth 50% of what it was worth three years ago. I can try to say that that is not really the case - that the last foreclosure sale was just an anomaly - but the FACT of the matter is that the last willing seller and the last willing buyer settled on that 50% price. If I take any other perspective, I am being that ostrich with my head stuck in the sand.

I dunno. In the markets I'm aware of, the short sales and foreclosures are the absolute low benchmarks but other properties in the areas are still selling higher than those. I understand what you're saying about the lows affecting the overall markets (it's a point made upthread by others, as well) so that all prices are depressed by the existence of short sale and foreclosure offerings, but I don't understand that you would value every property in a market as only equal to the absolute low. If that was the case then there wouldn't be price differences in any market!

It might not be necessary to understand the circumstances that led to the absolute low, but it is necessary IMO to understand that not all similar properties will sell for that low. There are too many variables, some having nothing to do with the property itself and everything to do with intangibles, to make a blanket statement that the absolute low is the market price, period. Just like my preference to not deal through eBay, some folks might not want the hassles involved in a short sale or foreclosure and will happily pay more for a speedier transaction with fewer hassles.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are too many variables, some having nothing to do with the property itself and everything to do with intangibles, to make a blanket statement that the absolute low is the market price, period. Just like my preference to not deal through eBay, some folks might not want the hassles involved in a short sale or foreclosure and will happily pay more for a speedier transaction with fewer hassles.

But those people are the exception, not the rule...If there are more shortsales/foreclosures in a market then there are regular sales, then Yes, the shortsales/foreclosures are the market price...It has nothing to do with the actual dollar in situations like this, it has to do with the quantity sold

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are we getting off the subject here ?

The OP was about what this UK based reseller (agent) was doing using EBAY with unrealistic prices.

Well the fact is that he /she or they are UK based so it is probably a reasonable assumption that the owners looking to sell are UK based owners.

None of his EBAY listings are auctions - all are Buy It Now with a make me an offer option on many but not all.

Having looked at a few of the listings - any offers are always rejected.

He is clearly not a PCC trying to offload inventory that he/she has already scammed someone over with an upfront fee (something that is getting a lot of consumer protection interest in the UK now).

The prices are clearly set by the owners. Are some of them unrealistic? Well yes some of them clearly are unrealistic. But if the owners were desperate to sell then prices would be reduced and offers might be accepted.

Is £24,500 ($37,000) unrealistic for a Plat 2 bed week Crystal Shores unrealistic - probably but who knows - it is on the UK EBAY site as a buy it now with a make an offer option. See listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marriotts...s_Travel_Accommodation_ET&hash=item336f3a92bd

However I doubt anyone in the USA is going to consider buying that week either at that price or from a UK based agent - likewise I would not buy a week at a Marriott in Europe from a seller on EBAY in the USA at any price.

BUT the big question is why is he/she doing this at these prices - well I think he/she has achieved their objective - we are all talking about it and the inventory and prices are all out there in Cyberspace.

Do they expect to sell any of these weeks - I would say no. However if someone did buy or make a close offer then they would probably do the deal outside EBAY anyway.

My experience with another UK reseller/agent was very much in this line. Lots of weeks at the resort I was interested in offered as Buy It Now on EBAY UK with a Make an Offer option. All my low ball offers were being rejected so I went to his own corporate WEB site and called them on the number listed. I also did my due diligence in researching the company to ensure that it was not a scam operation.

After many months of me making offers and owners rejecting them we arrived at a point where he had an owner willing to take what I was prepared to offer.

Both weeks were being sold out of the estate of deceased owners and so negotiations took a while but in the end I got my weeks at a price I was happy to pay - about 20% of Marriott developer prices at the time. In fact MVCI are now offering to buy back weeks at Son Antem for about what I paid for my resales so I guess I got the prices right.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Marriotts? Ah, just realized this wasn't in the general section, i'd say Ebay has the largest inventory of combined TS's....You're right though, i'm not sure on a Marriott specific cases

Remember that developers are still the largest source of all timeshare sales, does that make their prices the market price? Using your logic, the answer is yes.

While Ebay may be the largest source for sales, it probably only holds a single digit number when it comes to market share. They would probably be lucky to be 10% of all resales transactions that are completed in a given day. Consider all of the other sources; private sale, brokers, developer resale departments, other listing websites. The problem is that you haven't taken the time to research and look in to the other sources of resales. You don't back up any of your claims with real data or facts, just assumptions. They are not as visible as Ebay but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Foreclosures are not the market, these are distressed properties sold to a limited market, no different than distressed timeshare owners. A foreclosure is all about a quick sale.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaBoy
... Viewing EBay as the "market price" is similar to viewing foreclosures as the "market price" in the single family housing market. It affects prices but is not the whole story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxide45
... When you look at the housing market, the market isn't ONLY the forclosed homes, there are other comps to look at. Now the forclosed homes do bring down overall values, but those are far from being THE market.

Very interesting correlation, I like it!

Holly crap! BocaBoy and I actually agree on someting???:eek: