• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lock offs

wyannuzzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour ;

Marriott Grande Vista 3 bedroom EOY
I posted this under buying section with minimal response. Hoping to get more info in this section.

I am considering buying a Grande Vista EOY 2 bedroom lock off unit and don't fully understand how the lock off works. Is there any documentation on TUG on this (and yes I did search)? Some of the questions I have are:

1) If I reserve the 2 bedroom and then deposit it in II does II create 2 deposits, a studio and a 1 bedroom, does it deposit as a 2 bedroom or is that something I choose when depositing?

2) If I deposit it as a 1 bedroom and a studio, is it possible to trade up either to a 2 bedroom?

I am sure there are other questions I should also be asking, but that is all I can think of now. Hoping there is documentation on TUG that would cover those and any other questions I may have.

Also, this unit is a member of the Florida Club, does this have any affect on using II?

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted this under buying section with minimal response. Hoping to get more info in this section.

I am considering buying a Grande Vista EOY 2 bedroom lock off unit and don't fully understand how the lock off works. Is there any documentation on TUG on this (and yes I did search)? Some of the questions I have are:

1) If I reserve the 2 bedroom and then deposit it in II does II create 2 deposits, a studio and a 1 bedroom, does it deposit as a 2 bedroom or is that something I choose when depositing?

2) If I deposit it as a 1 bedroom and a studio, is it possible to trade up either to a 2 bedroom?

I am sure there are other questions I should also be asking, but that is all I can think of now. Hoping there is documentation on TUG that would cover those and any other questions I may have.

Also, this unit is a member of the Florida Club, does this have any affect on using II?

Here's what I know:

If you deposit a 2 bedroom in II, it is 1 deposit. If you want 2 deposits in II, you need to pay the lock-off fee to Marriott ($75) and then deposit both units into II.

It's always possible to trade a studio and a 1 bedroom for 2, 2 bedroom units, but it does depend on: 1) the date you have reserved for your units (the more desirable the reservation, the better your chance for an up trade), and 2) where you want to trade to and when. I made my first exchange back in July. I exchanged a Jan. 2012, 1 bedroom Shadow Ridge Enclaves unit for a 3 bedroom Jan. 2012 Grande Vista unit. I don't know how this trade compares to the "professionals" here on TUG, but it was what I wanted am I'm very happy with my trade.

I know nothing about the Florida Club. I'm sure someone else will chime in!

Cheers!

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Here's what I know:

If you deposit a 2 bedroom in II, it is 1 deposit. If you want 2 deposits in II, you need to pay the lock-off fee to Marriott ($75) and then deposit both units into II.

Cheers!

I just split one today...the fee is now $80. Crooks!

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I wouldn't buy in Orlando as there are too many TS there so its easy to trade into. Plus you and kids will eventually tire of Mickey. Better, IMO is a beach location...in Marriott that means Beachplace or Ocean Pointe...very different resorts as one is quite isolated and the other is in a high active urban centre where you don't need a car.

Lockoffs are great. You can turn one week into two for $80...staying in a studio one week and the 1 bdrm side for another week...even at different times of the platinum year. You can deposit one or both parts into Interval for future trades. If you request resorts that only have 2 bdrm suites (like Hilton Head) you could end up with two trades into larger suites and might get a bonus week AC for another trade for $299. II often gives a bonus week for one and two bdrm suites but if they didn't I wouldn't give them your units.

For me the Florida club has been useless if you want prime time as you can't book a FC week until 6 months before and te prime weeks are long gone. If you have holiday flexibility you can get amazing trades with lock offs.

Brian

Last edited:

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just split one today...the fee is now $80. Crooks!

Agree! It sucks that they don't tell you about it until you lock off. I have not seen anything on the web site about the increase. I do wonder what the actual costs are to Marriott for owners to lock off. It can't be too much of an imposition. Seems to me it is a convenience fee that they tack on to help the bottom line.

Cheers!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Agree! It sucks that they don't tell you about it until you lock off. I have not seen anything on the web site about the increase. I do wonder what the actual costs are to Marriott for owners to lock off. It can't be too much of an imposition. Seems to me it is a convenience fee that they tack on to help the bottom line.

Cheers!

It is my understanding that Marriott doesn't make any money off the lock off fee. That fee is actually passed back to the HOA to cover the additional housekeeping and other expenses associated with locking off a unit.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that Marriott doesn't make any money off the lock off fee. That fee is actually passed back to the HOA to cover the additional housekeeping and other expenses associated with locking off a unit.

Thanks for the info. Had not thought of it that way. Still seems a bit pricey for housekeeping. What other expenses do they incur for an owner to lock off? Not a challenge. Just asking to be better informed. :hi:

Cheers!

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score

Although that may be, the logic behind it doesn't make sense. Both the 1BR and the studio need to be cleaned once. Whether it is at the same time or at different times, it takes the same amount of time, labor and money.

Starwood doesn't charge a fee like this...

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear poster,

We own a Marriott 2 bedroom lock-off and we love it! TUG taught me how to get more bang for my buck and usually we lock off our unit and deposit both parts into II. I usually am able to trade our studio for a large one bedroom at a particular resort we like and I try and trade our one bedroom for a two bedroom, which has happened most times I have tried. For example, if I am trading into a resort that has only two bedroom units (no one bedroom or studio units, Marriott Newport Coast being one example), no matter what size unit I'm using, if they have availability for when I want to go, I get a two bedroom unit! People use lock-offs to stay at Newport Villas all the time in off season. I've used my one-bedroom before but not my studio. Last time we stayed at Shadow Ridge I used my one bedroom to trade into a 2 bedroom. They just happened to have a 2 bedroom available at the time I was looking to go.

Some of it's luck but a lot is also strategy and knowing all the little tricks. You asking lots of questions on TUG and reading related threads is exactly how I learned to maximize our ownership.

Best of luck!
Janna

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should only buy Grande Vistan if you really want to go there often.

If it is only for exchanging through II, a Marriott Willow Ridge Lodge, Branson, MO is way cheaper in upfront cost and a little cheaper in annual maintenance fee and it gives you roughly the same value in II.

All owners at Willow Ridge can reserva alockoff on a first come basis. No need for the deeded unit matching a lockoff room.

There is currently a EOY Platinum on eBay that will probably go for few $100 plus closing.

When you lock off for $80 you get two separate reservation numbers from Marriott and can deposit two independent reservations into II.

Florida Club does not affect using II. It is just another route / cheaper option than II if you want to exchange for some Florida resorts.

wyannuzzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour ;

Marriott Grande Vista 3 bedroom EOY
Thanks everyone for the wealth of info. I knew I could count on tug members for assistance.

Cobra1950

Reaction score
All good responses. We own two Summittwatch weeks that are 2br lockoffs and always split them up when depositing them, we almost always get bigger units in trades.:wave:

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why there continues to be a bias against Orlando and Vegas. The timeshare market in those cities as mentioned, is saturated. However, the facts don't warrant the conclusions that are made. There are solid reasons for buying either of them.

It is true that there has been overbuilding in those two cities. That may be a factor in selling that will work against you but it should work for you when you purchase a unit. Most timeshare resale markets have collapsed due to the recession and other factors. Orlando and Vegas are no exceptions. They should not be singled out compared to everything else.

It makes no difference in those cities if there happens to be a lot of timeshares located there. Or, for that matter if there is a lot of non-Marriott supply on the market. You're probably not going to want to stay in them anyway if you're a Marriott owner. The other factor is that both Vegas and Orlando are huge convention cities. There are some weeks that experience 100% timeshare and hotel occupancy in both of those cities. (NASCAR week in Vegas) You can't say that about many other locations.

Buying a unit in a place where you don't want to vacation but the price is cheap and/or maintenance fees are cheap, is not the way to go IMO. You won't be happy because trading should be a secondary consideration. Vegas and Orlando will always be highly sought vacation destinations. You should take advantage of that.

The fact is that both Vegas and Orlando are very good traders. The reason for that IMO is that most trades are Marriott for Marriott and therefore the fact that other timeshares exist is irrelevant. I have traded Marriott for non-Marriott and have no problems with it. But, the market for Marriott trading is really with the other 400,000 Marriott owners, many of whom enjoy vacationing in Vegas or Orlando.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I'm not sure why there continues to be a bias against Orlando and Vegas. The timeshare market in those cities as mentioned, is saturated. However, the facts don't warrant the conclusions that are made. There are solid reasons for buying either of them.

It is true that there has been overbuilding in those two cities. That may be a factor in selling that will work against you but it should work for you when you purchase a unit. Most timeshare resale markets have collapsed due to the recession and other factors. Orlando and Vegas are no exceptions. They should not be singled out compared to everything else.

It makes no difference in those cities if there happens to be a lot of timeshares located there. Or, for that matter if there is a lot of non-Marriott supply on the market. You're probably not going to want to stay in them anyway if you're a Marriott owner. The other factor is that both Vegas and Orlando are huge convention cities. There are some weeks that experience 100% timeshare and hotel occupancy in both of those cities. (NASCAR week in Vegas) You can't say that about many other locations.

Buying a unit in a place where you don't want to vacation but the price is cheap and/or maintenance fees are cheap, is not the way to go IMO. You won't be happy because trading should be a secondary consideration. Vegas and Orlando will always be highly sought vacation destinations. You should take advantage of that.

The fact is that both Vegas and Orlando are very good traders. The reason for that IMO is that most trades are Marriott for Marriott and therefore the fact that other timeshares exist is irrelevant. I have traded Marriott for non-Marriott and have no problems with it. But, the market for Marriott trading is really with the other 400,000 Marriott owners, many of whom enjoy vacationing in Vegas or Orlando.

I agree 100%. We used to own Sabal Palms (bought pre-opening in 1987) and now we own a 3BR EOY unit in Las Vegas, which we normally lock off and trade. We have gotten great value from both. We sold Sabal Palms only because it is not a lockoff and MRP trades are not the great value for the amount of maintenance fees that they once were. A year ago we got a total of 4 weeks from our Vegas trade, including a 2BR unit at the Westin Kaanapali Resort Villas on Maui. If I could only own one week in the Marriott system, I would say that a Las Vegas 3BR is the best value of any. If we wanted to buy another week (which we do not) I would probably buy another 3BR week at Grand Chateau.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should only buy Grande Vistan if you really want to go there often.

If it is only for exchanging through II, a Marriott Willow Ridge Lodge, Branson, MO is way cheaper in upfront cost and a little cheaper in annual maintenance fee and it gives you roughly the same value in II.

All owners at Willow Ridge can reserva alockoff on a first come basis. No need for the deeded unit matching a lockoff room.

There is currently a EOY Platinum on eBay that will probably go for few $100 plus closing.

When you lock off for $80 you get two separate reservation numbers from Marriott and can deposit two independent reservations into II.

Florida Club does not affect using II. It is just another route / cheaper option than II if you want to exchange for some Florida resorts.

I saw two annual Willow Ridge Platinums go for $100 and $1. There is an EOY Platinum starting at $99.37 with $298 closing. It includes this years usage for free. I was going to bid on this one, but with Christmas and other year end expenses, I am going to pass. Personally, I have narrowed my search down to Willow Ridge, Vegas and Grande Vista.

Still looking for EOY and each has its advantages.

WR-lowest MF's,
Vegas-would use most often if we didn't trade,
GV-Florida Club/would use if we didn't trade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-2012-U...10794583589?pt=Timeshares&hash=item19cbdf2e25

Last edited:

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just rented my one studio at BeachPlace (Pres week) for $650 on eBay and another studio there for March Break for $720. Interesting that March got higher bids than President's week...both had reserves of $650. People with higher 'buy now' prices are still waiting for any bids.

Reason for renting was that both weeks got II replacements for a 1 bdrm and a 2 bdrm. I didn't put the 2012 studios up for rent on eBay until the exchanges came through (late this year!)...but didn't give the studios to II as I still have 3 studios to exchange with there.

Realistically priced rentals are renting on eBay.

Brian

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I saw two annual Willow Ridge Platinums go for $100 and $1. There is an EOY Platinum starting at $99.37 with $298 closing. It includes this years usage for free. I was going to bid on this one, but with Christmas and other year end expenses, I am going to pass. Personally, I have narrowed my search down to Willow Ridge, Vegas and Grande Vista.

Still looking for EOY and each has its advantages.

WR-lowest MF's,
Vegas-would use most often if we didn't trade,
GV-Florida Club/would use if we didn't trade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-2012-U...10794583589?pt=Timeshares&hash=item19cbdf2e25

I agree with, and have taken a similar approach as Bocaboy. What he has done in Vegas, we have done in Orlando. We own two 3BR Lock-Off units at Marriott Grande Vista (MGV). Through a combination of locking off, and leveraging the Short Stay benefit of II, we have been able to secure 24 nights usage (per unit) in a year's time. That's multiplying 14 nights work of MFs into 48 nights of accomodations with our two units. We use some of the nights in Orlando, and exchange other nights to other Marriott properties. While yes, you can get good non-Marriott exchanges - Royal Sea Aquarium, see you in October 2012 - I need the nights credit toward Lifetime Platinum status with Marriott Rewards, so I stay close to the fold with rare exceptions.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I agree with, and have taken a similar approach as Bocaboy. What he has done in Vegas, we have done in Orlando. We own two 3BR Lock-Off units at Marriott Grande Vista (MGV). Through a combination of locking off, and leveraging the Short Stay benefit of II, we have been able to secure 24 nights usage (per unit) in a year's time. That's multiplying 14 nights work of MFs into 48 nights of accommodations with our two units.
I agree that Grande Vista is excellent for this strategy. The only reason I think Vegas is even better is because the 3BR units there lock off into a 2BR and a 1BR (not a studio) so both halves can be deposited into II for ongoing searches for units larger than studios.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I find it hard to understand why anyone would want to stay in a timeshare in Las Vegas. When I go there, I prefer to stay in a mainline hotel with line of credits from the casino and sometimes comp rooms at Bellagio, Caesars and Wynn. Then I can just take an elevator to the tables...and the shows...and enjoy their huge pools!!

Brian

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to understand why anyone would want to stay in a timeshare in Las Vegas. When I go there, I prefer to stay in a mainline hotel with line of credits from the casino and sometimes comp rooms at Bellagio, Caesars and Wynn. Then I can just take an elevator to the tables...and the shows...and enjoy their huge pools!!

Brian

Depends who I go to Vegas with. If it is with my wife, I prefer to be removed from the casinos, drunkards and noise. HGVC on the Strip works well, nice pool and large rooms. When it is for a stag, boys weekend or marathon (and subsequent partying), the strip is fine. Closer to the action and I spend next to no time in the room or hotel.