• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rewards points missing

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
Wow, we just went into my Marriott Rewards account to use some points for a motel stay next week and found we are missing over 700K points. Of course it is after hours, so we have to wait until Monday to call.

When I go into my account I can see that my contact address, email and phone numbers have all been changed, and when we look at our account activity we can see multiple point withdrawals in Oct. YIKES!

Has anyone else had this happen?

I hate having to wait until Monday morning to do anything about this!!!!!

Steve

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wow, we just went into my Marriott Rewards account to use some points for a motel stay next week and found we are missing over 700K points. Of course it is after hours, so we have to wait until Monday to call.

When I go into my account I can see that my contact address, email and phone numbers have all been changed, and when we look at our account activity we can see multiple point withdrawals in Oct. YIKES!

Has anyone else had this happen?

I hate having to wait until Monday morning to do anything about this!!!!!

Steve

There was a similar story posted here a while back. Someone hijacked an account and used the points to purchase merchandise. Not sure what the resolution was on that.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There was a similar story posted here a while back. Someone hijacked an account and used the points to purchase merchandise. Not sure what the resolution was on that.

We can see that there were 10 withdrawal of points (via several different usage codes) ranging from 22K to 226K each.

Steve

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We can see that there were 10 withdrawal of points (via several different usage codes) ranging from 22K to 226K each.

Steve

What did the usage codes indicate? i.e. Hotel Stays? Conversion to Airline Miles? Purchase of merchandise from the magazine offerings?

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What did the usage codes indicate? i.e. Hotel Stays? Conversion to Airline Miles? Purchase of merchandise from the magazine offerings?

It didn't give 'descriptions' of activities, just 'codes', eg; 100k, 100v, 103c and 103v. It listed a code, then TRAVEL SERVICES AWARD, and then a negative quantity.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Boy, that is worrisome. Did you call in already and learn the offices were closed until Monday? If not, you might want to try the 1-800-468-4000 number for Marriott Rewards Customer Service. There must be at least a skeleton crew working off-hours for emergencies like this.

Here's the thread from when TUGger ilene13 had her account hacked in Oct '10. She had to fill out some paperwork but the fraud dept worked quickly and Marriott replenished her account within a week. Good luck, I hope you get the same resolution.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Boy, that is worrisome. Did you call in already and learn the offices were closed until Monday? If not, you might want to try the 1-800-468-4000 number for Marriott Rewards Customer Service. There must be at least a skeleton crew working off-hours for emergencies like this.

Here's the thread from when TUGger ilene13 had her account hacked in Oct '10. She had to fill out some paperwork but the fraud dept worked quickly and Marriott replenished her account within a week. Good luck, I hope you get the same resolution.

Thanks for the link, and oh yes, we called ASAP. We were forwarded about 3 times before being informed we had to wait until 7am Salt Lake City time on Monday ;-(

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, and oh yes, we called ASAP. We were forwarded about 3 times before being informed we had to wait until 7am Salt Lake City time on Monday ;-(

It happened to me last year with over 600000 points being taken. Pleas send me a PM and I'll call you. It all worked out and we got all our points back. I had immediate help with an on line representative on the Marriott Hotel website. Ilene

jazzeah

TUG Member
Reaction score
lost points

we lost more that 1 1/2 million points!!! I have been on hold with Marriott for 1 hr waiting. They are saying that someone requested a new userid and PW and I was never contacted about this. None of the info on my account is correct - not the address or phone number.

meanwhile they are saying it will take a long time to get it resolved - any ideas

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
we lost more that 1 1/2 million points!!! I have been on hold with Marriott for 1 hr waiting. They are saying that someone requested a new userid and PW and I was never contacted about this. None of the info on my account is correct - not the address or phone number.

meanwhile they are saying it will take a long time to get it resolved - any ideas

As I read this I too am on hold with Marriott...due to high call volume the recording says.

Good luck with yours! With our account the login ID and password were not changed, but the email address, mailing address and phone numbers were.

" We appreciate your patience. Please continue to hold and the next available representative will assist you." Hmmm, not sure I'm patient.

Ok, a live person...will report back.
Steve

jazzeah

TUG Member
Reaction score
In our case someone went crazy at the skymall and wiped out most of our points so we need to file a local police report and a federal fraud report AND send all that info to Marriott before we can even get a chance at getting our points back. I do not understand how an entire account can be hijacked with no contact to the main owner. meanwhile all my stays (just got back this w/e) and bonus pts are being placed in there - i earn the pts someone steals them. what a mess

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As I read this I too am on hold with Marriott...due to high call volume the recording says.

Good luck with yours! With our account the login ID and password were not changed, but the email address, mailing address and phone numbers were.

" We appreciate your patience. Please continue to hold and the next available representative will assist you." Hmmm, not sure I'm patient.

Ok, a live person...will report back.
Steve

Arrgh...so she put me on hold for a LONG time, then there was a click and the message, "We cannot complete your call as dialed." Now back on hold waiting for a live person.

Steve

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Arrgh...so she put me on hold for a LONG time, then there was a click and the message, "We cannot complete your call as dialed." Now back on hold waiting for a live person.

Steve

Jackie came on the line, took my information, looked through the account and said she would need to fax or mail us a form. I asked about changing my password as I didn't see how to do that on my profile page...and she put me on hold. Hope I'm not disconnected this time. :doh:

Steve

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge

Steve

Get call-back numbers in the event of disconnects when you first make contact.

Good luck in making the restoration of your points a painless process.

Ingrid

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
Just for grins I went online and changed my password at Marriott.com. Within 30 seconds I received an email alerting me of the change. I wonder what happened that neither of you received notification of the change to your account?

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Get call-back numbers in the event of disconnects when you first make contact.

Have you tried that? I did (always do) but they do not give out that information :mad:

Steve

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just for grins I went online and changed my password at Marriott.com. Within 30 seconds I received an email alerting me of the change. I wonder what happened that neither of you received notification of the change to your account?

For me the 'thief' did NOT change the password. He/she/it changed the email address and other contact information so the transaction records would be sent to them.

Over the phone I was asked to provide a new 4 digit pin (if you will) number and a security question that only I would know. She then changed back all my personal information and I changed the password.

Now I have to call the police dept., get a police report of the theft, and mail that back with the form she will send. Bother :annoyed:

Steve

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
For me the 'thief' did NOT change the password. He/she/it changed the email address and other contact information so the transaction records would be sent to them.

That is a serious security flaw. I went back and changed my email info and as you said, it went to the new one I provided and not to the old one to notify me that a change had been requested. I hope they tighten that up and soon.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
You have to wonder if these are inside jobs. Seems that those with very high MR balances are the targets. :ponder:

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called the sheriff's office and the dispatcher said I would get a call back. Guess what, when he called back I got officer Matt Dillon. He says he gets comments on his name daily :)

After taking the information he gave me a Log Entry Number to provide Marriott in case they need to contact them, "...which they NEVER do", he said.

Now we wait....

Steve

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score

That is new since mine were stolen last year. The thieves actually changed our email address, password, phone number, etc. Marriott never notified me. I now have double passwords and I have arranged that points cannot be used on line. I have to call and use another password.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is new since mine were stolen last year. The thieves actually changed our email address, password, phone number, etc. Marriott never notified me. I now have double passwords and I have arranged that points cannot be used on line. I have to call and use another password.

This is a real area of concern. To change any personal data you need to be logged on. To reset a password it should always be done online and a two or three step process should be in place. So - you click on the forgot my password link and then it asks for your email address - compares it to your registered email address and then sends the new password to that eMail address providing they match. If they do not match then a warning email should be sent to the account holder.

The level of security on a Marriott Reward Account access should be as high as that used for online banking. Someone with say a million MR points has a great deal of value in their account.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Have you tried that? I did (always do) but they do not give out that information :mad:

Steve

I request a call back number when I've been on hold forever and haven't been refused as of yet. I preface the request with the fact that I've been on hold 1/2 hour or so, so that they understand why I'm asking for the information. If I get through within a reasonable time, I don't bother.

Ingrid

jazzeah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our case was one where they changed, userid, PW, address and phone number. so I did not get any email telling me anything changed. I have no clue how they do this stuff w/o more questioning on Marriotts part. That being said, when we contacted Marriott to get things "reset" so it would be our information they did not ask for any proof at all. They just gave us a new pw. This concerns me.

As far as the status of the items, since i caught it quick enough they were able to recall all the merchandise that was purchased. We too had to file a police report. The policeman looked at us like we were idiots when we said we wanted to file a report on lost points. It took about 20 mins to convince him that there was any value to them to make it worth his time. We showed hm all the merchandise the hacker purchased and he got the idea.

This hacker brought 5 Apple 13" MacBookPro which retail for around 1200 each so that is 6000. And then they ordered an ipad and 4 HP mini notebooks. I guess that tells some of the value of 1 1/2 million points.

now we just wait to get our points back