• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OceanPointe Transportation

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'll be at OceanPointe this coming 4th of July week. Very excited. We are thinking about flying into West Palm Beach. We normally drive but we have an odd check-in day (friday) and we would have to take Thursday off work just to get there by Friday.

How does everyone who flys get to this resort? Do you rent a car? If so, where can I drop the car off at? We wouldn't want the car for the entire week as I get the impression this is a resort you really do not need to leave much.

Does the resort provide transportation? Is there good public transportation? There will be a lot of us traveling so if we did a taxi, it would take at least three of them so I was thinking renting a car and just using it to shuttle people back and forth from the resort the first day and using it to get supplies would be best. Just not sure if public transportation is so easy and good, there isn't really a need to rent a car.

Figure many tuggers fly to this resort and was wondering what everyone does regarding getting to the resort and getting around the town, if necessary. Thanks.

-Jim

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Hi Jim
Your going to love ocean pointe. It's a great resort. But unless you plan on spending the entire week at the beach and pool you may want to reconsider getting a car for the week. The resort is somewhat isolated except for a few shops and resturants nearby. And there is really no public transportation.I dont think the resort has any shuttles but i may be wrong. A car would enable you to take trips into West Palm, Jupiter, Delray, Boca, and even ft Lauderdale/Miami. I usually drive but I have rented a car a West Palm Beach airport a few times.
I'll be there over the holidy week (can't wait) and will look into any shuttles/public transportation that I may be unaware of.
Enjoy!

John

mwwich

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've traveled to this area several times (love Ocean Pointe) and we play West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami airports to get the lowest airfare. All are within decent driving distance of OP. Some may not like the 90 minute drive from Miami to OP (I think that was the travel time, been awhile), but if it saves $100/ticket for two people it's worth it to me .

That being said last time we visited PBI (West Palm Beach) was the cheapest ticket, and the resort is only 15-20 minutes away.

I would get a rental car, going to downtown West Palm Beach is fun to us and I don't want to take cab, would rather have my own car.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Are there any rental car places near the resort that would drop me back off after returning the car? Renting a car from the airport is no problem. I have done that before from West Palm Beach airport, but I'm not sure I need the car for the entire week and was wondering if the Marriott hotel has a car rental place or if there was a car rental company close to the resort. Probably keeping the car for the entire week would be best, but I wanted to ask everyone first.

Can't wait for this trip! Do they still have a water taxi to/from the resort? If so, where does it take you? Thanks.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know how you got the idea that you would not need a car. There is hardly anything within walking distance of the resort. You need a car to get to restaurants and even the grocery store. Unless you intend to spend the entire week on the beach you definiteky need a car. THere is no public transportation or water taxi from the resort.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a water taxi at the marina, then -- at least I think there is or was.

I also think there is a small strip of stores within walking distance? Didn't know about there being no public transportation, but that definately makes sense.

Was thinking of mostly staying at the resort, yes, but we are car people and enjoy exploring so I think we will need a car for the entire week. Just thought if there was enough to do around the resort and there was easy transportation, we might get away with only needing the car on check-in and then check-out.

Thanks, everyone. Am I reading old posts from tripadvisor about there being a water taxi at the marina? Is it still there and if so, where does it take you. Sounds like a really neat idea -- and I guess you can take a boat to some kind of snorkeling area from the marina?

Don't know how you got the idea that you would not need a car. There is hardly anything within walking distance of the resort. You need a car to get to restaurants and even the grocery store. Unless you intend to spend the entire week on the beach you definiteky need a car. THere is no public transportation or water taxi from the resort.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'll be at OceanPointe this coming 4th of July week. Very excited. We are thinking about flying into West Palm Beach. We normally drive but we have an odd check-in day (friday) and we would have to take Thursday off work just to get there by Friday.

How does everyone who flys get to this resort? Do you rent a car? If so, where can I drop the car off at? We wouldn't want the car for the entire week as I get the impression this is a resort you really do not need to leave much.

Does the resort provide transportation? Is there good public transportation? There will be a lot of us traveling so if we did a taxi, it would take at least three of them so I was thinking renting a car and just using it to shuttle people back and forth from the resort the first day and using it to get supplies would be best. Just not sure if public transportation is so easy and good, there isn't really a need to rent a car.

Figure many tuggers fly to this resort and was wondering what everyone does regarding getting to the resort and getting around the town, if necessary. Thanks.

-Jim

Clearly the easiest and fastest way to Ocean Pointe from the airport is via a direct ride or rental car.

The cheapest way to get to Ocean Pointe from the airport is Public Transportation, and yes, it does exist. Been there, done that. It's not fast.

The bus leaves right from the airport, however you need to make two connections in order to get over to Ocean Pointe. And yes, it does stop directly in front of the resort (not too far from the front entrance) at the marked bus stops.

This is not something to do late at night because of making the connections, however I wouldn't hesitate doing it during the morning or afternoon, and have in fact done it on multiple occasions.

One thing you don't want to do is rent a car at the airport location. They really tuck it to you in daily taxes (as most car rental places do when located at or near an airport) :crash:

Enjoy your stay.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always rent a car at the airport and return it to the airport car rental drop off parking lot where we picked it up. I prefer National car rental. Upon arrival @ PBI, we take the National shuttle from the airport to the National car rental pickup lot. It's only about a 5 minute shuttle ride. We always use National Emerald Aisle so you just grab the keys and go. When we leave the National car rental lot, I turn right, then quick right again @ Congress. Go all the way to Blue Heron (about 15 minutes). Then right on Blue Heron. Then Right onto Lake Drive. Left on Tacoma & that takes you to Ocean Pointe. It's only about 20-25 minutes from PBI.

The water taxi service from Sailfish Marina has been sporadic in the past couple of years.

PM me if you have any specific questions about Ocean Pointe as we own 2 weeks there & we visit frequently. Ocean Pointe is a great resort & you are going to love it!

Smooth Air:cool:

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Orlando

We actually ended up flying into Orlando after we discovered a super cheap (as in $29 on Allegiant Air) airfare. Rented the car and drove the rest of the way ... about three hours if I recall.

Then spent the next weekend in Orlando (at the Marriott of course).

I ALWAYS use Priceline to bid on rental cars in Orlando... and usually get the car between $17-$19 per day (full size).

Davidr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go to OP every year and you really do need a car. There are only a handful of restaurants within walking distance. I guess if you make some meals in the room and ate at every restaurant that's within walking distance you could do without a car.

When we were there this summer they had discontinued the walker taxi to Clematis St. I think it was due to issues docking in WPB.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score

-Jim

Absolutely everywhere we go, we rent a car. Even if the place itself is Heaven on Earth - we get antsy. And - we also use a lot of those restaurant.com certificates - so you gotta drive. Most places we go, we are also on the lookout for an opera or symphony concert (unless we are in the cringe-worthy boonies - the East Overshoe Philharmonic and Tractor Pull is not our idea of a good time . . ), a microbrewery tour/tasting (allergic to sulfites in most wine), or a minor-league baseball team. We have even dismissed the idea of going to one of those all-inclusive places where you CANNOT leave - we would be pacing and clawing NO WAY OUT!!! like Gene Wilder. Found some of the nicest things by driving - although we will NOT drive over 400 miles a day for a vacation - that is our cutoff.

We just accept the rental cost and the parking fees as a cost of doing business. we also drive our own car to off-site airport parking like Avistar - some tings just cost what they cost, and those of us who travel all choose where to spend and where to save.