• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval Travel Demand

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Why is it that II has a relatively low travel index in Texas for weeks 51 and 52 respectively-San Antonio 85 and 95; South Padre and Galveston both 70 and 75, yet exchanges and getaways are next to impossible to get? Yes, I know the rhetoric from the folks at II saying that these are holiday weeks however so many other properties have a very high travel index for these weeks (i.e. Vegas is 120 and 135, Southern California is 100 and 110 for weeks 51 and 52 respectively). The same Vail fixed Thanksgiving week I'm trying to trade for Texas has easily traded into Marriott Grand Chateau in Vegas twice for New Years week 52 and twice to Marriott Maui Ocean Club so it does have some pulling power. Does anyone have any explanation as to why the travel demand index does not reflect this. Also, does anyone want to give any insight whether or not my trade will eventually come through? I will be in Austin anyway so even a last minute confirmation will work for us.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I think the TDI is more relative than anything else. Demand might be lower but, if owners are using those weeks then they're not available regardless of demand. I always try to keep mind (at least this is what I believe) that the TDI only relects demand and not supply and demand.

Orlando is my "for instance" comparison. Demand might be very high at times but so is supply, thus Orlando is rarely an impossible exchange to get if you're not terribly particular about the resort. Santa Fe would be another example. Demand might not be as high but, there's not a lot of supply from which to choose. Thus one might have a lower TDI but, because there's fewer units to exchange into, the lower TDI might actually be the tougher exchange.

TDI is also relative to the area and not specific resorts. If you're trying to exchange into the top resorts for an area, even if it has a very low TDI and the area has a ton of timeshare developements, you could still have a tough time getting the exchange. It would be interesting to see the demand for each individual resort. I'm relatively certain that some resorts have much higher demand than others. Location, name brand, reputation et.....should all play a part in how popular and in demand specific resorts are compared to others in the same area.

Last edited:

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
The same Vail fixed Thanksgiving week I'm trying to trade for Texas has easily traded into Marriott Grand Chateau in Vegas twice for New Years week 52 and twice to Marriott Maui Ocean Club so it does have some pulling power. Does anyone have any explanation as to why the travel demand index does not reflect this. Also, does anyone want to give any insight whether or not my trade will eventually come through? I will be in Austin anyway so even a last minute confirmation will work for us.

As Doug noted, the TDI is specific to each area - it doesn't imply anything comparative across areas.

I suspect that there are two factors working here against your odds: one is that there are relatively few resorts in Texas in II as it is, and the second is that many of them may be filtered out for you by the II quality filter altogether.