• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SFX Bonus weeks are really rentals in disguise

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
So I have been trying to figure out what I think of SFX bonus weeks and I am starting to conclude "Not much."

Firstly, there are now upgrade fees for almost all the decent inventory: $300 per week for New York, London, San Francisco or Europe. $100 per week for Hawaii. $500 per week for a Grand Mayan or Grand Luxxe, $200 for a holiday week.

Second, there are so many different prices for the new "Lifestyle Weeks" that it takes some real ciphering to figure out what a week would cost you. Then you get a Cash Card discount that allows you to take varying amounts off of different types of reservations.

Third, there is my experience of today in which the price for a bonus week displayed during an online search was "incorrect" according to the rep I spoke with when I had a question about which Cash Card discounts apply. The "real" price was $200 more than the displayed price, I was told. What would have happened if I had booked the week at the online price? They would have cancelled my bonus week booking if/when they caught it and I were unwilling to pay the extra $200!

So if we add up the cost of an SFX bonus week, say to the Wyndham Mauna Loa for a 1BR unit for Thanksgiving 2012: $500 for the bonus week $(600 in the new Lifestyle Week program), $100 for the Hawaii upgrade, $200 for the holiday week upgrade. Total $800-$900 per week, which is about the going rate on RedWeek.

I would not say there is zero value in the SFX bonus weeks, but more that I would not consider them a strong inducement to depositing with SFX. Because of my work schedule, I must book travel well in advance, so I can't take advantage of the last-minute aspect of the bonus weeks, which is a better value. As a Hyatt owner, I get an automatic uptrade with II deposits, so in regards to the original exchange II beats SFX hands down and has much more inventory and more high quality resorts.

Is there something I'm missing here, or do other TUGGERs feel similarly about these bonus weeks?

H

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience with SFX is limited but I am not a fan. When I think of a bonus week it is the cost of the exchange fee only as with interval, tpi etc.

I have only deposited with SFX once and the "bonus" went to waste. I agree their bonus weeks are priced more like getaways from other companies where no deposit is required just membership as with II

cruisin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Compared to rci extra vacations, SFX bonus weeks 6 months and out farther are a good deal. I have seen nothing in RCI for some of the high demand places in SFX at nearly as good a price, its like anything, just take the best deal, a lot of times for me, sfx has been the best deal, other exchanges are super cheap, especially for the last minute stuff, but I like to plan more than a month or two out. I have found it harder to get the really cheap last minute weeks in rci, the flex period on RCI used to be killer, not anymore, ACs on II used to work for everything in flex, not anymore, actually it looks like SFX is lowering its last minute stuff, at least they seem to be going in the right direction?

All bonus weeks from any company are rentals, any non exchange is a rental.
Bonus weeks=getaways=Extra vacations=Last call

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Compared to rci extra vacations, SFX bonus weeks 6 months and out farther are a good deal. I have seen nothing in RCI for some of the high demand places in SFX at nearly as good a price, its like anything, just take the best deal, a lot of times for me, sfx has been the best deal, other exchanges are super cheap, especially for the last minute stuff, but I like to plan more than a month or two out. I have found it harder to get the really cheap last minute weeks in rci, the flex period on RCI used to be killer, not anymore, ACs on II used to work for everything in flex, not anymore, actually it looks like SFX is lowering its last minute stuff, at least they seem to be going in the right direction?

All bonus weeks from any company are rentals, any non exchange is a rental.
Bonus weeks=getaways=Extra vacations=Last call

So are you saying RCI Extra Vacations cost around $800-900/week as well?

I never really searched II Getaways much, but this thread got me looking. Definitely II's prices are comparable to SFX's. It's just as a Hyatt owner, I will always be associated with II as part of my dues. I pay additional money to be associated with SFX. In part I was willing to deposit with them because my one deposit would yield 2 or more bonus weeks. Now I am coming to realize that mostly they are convincing them to join their exchange program because of: 1 their "upscale" inventory (sorry with this I do not agree) and 2. because they are giving me these great bonus weeks (ie rentals I could maybe get through II or other venues).

So why even use SFX? Well, I would say depending on the deposit I make, it might be the cheapest was to book a Grand Mayan or London property. So far I have had great luck making private trades into NYC and there are great Starwood hotel option to give me 100% free stays in London or SF. But the bonus weeks are all smoke and mirrors, IMO. It sound like some of y'all already knew that, I am two steps behind the curve.

The one truly good value is the II XYZ week, just the exchange fee, off season, no holiday, 4-6 month-out booking timeframe, but some really nice options. I have XYZed (for $170ish each) into Marriotts Grand Chateau, Marriotts Desert Springs Villas, Westin Kierland and Planet Hollywood. These weeks are cheap enough to be long weekends for me, a good value while they last.

H

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have Bonus weeks from SFX. I have the Lifestyles Weeks. This is what I got so far in exchange for my one week WM Birch Bay (holiday week).

My exchange was for a 2 bedroom Wyndham Kona resort, holiday week, $149.

I have 5 weeks of Lifestyles weeks from my one exchange. I've used these:

One bedroom in Del Mar, CA $149. (less than 30 day booking)
One bedroom in NYC $598. (approx 60 day booking)
One bedroom Anaheim, CA $399. (approx 5 month booking)- holiday week.

I still have 2 more Lifestyle weeks that I can book in the next year.

I do look at the Lifestyle weeks as rental weeks. I'm not sure how I could ever rent weeks at the prices that I am paying for the Lifestyle weeks. So, I am not sure what their Bonus week program is like, but I highly recommend depositing with them for the Lifestyle weeks.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
heathpack, I totally agree that you should stay away, far away, from SFX and their various forms of bonus weeks. It will leave more of the good deals and great choices for the rest of us! :D

beach_bumz

TUG Member
Reaction score
heathpack, I totally agree that you should stay away, far away, from SFX and their various forms of bonus weeks. It will leave more of the good deals and great choices for the rest of us! :D

:) I love SFX and use every single bonus week, and now my FIVE lifestyle weeks every year. I just gave them two more deposits and will use all ten lifestyle weeks within the next 18 months, in Puerto Vallarta, Cabo and New York.

Even with the upgrade fees, they're still a great value and less expensive than most rentals.

JuliGee

Reaction score
My experience with SFX is limited but I am not a fan. When I think of a bonus week it is the cost of the exchange fee only as with interval, tpi etc.

I have only deposited with SFX once and the "bonus" went to waste. I agree their bonus weeks are priced more like getaways from other companies where no deposit is required just membership as with II

We have memberships with RCI, II and SFX, and couldn't disagree with you more. We use our less desirable weeks with RCI and II, and use our best timeshares with SFX. Our experience with SFX is extensive as we travel a lot, and have used them for several years now.

SFX has their Sell-off weeks listed on their site and you don't have to deposit a week, you can just rent them. You still need to be a member though just like RCI and II. They are usually within 2-3 months out, and have booked several of them this year for anywhere between $100 - $300 for a week.

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Highlands Inn in Carmel. I got that for $299 for the week. Unfortunately we checked out early because we thought the property was not that great. We nearly booked a week off their list for Paris for Dec 15. That is only about $150 for the week.

Their new life styles weeks which replaced their previous bonus week program we find very attractive, because it allows us to choose a week like an exchange instead of having to take what ever is available at that moment. I don't think RCI or II lets you do that? Those weeks start at $69 for a week, but you can request what you want as far ahead as one year, and for us, that makes a huge difference. It does't take a genius to figure out that all non-exchange bookings are rentals. Can't figure out what the "disguise" is.

When I login to my II account, I have seen a number of good deals on short term availability and in the off season. But I have never seen good quality weeks for around $300-$500 6-12 months in advance like with SFX. So for us, and a number of friends we have recommended SFX to, they are great for us. Like I always say, it's whatever works for you.

Juli

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
II Getaways Available right now:
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta $577/week studio, $827 1BR
Westin Lagunamar $457/week studio
Royal Haciendas $280/wk, studio
Royal Sands $450/wk studio, $700/wk 1BR
Club Casa Dorado at Mendano Beach, $477/wk, studio
Westin Kierland $400/wk 1BR
Village at St James Club, Antigua $600/wk 2BR
Royal Sea Aquarium $750/wk 2BR
Welk Villas, Escondido $550/wk 2BR
Marriotts Desert Springs Villas $550/wk 2BR
Westin Mission Hills, $520/wk, 1BR
Marriotts Grand Vista Orlando, $350 2BR
Marriotts Village Ile de France, $477 2BR, $577 3BR
Marriotts Mai Kao Beach Resort, 750/2BR

This is just a sampling. With the exception of the French weeks, none of these are last minute weeks, all are bookable months in advance. I offer this not to be argumentative, but just to point out that there seem (to me, anyway) to be some really good getaway stuff.

The thing that I feel about the SFX bonus weeks being "disguised" rentals is that II calls their getaways rentals. SFX does not do the same with their bonus weeks, they "sell" them to their prospective customers as a great bonus but frequently you can get similar value without depositing anywhere.

Totally to each his own on this. I know some people LOVE SFX. So far, I am not totally feeling the love.

H

We have memberships with RCI, II and SFX, and couldn't disagree with you more. We use our less desirable weeks with RCI and II, and use our best timeshares with SFX. Our experience with SFX is extensive as we travel a lot, and have used them for several years now.

SFX has their Sell-off weeks listed on their site and you don't have to deposit a week, you can just rent them. You still need to be a member though just like RCI and II. They are usually within 2-3 months out, and have booked several of them this year for anywhere between $100 - $300 for a week.

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Highlands Inn in Carmel. I got that for $299 for the week. Unfortunately we checked out early because we thought the property was not that great. We nearly booked a week off their list for Paris for Dec 15. That is only about $150 for the week.

Their new life styles weeks which replaced their previous bonus week program we find very attractive, because it allows us to choose a week like an exchange instead of having to take what ever is available at that moment. I don't think RCI or II lets you do that? Those weeks start at $69 for a week, but you can request what you want as far ahead as one year, and for us, that makes a huge difference. It does't take a genius to figure out that all non-exchange bookings are rentals. Can't figure out what the "disguise" is.

When I login to my II account, I have seen a number of good deals on short term availability and in the off season. But I have never seen good quality weeks for around $300-$500 6-12 months in advance like with SFX. So for us, and a number of friends we have recommended SFX to, they are great for us. Like I always say, it's whatever works for you.

Juli

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
. I have the Lifestyles Weeks. ...................

I have 5 weeks of Lifestyles weeks from my one exchange.

:) I love SFX and use every single bonus week, and now my FIVE lifestyle weeks every year. I just gave them two more deposits and will use all ten lifestyle weeks within the next 18 months, in Puerto Vallarta, Cabo and New York.

How do you guys get 5 lifestyle weeks?:confused:
Can you share how the Lifestyle weeks work? :D

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

A Lifestyle Week is the new name for a bonus week. The difference is that there is now a sliding scale for cost- the shorter the timeframe to the check in date and the smaller the unit, the cheaper the week. Weeks booked with check in dates <6 months ahead are cheaper than before (for <30 day reservations, WAY cheaper), weeks with check in dates >6 months out are now more expensive. There are also more upgrade fees now for specific locations, resorts, and weeks.

Right now SFX has a deposit special. If you deposit a prime season 1BR unit, you get 5 lifestyle weeks. High season, 4 lifestyle weeks. Etc.

H

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you aren't already a member of SFX, you can call them and tell them which properties you own. Gold membership is free. Once you have an account and your TS are listed in your profile, you will be able to use their wiget to see what your deposit offers are.

For example, I got 5 Lifestyle weeks for WMBirch bay, but only 3 for Capistrano Surfside Inn, even though both were Prime time deposits. So, resort quality does have some bearing. In fact, I looked at depositing WM Oceanside and it hardly offered me anything compared to the others. It must be a crap resort.

The current deposit special ends in a few weeks. I have a feeling Lifestyle weeks are here to stay, based on conversations I have had with the reps. Oh, and we also get vacation card credit with the deposit. That gives various discounts, which is why my exchange week in Kona was so cheap, even with paying extra for insurance.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
A Lifestyle Week is the new name for a bonus week. The difference is that there is now a sliding scale for cost- the shorter the timeframe to the check in date and the smaller the unit, the cheaper the week. Weeks booked with check in dates <6 months ahead are cheaper than before (for <30 day reservations, WAY cheaper), weeks with check in dates >6 months out are now more expensive. There are also more upgrade fees now for specific locations, resorts, and weeks.

Right now SFX has a deposit special. If you deposit a prime season 1BR unit, you get 5 lifestyle weeks. High season, 4 lifestyle weeks. Etc.

H

Thanks.

If you aren't already a member of SFX, you can call them and tell them which properties you own. Gold membership is free. Once you have an account and your TS are listed in your profile, you will be able to use their wiget to see what your deposit offers are.

For example, I got 5 Lifestyle weeks for WMBirch bay, but only 3 for Capistrano Surfside Inn, even though both were Prime time deposits. So, resort quality does have some bearing. In fact, I looked at depositing WM Oceanside and it hardly offered me anything compared to the others. It must be a crap resort.

The current deposit special ends in a few weeks. I have a feeling Lifestyle weeks are here to stay, based on conversations I have had with the reps. Oh, and we also get vacation card credit with the deposit. That gives various discounts, which is why my exchange week in Kona was so cheap, even with paying extra for insurance.

I do have a gold account. I can't search anything with it though.:rolleyes:
I got it with my HGVC points but it doesn't list that as anything that can be searched against. I have asked them about what I could deposit and they do take some Wyndham and DVC as well but none of my other weeks.
I guess CMV doesn't rate. ;)

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do have a gold account. I can't search anything with it though.:rolleyes:
I got it with my HGVC points but it doesn't list that as anything that can be searched against. I have asked them about what I could deposit and they do take some Wyndham and DVC as well but none of my other weeks.
I guess CMV doesn't rate. ;)

For the points systems, you have to tell them the name of resorts to be added to your profile. Then, you can click on those on the widget to see what your deposit offer is. For example, I gave them names of 2 WM properties. I will be adding more, now that I read that they always need SF deposits and that Vancouver is also high demand.

For DVC points, I only added my home resort. Looks like I won't ever deposit DVC, though. They wouldn't want a studio and I don't have enough yearly points to book a full week in a one bedroom. :annoyed: Since my MFs are close to $1100/year, I don't want to bank/borrow for a deposit.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
What about posting misinformation on the www damaging a company's reputation?

There is no misinformation.

I have posted facts here about the cost of SFX bonus weeks, costs which are copied directly from their website.

I have compared them to II's Getaway (rental) costs and have concluded for my usage (booking out greater than 6 months), the costs are comparable. Therefore, for my usage the SFX weeks are basically rentals and not a deposit-inducement. My conclusion is that one should deposit with SFX for sure if the underlying deposit makes sense. Obviously everyone should read any discussion they can find on bonus weeks and decide their value on their own.

I do state that weeks booked <6 months out are a much better deal.

If I were an exchange company reading this board, I would love to hear as many different opinions as possible reflecting different tastes, opinions, usage patterns, etc as possible. It would help me to fine tune my product. I would not post a petulant oblique reply elsewhere on the Internet accusing someone who is obviously a customer of falsehood. Just one opinion.

I am completely happy for EVERYONE here who finds great value working with SFX. Based on what I read here I joined at Platinum level. Since then I posted sightings, discussed strategies for using SFX, and currently have an exchange with them. However, when I search their resort directory, I do not find much that appeals to me that would not be subject to an upgrade fee when I use a bonus week. I have called and had some suggestions that when I later researched were not resorts where I'd want to stay. I think the point of a discussion forum is for people to relate their experiences. So far my experience with the bonus week program has not been good. And my further experience with the absurd over-yonder post has also not been good.

So this post should be used as it was intended- as food for thought for those trying to decide what to make of the SFX bonus program. To say there is misinformation posted is simply not accurate.

H

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
SFX works for some but not for others

I think Mark's response was a bit out of line considering what the OP posted here. The OP stated that the tiered pricing and added fees for some locations and upgraded sizes were confusing and that he didn't see much value in the bonus weeks. Hardly "false information on website known to publish false information"

I have more weeks than I can sometimes use so for me a "bonus" would not be getting another week for $400-800 but getting one for $100-250 for a 1 or 2 bedroom. Perhaps if I only had one or two weeks and wanted to travel 4-14 weeks per year and it brought the average fee to $400-700 per week it would be different for me.

I have always really wanted to like SFX but each time a promotion is announced I evaluated what I saw and so far nothing has led me to believe that I would get better value than what I get with RCI or II. Maybe that will change, maybe it won't. I'm not crazy about the idea of the owner of an exchange company blasting someone and TUG for stating that he doesn't think the companies bonuses are that great.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why didn't the SFX guy post *here* if they wanted to engage in this conversation? So odd. Also, one way to push my buttons--use unnecessary quote marks. Who is he quoting?

Because, after all, did you know that somewhere, right now, someone on the Internet is *wrong*? :crash:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
For example, I got 5 Lifestyle weeks for WMBirch bay, but only 3 for Capistrano Surfside Inn, even though both were Prime time deposits.

I thought the max it gave was fixed per prime deposit. I did not realize that it varied by resort. So I have some that are 5 and one that is 3. Guess I may have to reconsider by deposits.

Last edited:

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Mark's response was a bit out of line considering what the OP posted here. The OP stated that the tiered pricing and added fees for some locations and upgraded sizes were confusing and that he didn't see much value in the bonus weeks. Hardly "false information on website known to publish false information"

I have more weeks than I can sometimes use so for me a "bonus" would not be getting another week for $400-800 but getting one for $100-250 for a 1 or 2 bedroom. Perhaps if I only had one or two weeks and wanted to travel 4-14 weeks per year and it brought the average fee to $400-700 per week it would be different for me.

I have always really wanted to like SFX but each time a promotion is announced I evaluated what I saw and so far nothing has led me to believe that I would get better value than what I get with RCI or II. Maybe that will change, maybe it won't. I'm not crazy about the idea of the owner of an exchange company blasting someone and TUG for stating that he doesn't think the companies bonuses are that great.

I agree 100%. When a TUG member who PERSONALLY does not like SFX's bonus weeks and who STATED THE REASONS HE FELT THAT WAY posted here he was blasted on another site by an SFX owner/spokesperson. Instead of responding HERE ON TUG in an informative manner to show his company's advantages and benefits, the SFX owner/spokesperson instead posts on another site that the OP is basically lying and publishing false information. If the SFX owner/spokesperson had come here explaining advantages I would be willing to listen and ask questions. Typical of someone who has nothing to refute facts he deflects and undermines. He even went farther and denigrated the entire TUG site as "a web site known to publish false information". Poor to non existent marketing and public relations skills IMO.

I do not personally like or use SFX (yes I am a free Gold member) because they have little to no inventory EVER available at many of locations I travel to most often. If I frequented San Fransisco, Hawaii, and possibly New York I might see some advantages.

I personally love the panhandle of Florida and travel there several times a year. SFX has ONE resort on the entire panhandle which RCI also has. SFX's only panhandle resort is not even on the beach, it is on the bay! RCI has more than 20 panhandle resorts (many are oceanfront) NOT available through SFX. Facts are that SFX will not get me those exchanges I want and get each year on the panhandle through RCI.

More facts. I love to visit the NC Mountains. In the North Carolina Mountains SFX has one resort which RCI also has. RCI has 17 resorts that SFX does not offer in the NC mountains. Once again, Advantage RCI.

More facts. I travel to the Big Easy often. SFX has 4 New Orleans resorts. RCI has ALL 4 NOLA resorts offered by SFX, plus RCI has 12 resorts SFX does NOT offer.

More facts. I love Gatlinburg and the Smoky Mountains. SFX offers 2 resorts in Gatlinburg, both of which ARE offered by RCI. RCI offers an additional 19 Smoky Mountain resorts NOT offered by SFX.

More facts. SFX only has 4 resorts in the entire state of Tennessee. RCI offers all 4 SFX resort PLUS RCI has plus 23 resorts SFX does not offer.

For me RCI is the clear winner over SFX. The above listings are facts from both SFX's resort directory and RCI's. Mr SFX feel free to double check either or both. These are the factual reasons why RCI is better for me than SFX, not false information. I can cite more examples of where RCI blows SFX away for the places I travel, but this should be sufficient for most people.

Before you denigrate posters on TUG and the entire web site perhaps you should instead try a little sugar before you break out the vinegar. JMHO.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Tombo,

SFX does not limit their exchanges that they can get you to the list of resorts in their online directory. In fact, my last exchange with them was a great 2BR condo in Steamboat Springs during prime ski season, and that property was not in their directory. In fact, they list no properties in the Steamboat Springs area at all.

SFX works on a different model than most of the other exchange companies, and can obtain inventory from several different sources. They are not as big as RCI or II, but I have found that if the customer is flexible, they usually come through for them.

Bottom line: your list of "facts" do not take into account that SFX can obtain weeks outside of their resort directory, so those "facts" can certainly be misleading to people unfamiliar with SFX. Comparing numbers of resorts between RCI's and SFX's online directories means very little.

Kurt

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
However, I think even SFX's spokesperson would agree that if one's primary interest is in resorts not included in their directory, one is likely to be disappointed in trying to exchange with SFX.

If one's primary interest is in SFX's strengths- Mexico, California, NYC, London- you have the best chance for happiness with them. If you are interested in other areas, you still have a shot at happiness, sure, but not as good a shot. Its all about having realistic expectations.

Look, until the (IMO) semi-deranged response over-yonder, I was not enamored of SFX but had no big problem with them. I would have readily pointed out both the advantages and disadvantages of SFX as I perceived them, and quite honestly I still will. I just happen to think their bonus weeks are not a great value for someone who wants to book >6 months out.

H

Tombo,

SFX does not limit their exchanges that they can get you to the list of resorts in their online directory. In fact, my last exchange with them was a great 2BR condo in Steamboat Springs during prime ski season, and that property was not in their directory. In fact, they list no properties in the Steamboat Springs area at all.

SFX works on a different model than most of the other exchange companies, and can obtain inventory from several different sources. They are not as big as RCI or II, but I have found that if the customer is flexible, they usually come through for them.

Bottom line: your list of "facts" do not take into account that SFX can obtain weeks outside of their resort directory, so those "facts" can certainly be misleading to people unfamiliar with SFX.

Kurt

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tombo,

Bottom line: your list of "facts" do not take into account that SFX can obtain weeks outside of their resort directory, so those "facts" can certainly be misleading to people unfamiliar with SFX. Comparing numbers of resorts between RCI's and SFX's online directories means very little.

Kurt

Yes SFX CAN on occasion get inventory in the areas I travel. I will not depsoit one of my weeks for the chance that they might get a deposit in my desired destination. SFX MAINLY gets inventory from their preferred resorts. A week here and there does not equal 1000's of weeks deposited with RCI. Please check and see how many weeks are currently available at how many different resorts through SFX on the Florida Panhandle. Currently there are 362 available on RCI at 13 different resorts.

If you want to deposit your week for exchange for Steamboat Springs would you choose an exchange company that on occassion get deposits in the area (SFX) or an exchange company that ALWAYS has availability (RCI/ II)?

I will deposit where I have the best chance of getting the area, dates, and resorts I want, and in most cases the best chance I have is through RCI, not SFX. RCI has more resorts, more members, more deposits, and more exchanges weekly, monthly, and yearly than SFX does. That is a fact.

Last edited: