• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any way to check RCI TPUs before joining?

pashbroo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a week with dual affiliation that I'm trying to decide what to do with. Currently I'm a member of II and would get an AC with the deposit (for whatever that's worth), but was considering depositing the week in RCI instead to try out RCI. However, I'd rather not join without knowing what I'm going to get for my week. Is there any way to check the TPU for my week (Aug. 10-17, Eagle's Nest Marco Island, FL 2BR) before I join? Thanks!

Catira

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a week with dual affiliation that I'm trying to decide what to do with. Currently I'm a member of II and would get an AC with the deposit (for whatever that's worth), but was considering depositing the week in RCI instead to try out RCI. However, I'd rather not join without knowing what I'm going to get for my week. Is there any way to check the TPU for my week (Aug. 10-17, Eagle's Nest Marco Island, FL 2BR) before I join? Thanks!

The following is what I found IF the resort name I input is correct.
RCI resort # 731.. Maximum trading power 26, Current trading power 25

pashbroo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The following is what I found IF the resort name I input is correct.
RCI resort # 731.. Maximum trading power 26, Current trading power 25

That looks like the right resort number. For that TPU I think I'll just stick with II. Thanks for the help!

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Have you thought of joining HGVC? With your unit you'd get 5000 HGVC points and be able to trade in RCI without paying the RCI membership. Yes you'd pay the HGVC club membership but you could potentially get two studios in somewhere expensive in RCI like say Manhattan Club with 5000 HGVC points and the exchange fees.

HGVC points can be a good deal in RCI without having to worry about TPUs which may or may not be a good deal. Of course there are negatives to trading into RCI with HGVC points in that some places are more expensive than straight TPU's but I find HGVC a good trader in RCI and seems to have some type of preference with some inventory. ;)

pashbroo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you thought of joining HGVC? With your unit you'd get 5000 HGVC points and be able to trade in RCI without paying the RCI membership. Yes you'd pay the HGVC club membership but you could potentially get two studios in somewhere expensive in RCI like say Manhattan Club with 5000 HGVC points and the exchange fees.

HGVC points can be a good deal in RCI without having to worry about TPUs which may or may not be a good deal. Of course there are negatives to trading into RCI with HGVC points in that some places are more expensive than straight TPU's but I find HGVC a good trader in RCI and seems to have some type of preference with some inventory. ;)

chriskre,

The problem with that is that most years we're going to use our home resort. We had planned to this year and even have our week booked, and then circumstances changed and we won't be able to use it. From talking to HGVC, it was explained to me that if I pay the $400 to join HGVC, I have to pay the $114/year whether I trade my week through HGVC or not, otherwise I'll have to pay another $400 to "re-join" at a later time. Seems a waste to me to spend $114/year for nothing. Is there something wrong about the information I have there?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
chriskre,

The problem with that is that most years we're going to use our home resort. We had planned to this year and even have our week booked, and then circumstances changed and we won't be able to use it. From talking to HGVC, it was explained to me that if I pay the $400 to join HGVC, I have to pay the $114/year whether I trade my week through HGVC or not, otherwise I'll have to pay another $400 to "re-join" at a later time. Seems a waste to me to spend $114/year for nothing. Is there something wrong about the information I have there?

That's true but you may get your moneys worth using the open season benefit. I've only been a club member for 2 years now and I've used 4 open season reservations and only 2 club reservations and one RCI exchange.

It's nice to be able to get away for a few days without having to worry about owning more points and just renting from the club for a reasonable amount making the $114 a year worth it to me. I live in Florida though so I can get alot of short last minute trips because there are so many resorts in the club near me. I've used it for Ft. myers beach, Marco, 3 bedrooms in Orlando that I could not easily get thru RCI and renting is unreliable and difficult to find a deal that is reasonable.

If I had more vacation time I could have booked more cause there always seems to be something tempting me. ;)
You only need to book 2 nights to take advantage of these getaways and you'd also have access to RCI for open season thru them although I've not yet taken advantage of that benefit yet. I imagine it works similar to the club open season where you have to call in to book.

When you book open season rates you don't have to pay the extra fees that RCI exchangers do since it's considered a club reservation. :) If you join the HGVC club then you save the $89 RCI fee yet still get the benefit so in essence it's only costing you $25 more to be an HGVC member.

pashbroo

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's true but you may get your moneys worth using the open season benefit. I've only been a club member for 2 years now and I've used 4 open season reservations and only 2 club reservations and one RCI exchange.

It's nice to be able to get away for a few days without having to worry about owning more points and just renting from the club for a reasonable amount making the $114 a year worth it to me. I live in Florida though so I can get alot of short last minute trips because there are so many resorts in the club near me. I've used it for Ft. myers beach, Marco, 3 bedrooms in Orlando that I could not easily get thru RCI and renting is unreliable and difficult to find a deal that is reasonable.

If I had more vacation time I could have booked more cause there always seems to be something tempting me. ;)
You only need to book 2 nights to take advantage of these getaways and you'd also have access to RCI for open season thru them although I've not yet taken advantage of that benefit yet. I imagine it works similar to the club open season where you have to call in to book.

When you book open season rates you don't have to pay the extra fees that RCI exchangers do since it's considered a club reservation. :) If you join the HGVC club then you save the $89 RCI fee yet still get the benefit so in essence it's only costing you $25 more to be an HGVC member.

That's a good point about the saving RCI fee. Unfortunately for us, living in Chicago, any short trip would require a flight as well.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
That's a good point about the saving RCI fee. Unfortunately for us, living in Chicago, any short trip would require a flight as well.

Maybe not if you used the RCI open season benefit. Like I said I have not yet used it. Maybe somebody who has can give better info but it seems like it may be a nice benefit, kind of like the ability to book nightly in RCI points. I don't know where they get the inventory from for the RCI open season. I guess I'll have to try it out so I can speak from experience. :D

pashbroo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe not if you used the RCI open season benefit. Like I said I have not yet used it. Maybe somebody who has can give better info but it seems like it may be a nice benefit, kind of like the ability to book nightly in RCI points. I don't know where they get the inventory from for the RCI open season. I guess I'll have to try it out so I can speak from experience. :D

Oh I see, I thought you meant the Hilton open-season rather than the RCI open-season, which would have limited us to the Hilton properties (nowhere near Chicago). Perhaps if I could read better... :)

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Oh I see, I thought you meant the Hilton open-season rather than the RCI open-season, which would have limited us to the Hilton properties (nowhere near Chicago). Perhaps if I could read better... :)

Sorry, I wasn't that clear to be honest.

The good thing is that you have access to last calls also in RCI which are discounted full weeks that you could book for a flat price like of less than $300 for up to a 2 bedroom and there are plenty of drive to destinations near you in the Dells or even in Illinois like this resort at Sheridan, IL, Silverleaf FoxRun, here's an example of what you could get right now:

2 Bedrooms 6 (6) Full Sat 10-Dec-2011 Sat 17-Dec-2011 USD 294.00
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Full Sat 10-Dec-2011 Sat 17-Dec-2011 USD 294.00
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Full Sat 17-Dec-2011 Sat 24-Dec-2011 USD 294.00

pashbroo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't that clear to be honest.

The good thing is that you have access to last calls also in RCI which are discounted full weeks that you could book for a flat price like of less than $300 for up to a 2 bedroom and there are plenty of drive to destinations near you in the Dells or even in Illinois like this resort at Sheridan, IL, Silverleaf FoxRun, here's an example of what you could get right now:

2 Bedrooms 6 (6) Full Sat 10-Dec-2011 Sat 17-Dec-2011 USD 294.00
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Full Sat 10-Dec-2011 Sat 17-Dec-2011 USD 294.00
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Full Sat 17-Dec-2011 Sat 24-Dec-2011 USD 294.00

The Dells was the one place I thought this could be useful. I don't suppose there's any way to check RCI Last Call availability without being a member?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Hmmm, if they rent them for the same prices, what's the value of getting them through HGVC? ;) Thanks for the link though, very valuable information!

It's not always the same prices for the inventory. Many times it's a little higher by about $100 or $200. So I guess that's the value of having the access to the back door to RCI as opposed to just being the casual renter surfing on by. :ignore: