• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaiian Princess at Makaha--your impressions

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Have an opportunity to get a 1 bedroom for one of the guys at the firehouse and their two girls through Trading Places for an exact date they need. I am wondering what you all think of this resort, and if you feel it is satisfactory for four people.

Would this be a poor choice for a family of four, visiting Oahu for hte first time. They don't really want to stay in Waikiki Beach after Rick talked it down so much.

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would reconsider Waikiki

Upside: nice uncrowded beach and the units and the building are better than OK. Downside: far from the historical, cultural and interesting sites most would like to visit on Oahu and would need to do a lot of driving. This part of the island is not considered to be the best of areas by some. I would reconsider Waikiki.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Upside: nice uncrowded beach and the units and the building are better than OK. Downside: far from the historical, cultural and interesting sites most would like to visit on Oahu and would need to do a lot of driving. This part of the island is not considered to be the best of areas by some. I would reconsider Waikiki.

I agree with this assessment. Has this family ever been to Hawaii..or Oahu? Aside from the fabulous beachfront location..I'm willing to bet this is not what they think of when they visit Hawaii.

Here is a link to a rental site that I think also gives a fair assessment (No TUG police-I'm not affiliated in ANY way) I just think it gives any honest description of the location and limited resources in terms of shopping and food.
http://www.skrrentals.com/

It's 15 miles out from Kapoeli which is where the Mariott Ko'olina is..you really have to know that this is what you want and where you want to stay. A first time visitor doesn't want this IMHO.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Cindy, if you can get Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk at Waikiki, I'd consider it. Our family loved it and we've been to Hawaii multiple times.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Cindy,

There is a owner over on WMOwner.com (harvrbt) who loves this property and agrees that it is a gem on Oahu. However, he also includes the caveat that it is not in the best part of Oahu and that the locals there aren't as welcoming of tourists as in other parts of Oahu.

All that being said, he raves about the property and has indicated that all the 2BR properties are ocean-view with great views.

Good luck, I think they would have a wonderful time in Oahu.

Best,

Greg

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stay at Ko Olina on Oahu each time and we also drive up the west coast past Makaha and to the end of the road where there is a great beach that is usually completely deserted. It is a beautiful area but there is tremendous poverty on that side of the island with major portions of the coast inhabited by homeless people living in makeshift shacks. The Makaha resort is another 20 minutes (could be more depending on traffic) past Ko Olina, which is already 45-60 minutes from the airport. Additionally, the road ends on the northwest corner of the island and you cannot get to the north shore without doubling back past Ko Olina.

You cannot overstate the impact, visual and otherwise, of the poverty on that side of the island and you would want your friends to know that upfront if they are planning to stay. The closest comparison I could give would be north baja mexico by Rosarita or Ensenada. That being stated, we always drive up that way to enjoy the scenery and the beautiful beach at the end of the road.

pharmgirl

Reaction score
I would advise against renting in this area for first timers to Hawaii
Surrounding area is not very nice even if beach and units are. Lots of homeless on surrounding beaches and locals that might show some resentment
Also main street is just local stores

Suggest Koolina ts grounds are lovely looks like what you expect for a lush hawaaian vacation, near Kapolei for groceries and restaurants also easy to travel to Waikiki and north shore

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I emailed Teepeeca. I know he owns there and loves it. The resort charges $149 per night in rent for a full week's stay, + tax, and I can get this for them for $700 total with my MF"s, guest and exchange fees included.

I think Tony will have good advice.

This couple needs a WEDNESDAY check-in date. That is just difficult. Rick told him that Waikiki Beach is like staying in downtown Denver, and they weren't interested in that. I talked to the family yesterday while at the firehouse, and they were definitely not interested in Waikiki Beach. We own Shell Points, so of course I could get a studio at the Shell property there. We also own Wyndham points, but I don't want them to pay that much for a week at WBW.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would advise against renting in this area for first timers to Hawaii
Surrounding area is not very nice even if beach and units are. Lots of homeless on surrounding beaches and locals that might show some resentment
Also main street is just local stores

Suggest Koolina ts grounds are lovely looks like what you expect for a lush hawaaian vacation, near Kapolei for groceries and restaurants also easy to travel to Waikiki and north shore

Cindy,

Please read what I bolded. It's the truth. I know they don't want Waikiki but safety needs to be a concern too. You mentioned "girls" ...how old? If they are teens then they might actually like Waikiki for shopping,etc. If Waikiki is totally out then why not consider another island with areas that you are comfortable and familiar with? I would much rather have them come home raving about the place you obtained for them than to come home and tell you they felt uncomfortable or even frightened during their stay. Give them a place with activities and amenities either on site or nearby. JHMO.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Cindy,

Please read what I bolded. It's the truth. I know they don't want Waikiki but safety needs to be a concern too. You mentioned "girls" ...how old? If they are teens then they might actually like Waikiki for shopping,etc. If Waikiki is totally out then why not consider another island with areas that you are comfortable and familiar with? I would much rather have them come home raving about the place you obtained for them than to come home and tell you they felt uncomfortable or even frightened during their stay. Give them a place with activities and amenities either on site or nearby. JHMO.

The truth is, there are many homeless in Waikiki, too. Take a walk early in the morning and you'll find them sleeping in the shrubbery.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
The truth is, there are many homeless in Waikiki, too. Take a walk early in the morning and you'll find them sleeping in the shrubbery.

Of course there are. Homelessness is not uncommon to any area...including my own area AND my own family members. I guess it depends on what an individual deems an idyllic vacation. Often times with Hawaii, they want beaches, good food, a little shopping. They want to "get away from it all" and have that picture perfect vacation they can brag about when they get home.

That is not necessarily how I measure a successful trip but it might be for her guests. I think full disclosure is best and then decisions can be made from that point.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would think Waikiki would have a lot of shrubbery sleepers - have you priced a hotel room there? :eek:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
West Oahu is really a quite place. This is where the real locals live. The homeless really are not stacked up like what some people think. This coast line is where many people that live on Oahu take their families camping. The people I met at the campgrounds were local ( from Oahu) and drove nice trucks and suv's. Their fishing gear was really nice, probably $500 - $800 set ups for surf fishing.

The unemployment rate for Makaha is under 6%. The average home costs is $290,000 with some in the multi million dollar range and some way lower than average. Most people in Makaha are Hawaiian, Asian or a mix of the two.

The weather is nice since Makaha is on the dry side of Oahu. The beaches are beautiful and some have life guards. The end of the road is at a State Park on Yokohama Bay. The hiking opportunities are great.

There is a golf course in the Makaha Valley with a resort and condos. The food is so so.

The Hawaiian Princess is all Ocean View. You need to rent a car and stop in Pearl City for supplies. There is a grocery store and hardware store in Makaha with enough items to get by on. There is also a small mall and restaruants in Waianae.

Traffic is easy in this area unlike Honolulu. Its also an easy drive to other locations for visits.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
For 18 months of my life, I managed 10 buildings, and this is one of them. If you want to sit on the beach during the day and not go anywhere at night, it is fine. However, if they want to see any other parts of Oahu, they should be ready to do a lot of driving. The pool is very small and sometimes the beach will wash away during the winter and there is not much sand. There are not very many places to go out for dinner or lunch, and if they do, it is risky. Just don't do it late at night. During the winter, the weather can be nice, but the summer is hot. I would not advise staying here.

Maybe they can think about renting a week at Turtle Bay, or at a house somewhere else on the island.

What is amazing to me is that so many people are negative on Waikiki and they have never been there or seen it. If someone is so dead set on getting away to a quiet beach, they should go to another island, like Kauai, or Maui.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
No tourist has been stabbed to death, beaten to death, robed ( other than car break ins), solicited by a prostitute or raped in the Makaha area unlike Honolulu which has had all of these crimes to tourists right in the Wakiki Beach tourist areas. I think it has something to do with homeless people on drugs and prostitution.

At any of these beaches around Wakiki there are people watching you, just waiting for an opportunity to RIP you off.

For us Wakiki, is good for a day trip. Its a big city atmosphere with a crowed little dirty beach in front of it.

We really like Turtle Bay and the North Shore on Oahu but the op was asking about Makaha.