• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice/opinions requested for re-sale purchase

krazykevy

Reaction score
First and foremost I want to say that finding this site was an absolute godsend for my wife and I. We recently went on a Wyndham TS presentation in the Poconos and after a mentally exhausting and draining 5 hours we ended up siging up for a 84,000 point package. Upon getting home I started researching the heck out of it and found this site. Once again, THANK GOD I FOUND TUG!!!! Needless to say, I was at the post office the next morning sending my rescission letter to Las Vegas...

We are still interesting in the Wydham TS and I have stumbled upon a package that I would like any and/or all feedback that you may have. It is a 300,000 points annual Club Wydham Plus Timeshare with the home resort in Sedona. It is priced at $100 plus closing/transfer costs and the 2012 MF's are $115.50/month.

My wife and I love Arizona and have been to Scottsdale/Phoenix area twice in the past 3 years and plan to relocate to AZ in 3.5 years...so we would definitly take advantage of the "home" resort while owning the TS.

So, my main questions are: buying re-sale....RCI is still able to be utilized if desired? 300,000 points....good for 2 weeks of vacation a year? Price and MF's seem fair?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Kevin

kaio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kevin, First off.... Pat yourself on the back for the quick action you took to research and rescind from your developer purchase.... Can't say enough how good of a move that was. I do personally believe you can get 2 weeks of vacation from 300,000 points... if intend on using APR (advance priority)... you would not get last minute discounted points; however, nothing stops you from cancelling and re-picking back up last minute at a discount within the 30 day mark. As far as how many weeks you can get with that allotment of points, it all depends on the time of the year you are reserving and room size.... $4.62 per thousand points (your MF/point ratio) is not too shabby.... Yes there are other resort's that have better ratio's (and worse) but if you want APR at a Wyndham Sedona.... then it is a good find IMO... the Maintenance Fees seem fair. Yes, you would still get free RCI membership and exchange benefits with resale, but I don't suggest using those benefits unless you have no other choice to use points. The Transfer fee is $299, Purchase prices for a Wyndham Points ownership like this vary a bit, but usually most do not exceed $100 in most cases, so that is alright. What are you paying for closing?

Good job on rescinding from the developer... eitherway, you are on the right track to getting a way better deal!

krazykevy

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick reply, I so appreciate it! One thing I need to study up on is the APR (benefits/process). I need to wrap my head around that (or find more info to research on it!) I have absorbed so much TS info over the past month my head is swimming! Ha!

As for closing costs they are approximated at $350 and the county recording fee to be $75.

I have requested the estoppel letter...I want my butt completly covered if I go forward with the purchase.

Kevin

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI is still able to be utilized if desired? 300,000 points....good for 2 weeks of vacation a year? Price and MF's seem fair?

RCI membership is included as part of your Club Wyndham Plus membership fee. That fee also is what allows you to trade to all the other Wyndham resorts. There are three parts to your membership fees: Maintenance Fees to the resort management, Real Estate Tax, Club Wyndham Plus fee. Most times it's paid all in one to Club Wyndham and they take care of distributing the money.

You will like looking through the Member Directory to see how to use 300K points. Number of points depends on the size unit you need, and what time of year and how high up in a high rise building at some resorts. Have fun planning your vacations!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a resale buyer, you still have access to a section of the online Wyndham system called RESORT SPECIALS. At 6-8 weeks before checkin, Wyndham selects resorts and offer by each week a DISCOUNT off points needed to all members on new reservations. Helps to fill the resorts at the last minute and helps you to perhaps go on an extra vacation or two per year.

Wyndham is great as you can book the number of days you want to stay - might be a minimum number of days or certain check in days, but you most likely don't have to do a whole week.

And don't discount using RCI for exchanges. I use the exchange companies for locations w/o Wyndham resorts.

And Welcome to TUG!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
One thing I need to study up on is the APR (benefits/process). I need to wrap my head around that (or find more info to research on it!) Kevin

ARP is only really useful if your resort has very high demand and/or very low supply of units, it gives owners a priority to book time over all other wanting to book at your home resort.

Now sedona is smaller, but not tiny, so there may be some tough weeks to get as a regular owner without having home priority, but I really don't know the extent. But in all honesty it is not on the list of hard hard to get, like Mrytle Beach summer and Holiday or just summer period at the any of the resorts in MB other than Ocean Blvd (highest point value over other resorts).

So you would have to do some checking yourself or asking around what priority at Sedona really get for you. I might be useful for ARP for certain time periods/weeks.

Reaction score
I found the best way to get a good suite is to plan your vacation 11 months away. That way, you know where you want to go. Make sure that is where you want to go! Plan on that date you will check in. Exactly 10 months (the earliest you can reserve) from check in, reserve it. You will be able to do it online, much easier!
Also, when you get notification from the Closing company with your member and customer numbers, go sign up online! There's an extensive FAQ and online learning part of the site. You SHOULD order the 2011/2012 Member Directory (first one free), grab a highlighter, and study that book!

TS

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is great as you can book the number of days you want to stay - might be a minimum number of days or certain check in days, but you most likely don't have to do a whole week.

Does Can less than a week be booked at 10 Months ?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Can less than a week be booked at 10 Months ?

The points chart for Sedona says "3 or 4 night stays in Prime season require check in or check out on Fri, Sat or Sun

So yes..you can reserve less than a full week at 10 months

.What you cant do in prime time is my favorite way to stretch points, and thats the 5 day stay, Sunday check in Friday check out, You can do it other times though...Its nearly a week, but the points you need are so much lees because its not prime time and because Fri and Sat points requirements are so much more than other days...Im doing it next week (Thanksgiving) at National Harbor a full week in a 2 bed in prime time would be 250000 points. Thanksgiving is not prime time and the 5 weekdays is costing me only 135000 points

Do something similar, and perhaps step back to a 1 bedroom and you can get 2 weeks for your 154000 points at Sedona

krazykevy

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all of your feedback, suggestions, and advice! It has been great. I will let everyone know if I am able to secure this TS. Thanks again!

Kevin

Reaction score
FYI, you can also look in the "Bargain Deals" part of the site, and see if there are any Wyndham points deals. No need to wait for the end of an auction, you probably will have to pay the transfer fees ($299), but other than that, free.

jn26845

Reaction score
Where can i find the resort specials someone had mentioned earlier?

krazykevy

Reaction score
So, I didn't win the auction. It ended up selling for $1025! I laughed to myself because I know I can do sooo much better on TUG...so I don't feel bad that I didn't get it. I think I will look through the listings here. I didn't think there were any with Sedona (or Flagstaff) as the "home" resort...but if I buy enough points I guess in the grand scheme of things it shouldn't matter....right?

Kevin

WeLovetoTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the beauty of the Wyndham system. Points are points.... I have never needed to use ARP. (But then again I don't vacation in Myrtle in July, or in Daytona during race week.) For most purposes, in my opinion, home resort doesn't really matter for most vacations.
-Deb

Reaction score
My wife and I have a deed (128000 points) at Star Island in Kissimmee FL. Since we live about an hour from the resort, we have no interest in ever vacationing at any Orlando-area resorts. Like others have said, the only advantage to having a "home" resort is 13-month Advance Reservation Priority (ARP).