• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My spreadsheet document is a read only now. Arggggghh!

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
I am so angry.:doh: I have a spreadsheet that I use for work. It is a list of my students from Sept on and the courses they are taking in my class. I need to update the list every week or so. I have been using a spreadsheet database that I have on my computer as an email attachment so I can work on it at home on my own computer,
Last night I went to update the names and closed the program. I needed to add something a little later and ALL MY NEW INFO WAS GONE. I thought I had saved the work.....:mad: So I redid the work, saved and closed it ,opened it again and the work was gone again. I looked on top of the page and in light print it said read only. I went on the internet and learned that there is a glitch in the program and it might go read only for various reasons. None of which are good enough for me.
(I was going to do this long hand this year but my secretary convinced me to "get with technology:D " Short of redoing all the data does anyone have a suggestion. PS. This never happened with my old Macs that schools used to use.

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try copying the whole spreadsheet into a new document. You can then edit the new worksheet don't forget to save the new document.

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Won't work.

I am at home and the email attachment was done at work. I think it might be two different operating systems. Will try when I am at work on Fri . Sounds like it should work. Besides there are lots of techie people there:D

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You could try to change the "read only" attribute of the file itself. On a PC, locate the file, right-click the filename, click the "properties" button and then uncheck "read only." If you lack "permission" to change the attribute, you could try to give youself that right under the "security" tab.

However, copying the contents of the doc into a wholly new doc which you can edit is also a good idea. When saving the new version, you should change the name, perhaps by adding a date to the filename.

Last edited:

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is from an older edition of excel but may be useful:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you make a workbook read-only, changes to the workbook cannot be saved in the same workbook file. You can, however, use the Save As command (File menu) to save another version of the file with a different name or in another location.

Arnie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right Mark!

That should work, I have done it many times even in the newer version of Excel.:) They key is the "SAVE AS " command.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
That should work, I have done it many times even in the newer version of Excel.:) They key is the "SAVE AS " command.

Indeed, he may want to "Save As" different revisions of the same doc, appending a version # or date, in case he wants to look at an earlier version for some reason.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do that all the time, too--just do a "save as" with a new file name, and off you go.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
OR your issue may be that you aren't saving the file to a specific location on your hard drive. It's easy to do - you click "save" and don't point it somewhere.

If you open an email attachment, edit it and then save without pointing it to a specific location on your hard drive you are just overwriting the temporary internet file and if you are very lucky you will recover it, more likely is that your changes are gone.

First thing you should always do with email attachments is to save them to the hard drive before you do anything with them - unfortunately I know from experience.

I am so angry.:doh: I have a spreadsheet that I use for work. It is a list of my students from Sept on and the courses they are taking in my class. I need to update the list every week or so. I have been using a spreadsheet database that I have on my computer as an email attachment so I can work on it at home on my own computer,
Last night I went to update the names and closed the program. I needed to add something a little later and ALL MY NEW INFO WAS GONE. I thought I had saved the work.....:mad: So I redid the work, saved and closed it ,opened it again and the work was gone again. I looked on top of the page and in light print it said read only. I went on the internet and learned that there is a glitch in the program and it might go read only for various reasons. None of which are good enough for me.
(I was going to do this long hand this year but my secretary convinced me to "get with technology:D " Short of redoing all the data does anyone have a suggestion. PS. This never happened with my old Macs that schools used to use.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
If you open this as an attachment to an email message, it may well open as read-only. This is to prevent you from altering the contents of the email.

As others have said, "Save as" will allow you to save it to a different location and/or a different file name. You can then attach the newly saved file to a new email message and send it back.

Alternately, your email program may allow you to save the attachment to a different location outside of the email area. You should be able to open it from there and edit it.

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Low tech, love it.

I work with special needs kids and one of the first things I learned was that the least intrusive ie. lowest tech :p option is usually the best. Went to work on Fri and 3 people tried to get it to work. I finally saved the ORIGINAL document to my desktop in the udrive since everything on the desktop gets deleated at the end of the day and on my memory stick so I can work on it at home.:D We have a new security system at work that goes with our online report cards and I think that may be the issue. My problem solved. Thanks guys.