• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Very frustrated exchanging to San Diego

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Normally we have no problems with vacations because we go during off season. Next summer we want to try San Diego but have to go end of August because he is a teacher. I called DAE and was told very hard to get anything in San Diego during summer. I called the resort we like, Carlsbad Inn, and they said my best bet would be RCI. I just banked my Wyndham points with RCI and will try to get a unit for my wife and I. But I need two units or a two bedroom so I thought I could bank a VI week and use that with RCI. VI will not assign a room number and I was told by RCI on two different attempts that I cannot bank a week if there is not a room number assigned for my week.

Is this true with all exchanges and are there certain exchange companies that have good inventories for the San Diego area?

Gary

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting to San Diego for this next August

Is right at impossible trading.
Those weeks rent very well so very few are ever deposited with any trading company, and those like the Welk resorts were deposited 2 years prior and grabbed up as soon as they hit RCI.

As to the VI issue, when you call to deposit and they say you need a unit number, as per Aron Demksy at VI
All reservations must be for 7 nights. All reservations must start on a Saturday. If the RCI Agent says you can’t do it, they’re wrong. Ask to speak to a supervisor. If the RCI Agent insists you need a room number, they are wrong. Ask to speak to a supervisor. The numbers after to the resort are the RCI resort codes. If you want to give Hawaii , we always prefer it be the VI Low Season for Sea Mountain
Sunriver 0532

Elkhorn 0531

Fairway Villa 0535

Hololani 0524

Kapaa Shore 0526

Kihei Kai Nani 0534

Papakea 0533

Pono Kai 0525

Sea Village 0528

Sea Mountian 0530

Valley Isle 0529

Vallarta Torre 0527

Torres Mazatlan 0523

fwiw,

Greg
Normally we have no problems with vacations because we go during off season. Next summer we want to try San Diego but have to go end of August because he is a teacher. I called DAE and was told very hard to get anything in San Diego during summer. I called the resort we like, Carlsbad Inn, and they said my best bet would be RCI. I just banked my Wyndham points with RCI and will try to get a unit for my wife and I. But I need two units or a two bedroom so I thought I could bank a VI week and use that with RCI. VI will not assign a room number and I was told by RCI on two different attempts that I cannot bank a week if there is not a room number assigned for my week.

Is this true with all exchanges and are there certain exchange companies that have good inventories for the San Diego area?

Gary

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why did you not use your Wyndham pts to book? I would not rely on an exchange for a summer week in San Diego--this is one of the benefits of owning where you want to go and one of the reasons I enjoy my Wyndham pts. Its like owning at many different resorts:wave: Dawn

Just checked and Wyndham Harbour Lights has availabiity Aug 1-26th, 2012.

Last edited:

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
we only had 154000 points

We are traveling with another couple so we need a two bedroom or two one bedroom units. For anything in that area it required a lot more points. I just deposited my points with RCI so I wonder if I could get them back. Maybe we can book 5 nights and get rooms for the other two. At this point I am thinking of going somewhere else.

If it were just my wife and I it is no problem because usually in early fall weather is still nice but not as crowded and easier to book resorts.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked Worldmark. They have several one bedrooms at Oceanside Harbor for the last couple weeks of August. There looks like a lot of units, both 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom at Worldmark Mission Valley during the entire month.

Can you trade into those with your Wydham account and pay the difference?

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I can

Even though WM is owned my Wyndham I don;t think I can. I think that resort is part of the regular Wyndham inventory but we don't have enough points. I really like the WM system as it seems there is not a huge difference between resorts as far as points required, with Wyndham there can be huge differences.

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just booked 12 nights in 2 bedroom

I checked VIs nightly exchange and was able to book 12 nights (after checking with my son found out it was July not August when we had to book) at the WM Mission Valley Resort. It is not on the beach and probably not anything special but my guess is it is not too far from San Diego attractions and the beach. We would have liked to had something on the beach but will have to save that for another trip.

We have never really spent any time in San Diego, we were there once over 30 years ago and only went to the Zoo while staying in Anahiem. We have run into many friends that love going to San Diego and maybe this could be our cheap substitution to Hawaii!

So our VI points came in handy after all.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though WM is owned my Wyndham I don;t think I can. I think that resort is part of the regular Wyndham inventory but we don't have enough points. I really like the WM system as it seems there is not a huge difference between resorts as far as points required, with Wyndham there can be huge differences.

WM is MANAGED my Wyndham not OWNED by Wyhdham despite what they tell you

gstepic

TUG Member
Reaction score
good to know

Down the road when we can afford more points I am seriouslly thinking about buying a resale WM membership. It seems much easier to get two bedroom units, with VI very difficult, and like I may have mentioned, there does not seem to be a huge difference in points required between different WM resorts

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked VIs nightly exchange and was able to book 12 nights (after checking with my son found out it was July not August when we had to book) at the WM Mission Valley Resort. It is not on the beach and probably not anything special but my guess is it is not too far from San Diego attractions and the beach. We would have liked to had something on the beach but will have to save that for another trip.

It is a very central and excellent location. If you have a car, just about everything that you would want to see is only a few minutes away. Enjoy your trip!