• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do I need a chimney liner?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I definitely need my chimneys repaired including some rows rebuilt. If I redo the burner chimney do I need a liner?

They're trying to sell me on the safety and effeciency of the liners. The concept sounds logical that it will be much more effecient and I just put in a new boiler so I am looking to optimize my energy consumption. And the safety issue is a no-brainer if it does make it safer. When I pulled off my burner pipe there was alot of chimney particiles, not soot so I'm thinking I need the lining but that debris could be just from the broken brick that I'm replacing.

What is the general thoughts on these chimney liners? Do they do as they proclaim?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I definitely need my chimneys repaired including some rows rebuilt. If I redo the burner chimney do I need a liner?

They're trying to sell me on the safety and effeciency of the liners. The concept sounds logical that it will be much more effecient and I just put in a new boiler so I am looking to optimize my energy consumption. And the safety issue is a no-brainer if it does make it safer. When I pulled off my burner pipe there was alot of chimney particiles, not soot so I'm thinking I need the lining but that debris could be just from the broken brick that I'm replacing.

What is the general thoughts on these chimney liners? Do they do as they proclaim?

They are extremely effective, cut energy use, increase safety and fully utilize the extra energy saving features most new equipment has. It is a great way to utilize your existing chimney but make it super efficient and safer. Unless it's too much money it is a great way to go.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
In NJ, if you replace an oil furance with a gas furnace, figure the local CCO will require a chimney liner. Used to be just get a chimney sweep to clean the chimney --- not good enough anymore. And I have had to get liners with oil-to-oil furnace replacements.

It is almost better to just get a thru the wall super high efficiently gas burner then.

And with a chimney liner, you are supposed to put some special "fill" between the masonary brick wall and the liner.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
And with a chimney liner, you are supposed to put some special "fill" between the masonary brick wall and the liner.

Old chimneys made entirely of brick can collapse on the liner. If you have a clay-flue liner in your chimney already, I see no need for another liner.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
When we sold our house, the repair estimate was $9k, from 2 estimates. To repair the chimney and triPle liner. We rePlaced it with a Buck Stove ventless gas fireplace , no need for chimney then. It was gorgeous.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They are extremely effective, cut energy use, increase safety and fully utilize the extra energy saving features most new equipment has. It is a great way to utilize your existing chimney but make it super efficient and safer. Unless it's too much money it is a great way to go.

Its about an extra 1500 I believe. I spoke to a few others and they said it was a good idea as well so I'm doing it.

I'm spending $5500 for two chimney repairs and one lining. I solicited 6 chimney companies received valid quotes of $5250, 6k, $6.2k and $7.2k from 4 . All were reputable based on my research but I liked the guy at $6.2k. the best. I told him so and told him my quotes and said I could agree at $5500 and he said let's do it, so he starts on Thursday.