• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

iPhone in Mexico

moonlightgraham

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the iPhone 4s and am loving it after years of using a "pretend" smartphone from Samsung. Will be heading to Royal Hacienda next month and was wondering about using the phone there without incurring exorbitant charges.

My carrier is Sprint and they will unlock the phone to allow use of a local carrier sim card and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on (1) where to get the sim card? Maybe at the RR Marketplace at a reasonable price? (2) Is it even worth the hassle to do this? I'm thinking I can use the RR wi-fi to surf the web and all that so the sim card would most likely be just for a handful of voice calls, and numerous text and email messages. Any thoughts from the great minds?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I don't know about the iPhone 4s, but with my iPhone 4, I don't even know where it is. It may be on the side where there is a little black dot and small slot. When I had a Razr, it was easy to change the battery and sim card, but this one is all closed up.

Double-check with Sprint. The iPhone is new for them and the person may not be as familiar with the phone.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why pay at all for calls? Install Skype on your phone & those you wish to call and make FREE calls. :whoopie:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have an iphone. But I use my unlocked Blackberry to use my Aruban and Mexican sim cards. You can get a sim card at any Telcel office. I do not think my iphone uses a sim card. I also get the verizon international plan added as a back up. I used to have sprint--I did the same thing with their international plan. When will you be at the Haciendas? we will be there week 45.

moonlightgraham

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think Sprint phone has a sim card. I could to totally wrong though.

Check out this article

Thanks for the article and it hits at the root of my question. As Sprint uses the CDMA standard and I understand the Mexican system is GSM, I'm not sure with a prepaid local SIM card if the phone would function properly. I can get a SIM card via Ebay for next to nothing but will it work? I do have Skype so the phone would be used for those calls to non-Skype persons. It's not a big deal but just curious if others have had any success in trying the prepaid SIM card.

PS The iPhone SIM card slot is on the right side of the phone, very obscure, but it's there.

PPS We'll be at RH for Thanksgiving Week, not sure what number that is as we're traveling on an II exchange for this trip. First time staying at RH and looking forward to it.

sdbrier

TUG Member
Reaction score
iphone

I too have an iphone, but never use it as a phone in Mexico. I use the skype app to do all my calling, and then just use the phone for movies in the room, music and getiing on tug. We love the Haciendas. Have a great time.:whoopie:

sdbrier

TUG Member
Reaction score
AT&T has a Mexico calling plan that seems pretty affordable. The service always seems good when we travel, though I've never actually talked on the Telcel network. I believe it's 3G.

persia

Reaction score
The iPhone 4S sold by Sprint and Verizon has the ability to use GSM. None of the earlier models sold by these companies do. Verizon will unlock the SIM if you tell them you are travelling outside the US and have been a customer for 60 days.

ATT is GSM and will unlock your iPhone when that very warm place freezes over. If you have an iPhone 4S these probably don't work. Earlier iPhones have both soft (with Jailbreak) and hard (Gevey SIM) unlock methods. Most of those will void your warrantee and may or may not work on certain base bands.

cmh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought an inexpensive phone on Ebay that's unlocked. I use it strictly in other countries, locally buying a SIM card upon arrival. It's worked well and was a reasonable cost. I did this Feb of 2011 in PV and March of 2010 in South Africa.

moonlightgraham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just as a follow-up on this, I managed to get most of the people I talked with on Skype during the week and it worked great, even the video chats. Sprint locked the SIM cards in the iphones recently and while they had said they will eventually unlock them, they hadn't at the time of my trip (Thanksgiving week) so the few calls outside of Skype were on their usurious $1.60/minute international rate plan, but I used only a handful of minutes that way so it wasn't a big deal.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Thanks for the update. I am planning to set Skype up on my iPhone and try that on my next trip. So many places have WIFI available, so it should work well. We have generally just used Skype on a netbook or laptop.