• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Cancun Questions [merged]

adanac1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Can i ask some advice regarding cooking.
1. Does the resort have BBQ to use
2. Did you go to Costco.
3. Has anyone taken the "cooking class" called "cancun cooking"?
4. Your best family excursion was?

Thanks for your feedback.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

C30NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll second Xel ha. Was awesome and make sure you walk the path around the whole property if you do go, you will see some awesome animals.

I saw the cooking excursion but since I go on vacation to not cook, I passed.

The market in the resort sells steaks and meats, but they didn't look great (they did look edible) and were very expensive!

Have fun! We loved it there!

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The resort offered a shuttle bus ride from the airport for our upcoming stay in September for $35 each way. That seems pretty high. How much are taxis running these days? Any other recommendations for getting to/from the airport? Are there other services that can be pre-reserved?

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
The resort offered a shuttle bus ride from the airport for our upcoming stay in September for $35 each way. That seems pretty high. How much are taxis running these days? Any other recommendations for getting to/from the airport? Are there other services that can be pre-reserved?
we used the airport transfer provided by the company in the link in post #3, private van for up to 8 people, $55 round trip, per van not per person.

They also offer a shared ride for $17 per person round trip, so if there are only two of you an you dont mind making a few stops at other hotels.

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco:

No. With the Walmart in the same plaza with reasonable prices and not requiring huge quantity purchases, why bother with Costco? Although see my note below for an even better alternative to Walmart.

Family Activities:
We did the owners update and received what i considered a very reasonable rate to Isla Mujeres' Garrafon Park. This included:

1) roundtrip ground transportation from Lagunamar to the ferry dock.
2) roundtrip ferry with hot breakfast on the oubound
3) admission into Garrafon Park which included:
a) activities such as wall climbing, zip lining, kayak & snorkel use
b) unlimited food and beverages at the park (including alcohol)
c) use of towels, beach chairs, hammocks, pool, bicylcles
4) swimming with the dolphins with Dolphin Discovery

It is listed as $139 on the website. I think we paid $75 per person after the "owners update discount"

EDIT: Closer to Lagunamar, right off the the main Cancun drag (Kakulkan), where it intersects with Boulevard Tulum, is a Shopping Center (Plaza Las Americas) with a much cleaner, equally reasonable Supermarket called Chedraui. I remember that in my last trip, I much preferred Chadraui and would avoid both Costco & Walmart in the future. I was told about Chedraui by Lagunamar's senior manager. She is right.

Last edited:

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
WalMart or Soriana (Mexican grocery store) are both better than the grocery store they are shuttling people to. I forget the name of it, but it's owned by WalMart and is small. I prefer more selction and fresh tortillas.

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they have grills, but you have to go to the store on the lower level of the main building and check out the grill tools, and they run out if you wait too late in the day. A bit inconvenient.

We went to Wal-Mart, not Costco.

We've never taken kids to Cancun, so I can't comment on "family" excursions, but we really enjoyed the Chichen Itza with USA Transfers/Entertainment Plus, and also taking the ferry to Isla Mujeres.

absmom

Reaction score
Just back and this was the first time on vacation we used the grills. The grills at Lagunamar are great. They are large and clean with nice tables and chairs. We even barbequed hot dogs one day for lunch.

Shopping- Took the bus in front of Lagunamar for 85 pesos to the larger Walmart downtown then a taxi back with our goods. The fresh pico de gallo was amazing for about 225 pesos as well as tortilla chips. You find these in the produce section next to the great bakery. The hotel transport takes you to the newer Walmart Superama which only carries food.

Best excursion for our family was Selvatica zip lines. This is a top notch run establishment. There are 12 ziplines and then you take a large jeep ride to a cenote that you can zipline in and swim in. Additionally they have ATV and jeep rides also. My family would have done a second trip there it was so great. It is run smoothly and safely and he excursion includes a nice lunch. I will be doing a review on tripadvisor soon.

XCaret was our other excursion, but we did not do it since we had torrential rain the day we planned for it.

We had a wonderful stay. I would be happy to answer other questions about kids activities or restaurants.

Enjoy

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)

Check out the shuttle operated by the Royal Resorts. $20pp round trip, last I knew. We used it in January. They drop off and pick up at Lagunamar if you ask.

mrswh

Reaction score
Lagunamar Questions

Hi all,

I've done a fair amount of searching but still have some questions about Lagunamar. First, is the pool heated or not? I have heard conflicting info about this. While I think it would be fine if not heated in the summer, we are planning a January trip and I am concerned about what it will be like with fewer hours of sunshine. I'd love to hear from someone who has visited in January.

Second, any suggestions for room requests? We will be traveling with 5 children ages 2-7, so while we'd like a great view, we also would like to be close to the "action" - wherever that is! Just don't want to have a long trek down the hall from the elevator every time we come and go.

Thanks for any insight!

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Lagunamar pool" search....

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141911&highlight=lagunamar+pool

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136085&highlight=lagunamar+pool

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145699&highlight=lagunamar+pool

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128955&highlight=lagunamar+pool

and numerous others....

I think you will find no consensus here, only repeated and differing opinions. Ultimately you will need to be your own judge.

Please, not another Lagunamar pool thread.

I looked at a resort map from the owner resources section,

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh119/DeniseMM/WLR.jpg

and building 200 or 300 may work for you. Its close to the parking area & the pools. If you do not have a car while there, equivalent buildings on the other side would be equal. You said a lower floor will serve you well, and that makes sense. As for view, all Lagunamar rooms are angled to provide a view of the sea. Obviously the higher you are, the less obstruction. If you want to use the kids club, (number 2 on the map in the owner's resource section), you may want to adjust your building request accordingly.

Last edited:

mrswh

Reaction score
Thanks, Levatino. Great links on the pool issue, but still no conclusive answer as far as I can tell. New heating system? Yes. But many of the reviews after it was allegedly installed still say cold, unheated pool. :shrug: Guess I'll just have to try it out and see for myself. :)

Thanks for the map as well, great to have. I don't know why hotels don't have those on their websites.

P.S. I grew up riding my bike in Edgewood Park and eating Ernie's pizza. :)

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
We also did the Chichen-Itza tour from Entertainment-Plus. If you want to splurge get the private van so you can be more flexible in your timing.

We did a day at Isla Mujeres as well. Nice snorkeling if you are into that.