• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massanutten - Should I get out?

VaPhilliesFan

Reaction score
Yes I am a newbie to this and based on what I have read I should get out of this contract but want advice from the experts. Bought yesterday so I can still get out.

One bedroom Woodstone (Float Casa) Week 20 (late May) Ownership type (odd) - one RCI bonus week and two gold cards - MF is 295.00. What we paid was $9,990. The previous owner already used the 2012 year as a roll over to next year so no access (or MF) til 2013, but we do get the bonus week. I also regret that I never saw the actual unit I "bought" as they stated I could always pick the view / location I wanted when I reserved.

This was a unit that was upgraded by another person. There are only two of us so we felt we did not need a bigger unit, but I question whether this has poorer trade in value. They make it sound like this will not be a problem but starting to have my doubts.

We do not vacation as much as we would like, but time is of short supply to us. We really liked the place and it is close enough (2 hr) that we could day trip up there for more use, however we would really like to use our time often at other resorts - which of course they stated was very easy to do. Advice?

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely get out. You can buy resale on ebay right now for pennies on the dollar. Also look at the bargain deals here & the classified in the marketplace.

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though you appear to be a Phillies fan, my advice is that you way overpaid, and to rescind the deal.

Better advice than that I cannot give despite your misguided team loyalty.

don

VaPhilliesFan

Reaction score
LOL DonM - I can't help where I grew up or the team I support - went throught many lean years. Besides could not think of another username. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming. We thanks you in advance!

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL DonM - I can't help where I grew up or the team I support - went throught many lean years. Besides could not think of another username. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming. We thanks you in advance!

Despite being a Yankee fan myself- I feel your pain. We haven't won the series since 2009!

I also root for teams in other sports that rarely win- so I really do understand team loyalty. One is compelled to root for the home team- to change loyalties just for the sake of rooting for a winning team is ridiculous.

Did you check Ebay for One bedroom Woodstone completed sales? My guess is that you could get something similar for pennies!

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind and take some time to figure out what you really want and need. Timeshares are easy to buy, but can be difficult to get rid of if you change your mind.

Don't forget that renting timeshares is also an option.

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm betting you hugely over paid as it's an every other year timeshare being you said 'Ownership type (odd)' in original post. Rescind then research before you buy again. Timeshare sales people are not known for their honesty.

Follow directions they gave to rescind exactly.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Absolutely rescind that purchase, exactly as the documents tell you to rescind.

Welcome to TUG!

I know the eBay prices look too good to be true, but they are true, at least if you stick with the bigger timeshare sellers.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind!!!!! No question!!!!

I just sold a July 4th week every year 4BR/4BA in a Deluxe Woodstone for less than $4000.

Good for you in finding TUG! Good for you in questioning whether you should get out! Good for you for doing this within the recission period! Good for you for being at the Post Office bright and early tomorrow with your signed documents! ;)

I've been timesharing since 1984. I've been to a few timeshare presentations. My last one was about 7 years ago at Massanutten. Never again!

Best wishes to you and, again, congratulations for finding TUG! Now get out there and rescind that contract!!!!!! :hi:

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
hi vaphilliefan..
welcome to TUG.. woodstone unit are nice indeed.. we stayed there last year the week before july 4th and really enjoyed the place.. we have stay at "mass -o-nutten" several time in the past at summitt, mountain view and wood stone.

all offer a different prospective to the kettle and or mountain area.

in doing a quick check on TUG market place in the bargain section i see four units in woodstone some going for only a dollar.

http://tug2.com/TimeshareMarketplac...tingGUID=eeaa0f1f-60c7-4907-853c-aae2553d03f9

you might want to rethink the one bed unit as it limits you down the road as the family get bigger or you want to take friends along at some point. I would suggest looking at 2 bed or 3 bed lockout units which seem to offer more TPU (trading points "lite" in RCI) than a standard one or two bed unit.

what ever you decide do get cracking on sending your rescind paperwork back asap. if they ask why just tell them you found something better for less money.. TUG..:whoopie:

have a good one and do hang around and read a lot of stuff here. :hi:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
ABSOLUTELY RESCIND - YOU CAN BUY THE SAME THING ON THE RESALE MARKET FOR A FRACTION OF THE COST!

Here is an article about rescinding - I wrote it about another resort, but everything else applies to you - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74493

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nobody loves Massanutten more than I do, I own 2 separate 4 bedroom units - 1 Woodstone, 1 Summit Hillside. It is a great place, I enjoy going a few times every year but I agree - RESCIND!!

I bought my Summit unit from a tugger for less than half what you paid - 4 bedrooms every year (actually 2-2 bedrooms) There are many deals on ebay, or right here on TUG for Massanutten units

VaPhilliesFan

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice / replies. We were away yesterday and will send out my cancellation letter tomorrow (did not have time to work on it until now). Using the samples I have seen and just figuring out how to formally address it - not that I think that is a big deal. Does anyone know how long does it take to get some sort of response that it is being cancelled? They just basically say to send a letter to Seller or its agent "ABC" by certified mail. Should I send it to both to be safe?

Thanks for all the PM and emails I have gotten. We are going more research on timeshares before stepping into this commitment again! Sorry in advance if we don't reply - we want to know what we are talking about before we leap again.

Thanks again and we will look over all the great info on this site in this process.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
as long as its certified mail to address they have provided you should be OK..

have a good day and again welcome to TUG.. you will be loved by all.. :p

Reaction score
[Message text deleted. Advertising is NOT permitted in this forum. Please review the TUG BBS Posting Rules, especially Rule 2, Paragraphs 4 and 6, before posting again. Makai Guy, TUG BBS Administrator]

Last edited by a moderator:

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the OP talks about "previous owner" in their post. That leads me to believe that this was a resale purchase; do the same rights of recission exist in a resale purchase?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point and good question...

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the OP talks about "previous owner" in their post. That leads me to believe that this was a resale purchase; do the same rights of recission exist in a resale purchase?

I noticed and wondered about that very same point.
Contract rescission time periods (as provided by state law) do not apply to private resales.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
The Moving Lips Of The Timeshare Sellers.

Sometimes the timeshare sellers offer what they say is a lower priced "foreclosure" unit if they can't get the prospects to spring for a "new" timeshare unit. In that case, there could be an actual or mythical "previous owner."

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, for that price, they are talking developer sales. Make believe it is a bargain.

catcher24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Posted by DonM:
Despite being a Yankee fan myself- I feel your pain. We haven't won the series since 2009!

Oh, boo hoo hoo.:bawl: I really feel bad for you Yankee fans; what suffering you must go through. ;) You should try being a Cleveland Indians fan. That loss to the Marlins in 97 still hurts, and the Indians haven't won a championship in my lifetime - and I'm 60 years old!:wall: But thankfully I'm not a Cubs fan!!:)

VaPhilliesFan, definitely rescind. Massanutten must have changed those Casa de Campo units. I bought one five years ago for $5500, but they were triannual then, so I would get use of it only once very three years. Thankfully, we decided to rescind. Let me tell you in advance that you will probably not hear from the seller. After we had rescinded, we waited a couple of weeks to hear something from the seller. Then we received a bill for our annual maintenance fee! After four certified letters (with self addressed, stamped envelopes included) and four long distance phone calls, still no written verification of our rescission. Finally, on the fifth long distance phone call, my wife got a verbal statement that the contract was indeed rescinded. I still have all of the paperwork. I should also note that about a year later, I purchased a four bedroom, four bath Woodstone Deluxe unit (which can be locked out for two, two bedroom units), with biannual usage, for $1600. So keep looking. You'll have no trouble finding a very nice unit at Massanutten for pennies on the dollar.

VaPhilliesFan

Reaction score
Ok - we sent the certified letter and got the return receipt yesterday. There was a signature but no printed name on the form. The above reply makes me worry if this is settled. Does anyone have experience that suggest that this is over for us with only one letter? We am trying to avoid going up there on Saturday. We asked for a written confirmation that we rescinded our offer. Should we wait, send more letters or go up there? Sorry to keep asking for advice.

Just goes to show that a lot of stupid effects you for a long time...

catcher24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok - we sent the certified letter and got the return receipt yesterday. There was a signature but no printed name on the form. The above reply makes me worry if this is settled. Does anyone have experience that suggest that this is over for us with only one letter? We am trying to avoid going up there on Saturday. We asked for a written confirmation that we rescinded our offer. Should we wait, send more letters or go up there? Sorry to keep asking for advice.

Just goes to show that a lot of stupid effects you for a long time...

We had the same concern. As mentioned in my prior post, it took four written requests and four phone calls before we even got a verbal answer. We never did receive a written confirmation,:shrug: but other than the first year's maintenance fee statement, we never received anything further or heard anything more about the unit. I do still have the paperwork, however, just in case! I think as long as you got the proper paperwork sent out in time, you'll be OK with it. When (if) you receive the billing for the maintenance fee (we got ours about four weeks after the original contract signing - there sure was no delay about that!), simply send a letter advising them that you rescinded the contract, along with copies of your paperwork. That's what we did and as mentioned we never heard anything more. Good luck, and believe me you did the right thing. If you still want to own at Massanutten, there will be units available at resale prices, either here or on Ebay.:wave:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're covered.

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, boo hoo hoo.:bawl: I really feel bad for you Yankee fans; what suffering you must go through. ;) You should try being a Cleveland Indians fan. That loss to the Marlins in 97 still hurts, and the Indians haven't won a championship in my lifetime - and I'm 60 years old!:wall: But thankfully I'm not a Cubs fan!!:)

Everything in life is relative- for a Yankee fan we're in a slump. We historically win about 25% on the time, and for this decade we are behind the curve.

For a Cleveland fan- you're pretty much hitting your average?

catcher24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything in life is relative- for a Yankee fan we're in a slump. We historically win about 25% on the time, and for this decade we are behind the curve.

For a Cleveland fan- you're pretty much hitting your average?

Well, actually no. They won twice from 1901 to 1948, hence one every 24 years. None since then (63 years and counting).