• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What kind of deal did I get?

ching

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,

I recently signed with HGVC at the Grand Waikikian and would like to get some feedback on the purchase we made (still time to rescind offer). This was purchased directly with the developer.

We were quoted a price of $39,999 for 9300 points for a 1 bedroom plus platinum for this purchase. MF $1068. We have paid the 10% and closing costs so far.

We love Hawaii and would consider an annual vacation at the HHV. We do not have much travel restriction other than travel will happen in the months of April, August or December, and NOT the busy summer months.

Based on this information, what kind of deal have we signed up for and is there another way we can still stay at the HGVC Grand Waikikian without having to pay into this particular tower? The prices seems high.

I've tried to look for a similar purchases through resales and have found very limited inventory with with HHGV Grand Waikikian.

ALSO, IF we decide to rescind, which is within 7 days, does the letter need to be delivered within that time, or just dated stamped certified mail within that time?

Thanks for all responses!

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi Ching,

I don't know HGVC very well but the price you paid is way too high. Cancel when you still can and follow the instructions provided by the developer carefully. You can definitely find better deals on the resale market.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Definitely rescind while you still can. You'll never have this rescission opportunity again once the time passes.

Since you question whether or not this was a good purchase, you need to spend some time doing some research. You've come to the right place.

Take your time. No matter what the salesman told you, the deal you got will still be there. After you've done your research, if you still think that's the best deal you can make, you can always buy then after you've become an informed buyer.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are currently 16 HGVC packages on ebay. Rescind, do some research, buy resale.

There is a wealth of information on these forums.

Welcome!

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've tried to look for a similar purchases through resales and have found very limited inventory with with HHGV Grand Waikikian.

ALSO, IF we decide to rescind, which is within 7 days, does the letter need to be delivered within that time, or just dated stamped certified mail within that time?

You're correct to note that there are very few resales for the Grand Waikikian. This is one of HGVC newest developments so the resale market has not really developed yet. That said, HGVC points at any other resort can be used at the Grand Waikikian, albeit with a bit less of a time preference (9 months vs. 12+ months). Because of this you may find that your exact dates or the exact size unit you want may not be available as those who own points at the Grand Waikikian have already reserved. That said, the experience from the users on this board has been that you can normally get what you want if you call and reserve right at nine months except for high demand holiday weeks.

The price you paid isn't horrible, but you can probably save $25-30k buying resale at another resort...just keep an eye on the yearly maintenance fees (they vary widely from resort to resort).

Bottom line is that you should rescind NOW and research as much as you can. If for some reason you decide you really want he Grand Waikikian deal you just bought, they will be more than happy to sell it to you again at the same price.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please follow the advice given here and save yourself THOUSANDS of Dollars, by RESCINDING and buying RESALE!

This comes from someone who only found out about the resale market and TUG, before it was too late to rescind.

HGVC is a great system, and resale buyers have almost ALL the perks as those who bought from the developer.

Rescind and take your time exploring your options. You will be happy when you find a GW unit on the resale market.

Brkian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, rescind immediately, and follow the instructions very carefully, document your efforts.

As a price point comparison, I recently closed on a resale at HGVC Vegas Strip, 9600 points, 3br penthouse platinum, with M&T of $925 (+$114 dues), for a tick under $13k (that figure included 2011 M&T and all closing fees). Comparing my apples to your apples: You are paying $28k+ more for 300 less points. For that price, you gain only the right to book rooms at HHV GW 3 months earlier than me. (12 vs 9).

I make this comparison only to illustrate the benefit of rescinding and purchasing resale. I own 2 HGVC and am closing soon on a third. It's a great program, just be sure to buy in at a price point that you will be satisfied with upon reflection.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
rescind, rescind, rescind, rescind Now!!!

Once you do that, you will be like :whoopie:
HGVC salerperson will be like: :annoyed: :wall: