• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My New Purchase WKORV

babamike

Reaction score
You need to ask them exactly who is holding Escrow, because Elite Resort Transfers is in Orlando. By law, escrow on a Hawaii TS must be held in Hawaii.

Looks like it will go to MTR Escrow, here is another thread about their service:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=774554

Not sure how they going to do it but im sure from the reviews they do this every day and are very good at it.

Mike

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That is an old thread, and this is a new law. If MTR Escrow is not a licensed escrow service in Hawaii, it's not legal. You need to ask them which escrow service in Hawaii they use, and you should be sending the money directly to the escrow Acct. If you are sending it to the seller - there is no escrow.

Here is a summary:

The Governor recently signed the SB 2921 bill into law which states all escrow or escrow depository, for all Hawaii real esate transactions, are to be handled by a licensed Hawaii company effective July 1, 2010. This includes timeshares. The bill states
No person shall act as an escrow depository from an out-of-state location for property located in this state unless licensed to act as a Hawaii escrow depository by the commissioner. "SB2921 HDI

This will affect Mainland based escrow agencies handling Hawaii timeshare closings.

Last edited:

babamike

Reaction score
That is an old thread, and this is a new law. If MTR Escrow is not a licensed escrow service in Hawaii, it's not legal. You need to ask them which escrow service in Hawaii they use, and you should be sending the money directly to the escrow Acct. If you are sending it to the seller - there is no escrow.

Here is a summary:

Thanks for the information, I will promptly ask if their Escrow company complies under the new law. I don't think Im sending the money to the seller. I haven't seen the invoice yet.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

babamike

Reaction score
The eBay item says it's unit 221008, week 34. Not a big deal, as they're both ocean view 2BR units...

Yes i noticed, looks like they used older template. Oh well Im getting a better unit lol they are all the same i guess it really depends on what they give you upon check in.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh well Im getting a better unit lol

Doesn't matter -- you won't get the actual deeded unit (unless you paid an extra 10% over retail originally to fix the unit number).

Important thing is that it's still the right size unit, view category, and season (which doesn't matter at WKORV/N, since they're all Platinum+...)

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I will promptly ask if their Escrow company complies under the new law. I don't think Im sending the money to the seller. I haven't seen the invoice yet.

Be careful. As a Canadian citizen you will be subject to FIRPTA and HARPTA if/when you sell. US and Hawaii tax returns must be filed to retrieve the withholding.
Nothing new about that. But, the new Hawaii escrow law was, in part, put in place to insure that Hawaii taxes were paid. When you sell they will match the original purchase data with the sale info to verify the validity of the refund.
If your purchase was not escrowed in Hawaii, the fine is $5,000.

Of course, the other reason for the new law is to feed Hawaii-based title/escrow companies. They are taxed on their business revenues.
Some mainland closing agents are (for now) simply ignoring the Hawaii law. As Hawaii regulators get up to speed on their audit activities of these transactions, the dung will hit the fan. The violating closing agents will be fined the $5,000, per transaction.
You do not want to have an open escrow with such a closing agent if/when that happens.

To be clear, I am not saying that your closing agent is violating the current Hawaii law. Just be aware of the potential complications.

Last edited:

babamike

Reaction score
Can someone post a link to the new Hawaii escrow law? I have to send this to the closing company. They said they are not aware of it...strange.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Can someone post a link to the new Hawaii escrow law? I have to send this to the closing company. They said they are not aware of it...strange.

That's what I was afraid of... And frankly - I don't believe them.

babamike

Reaction score
Yes thanks I had found the same link through google. I sent it in, see what they say. My guess is they will still say "its ok we do this everyday" So which other transfer company I can suggest to the seller?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Old Republic Title in Honolulu has a timeshare division and they do these closings efficiently. But expensively; expect $800-$1,000 for what would cost half as much in most other places.

babamike

Reaction score
so let me get this straight, all the timeshares that are sold right now are going to through HI escrow? 100's get sold everyday, I doubt even 2% are going through proper avenue. Does it affect me more because I'm Canadian?

Mike

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
See Fred's post above (#32) He is in the business and knows what he is talking about.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
so let me get this straight, all the timeshares that are sold right now are going to through HI escrow? 100's get sold everyday, I doubt even 2% are going through proper avenue. Does it affect me more because I'm Canadian?

Another thing to check on is the signing requirements.

We had to travel down to a US-based notary to do the paperwork on our second unit from WKORV/N because we weren't on-site there at the time of purchase (like we were on our first). Luckily we were on our way down to San Francisco anyways, so we made arrangements there.

If this is still the case, the easiest thing for you might be to drive across to Point Roberts by the ferries (only a few minutes at the border crossing) -- there's a notary in town there who does this type of stuff all the time...

This wasn't a requirement on our SVR or WLR units -- we were able to just sign here and send in the paperwork from home.

babamike

Reaction score
Wow this seems to get easier by the minute lol. I had already signed (online) and returned all their paperwork yesterday. Havent sent the money yet because of all this this. They are looking into it and see how they can do it 100% proper. At this time they closing company is waiting to hear back from their legal adviser, they let me know what needs to be done.
If i need to travel across the border for this not a big deal, my tundra can always use some cheap gas ;-)

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow this seems to get easier by the minute lol.

Welcome to the joys of "je suis Canadien" when dealing with US-based transactions.

If i need to travel across the border for this not a big deal, my tundra can always use some cheap gas ;-)

Tell me about it -- I just paid $1.26/L this morning to fill up with premium. That's $4.79USD/gallon for those of you south of the border. I think that's going for around $3.40/gallon in Bellingham...

babamike

Reaction score
I actually live 15 minutes from the boarder "South Surrey" I also have a nexus pass so crossing border is like a drive through, no biggy.

Oh yes the gas is $3.29 in Blaine.

I just saw some ebay sellers are using following company:
http://www.tghawaii.com/

I have forwarded this link to the seller hope we can use these guys instead.

Thanks for your advice fredm.

And btw still have to pass ROFR...what a joy.

Last edited:

paluamalia

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
Congratulations

After some debate about my previous purchase of HRA I took TUG members advice and canceled that transaction.
Just bought Westin Kaanapali Ocean View 2BR LO for 11K including all the closing costs from "sellingtimeguys" I'm happy with the purchase and love that resort. Anything I should know about the closings or paperwork? Again thanks everyone.

Congratulations!! Did you buy an EOY or annual? We have had the Starwood Amex card for 8 years and have not bought an airline ticket in all that time..wait for the promotion when they offer you 20 - 30 thousand points.
Good luck and welcome to the WKORV family!!

Marie

babamike

Reaction score
Congratulations!! Did you buy an EOY or annual? We have had the Starwood Amex card for 8 years and have not bought an airline ticket in all that time..wait for the promotion when they offer you 20 - 30 thousand points.
Good luck and welcome to the WKORV family!!

Marie
Hi Marie, its annual use. So if I spend around 70K a year on the card, do you think starpoints are worth more than 1400 cash? or I guess it depends on how you use the points.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
70,000 Starpoints = 87,500 airline miles on most airlines.

You could use those miles to buy tickets for your trips to Hawaii.

I am guessing that from your location, airfare for 2 is more than $1,400?

babamike

Reaction score
70,000 Starpoints = 87,500 airline miles on most airlines.

You could use those miles to buy tickets for your trips to Hawaii.

I am guessing that from your location, airfare for 2 is more than $1,400?

Thats a very good comparison. Looks like it works out to be the same, if I fly from Seattle its usually around $500 a ticket. Flying from Vancouver Canada is around $700, TBH I've never done much of research about airmiles I always thought their system was way to complicated where flying to Maui uses 50K miles versus 30K during sale/slow period. To me miles are miles, maui is always at the same distance. May be I'm confusing with point system.
That was the reason I stuck with cashback for all these years, I didnt want to deal with all those crazy booking restrictions.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I used 80K Mileage Plus (UA) miles to fly RT/NS SFO-OGG (2 passengers) on the UA flights we wanted (leave Sat morning, depart Sat afternoon) - for a flight in 3 weeks - that I reserved about 8 months ago. Since I am Premier Exec for MP - I got to choose Economy Plus seating. These planes have 2-5-2 seat configurations - perfect for us.

Good example of how you can get to HI cheaply with some pre-planning (a benefit for thosing TSing...). I put the price of miles (for me - maybe not for you...) at 1.3 cents per mile - so this was a very good deal. Right now we have ~300K SPs (mainly from AMEX SPG) and ~200K MP miles, but limited vacation time. :(