• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What should I buy?

Sonicblaze

Reaction score
Looking at getting our first timeshare! Had a great deal on an hgvc that got rofr'd, so back to the beginning. This time I figured Id ask for recommendations and suggestions =)

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?
I dont think we really care, as we really want travel around more than 1 standard place.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Trade definitely

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Las Vegas
Disney?
Someplace to snow ski
Central region places

4) How many people do you usually travel with?
Just my wife and I

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
Pretty flexible

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Yes, at least right now we can, but maybe in the future itll be harder if we start fostering
7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
We'd prefer to break it up to 2 or 3 short vacations
8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
Everyone prefers a 5, but good with a 3
9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
Not a ton, Id like to buy resell and stay under 1500 off the bat if possible

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
1k-ish

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Absolutely

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes, and thats why we'd prefer to not go crazy all-in finance wise off the bat

Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated!

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Las Vegas
Disney?
Someplace to snow ski
Central region places
Have you looked at Worldmark resort locations? Would these locations be of interest to you?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Las Vegas
Disney?
Someplace to snow ski
Central region places

Las Vegas, and many central regions are easy trades.

Disney is difficult and you must have an RCI affiliated resorts.

Ski resorts are also more difficult to trade for.

You might want to look for a home resort that is an RCI affiliated ski resort.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You said Disney. Do you mean an on site Disney Vacation club resort (which is a relatively hard trade) or would a nice resort a 10 min or less drive suffice (relatively easy trade)?

Sonicblaze

Reaction score
Preferably onsite. I know they can be hard to come by, but at least having the chance of that trade would be good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Preferably onsite. I know they can be hard to come by, but at least having the chance of that trade would be good.

Anaheim or Orlando? Orlando has lots and lots of timeshares and are usually easy trades if you don't mind off site. You can book at back up in whatever system you own and try for a trade into Disney. Anaheim has only a few other timeshares in the area so trades there are more limited.

You referenced fostering as a possibility so does that mean you will need school holidays in the future? This is probably the most important question because availability of trades or even reservations within a system are much more difficult during school vacation times than if you can travel off season. As a result, you would likely have a different strategy of what as well as how big to buy. Maybe look at a lockoff option which would give you a 2 BR when needed but also a studio and 1 BR when not.

Sue

Sonicblaze

Reaction score
I totally forgot there was two disneys! I meant Orlando. We'd prefer to stay onsite, or as I said, at least have the chance to trade into it. I know it wont always be possible, but again, I dont want to limit chances.

You make a great point about a 2br lockout. Thatd give us quite a bit of flexibility...

What are thoughts on points-only stuff, like worldmark or Wyndham? Are those worth it in a case like this?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
To get Disney properties, you will need high points - I'd try for 35 TPU or higher. I don't know how that translates with Worldmark/Wyndham.

I like Bonnet Creek in Orlando - far easier to get, and it's a Wyndham property.

Last edited:

Sonicblaze

Reaction score
I apologize, but I dont see that comment anywhere in this thread...maybe Im blind? But thank you for the info =)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sonicblaze - my apologies, I mixed you up with another poster, and I edited my post while you were posting.

Sonicblaze

Reaction score
Hah, all good =) I appreciate the info! While at Bonnet Creek, have you gone to DW? Is it an easy ride/shuttle/etc? I know I can lookup what they "say" it is, but personal experience trumps all usually

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hah, all good =) I appreciate the info! While at Bonnet Creek, have you gone to DW? Is it an easy ride/shuttle/etc? I know I can lookup what they "say" it is, but personal experience trumps all usually

It is literally next to Epcot, but the area is not designed for walking, and there is a fee for the resort shuttle, so may be more cost effective to rent a car.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
To get Disney properties, you will need high points - I'd try for 35 TPU or higher. I don't know how that translates with Worldmark/Wyndham.

I like Bonnet Creek in Orlando - far easier to get, and it's a Wyndham property.

For Worldmark, there are no TPUs. When you get a trade, they take out the number of points based on the size and season of the trade. Disney is high season all year so a 2 BR would cost 10000 points.
I believe Disney is in RCI Points which is only available via a developer purchase for Worldmark owners. That's not worth the extra cost. For your purposes, check out either a RCI Points resort that will provide strong enough trade power, another point system that provides access to RCI Points for resale or buy into Disney directly.
You need to be realistic about trading. You can only trade if the owner of the week you want has decided to deposit that week into the exchange system. They can use their week, rent it out or exchange it. Look at the time of year you are likely to need that week and note how attractive it is to stay onsite. If it's a school holiday week, that owner is likely to either use it or rent it out which means there are fewer weeks to exchange into but also more people wanting that exchange. On the other hand, there are so many timeshares in Orlando that if you are willing to stay offsite, you can save a lot of money.

Sue