• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are the nicest independent Timeshares in Hawaii?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Sands of Kahana 2 and 3 bedrooms are very nice, but the fees are going up a lot every year for anything managed by Soleil. I just saw that the 3 bedrooms at Sands of Kahana with property taxes are around $2,900 per week owned. I checked this on RW to find out for our kids, who are thinking of buying something on Maui, and they do love the 3 bedrooms at SOK. I can always get them an exchange with RCI. I can usually get the 3 bedroom for less than MF's.

The three bedrooms are large, certainly, but I would bet the 2 bedrooms are not much less than $2,900. The pool is decent. The restaurant onsite has good food. The views from some units are fantastic, but every-other-year with a 2 bedroom you aren't going to get oceanfront view. You will likely get a side ocean view or a peek of the ocean with some units every-other-year. Not sure about the 3 bedrooms, but our son's family had an oceanfront unit during their stay last year.

The one bedrooms are almost all island view, and some are parking structure view. I wouldn't take a one bedroom for any price.

What is happening with maintenance fees with Soleil Management is nuts with our Hono Koa. I have complained on TUG before and people have said that is what it takes for Maui. Well, if you saw the few amenities of Hono Koa, you might also question why Hono Koa 2 bedrooms are $2.949. Why is Westin Ka'anapali 2 bedrooms ocean view or oceanfront center only $3,189 for a unit that I can lock off into two sides and rent the studios for the cost of maintenance fees?

If I had any thought of buying Sands of Kahana, I would just put in an ongoing search for a 2 or 3 bedroom unit and cross my fingers, or I would grab inventory at Sands of Kahana through RCI Points right at 10 months. II and RCI both have a lot of inventory at Sands of Kahana, you just have to enter a search or watch at 10 months.

We did walk the grounds at Hilton's Bay Club on Maui. Beautiful resort and pools. There will be twelve buildings in all, and I am hoping it comes available for exchange at some point, but we won't be buying Hilton to stay there because there are too many inexpensive opportunities to buy at Westin where we already own.

Maui Lea is a great resort but is in Kihei and few units have much of an ocean view. We love it there, however, but I wouldn't buy. You can rent from an owner on tpmaui.com
We have stayed in a number of resorts in Maui over the years. Maui Lea in 2009, Marriott Ocean Resort in 2012, Kanipali Beach Club in 2019, Sands of Kahana in 2022, HGVC in Kihei in 2022 and 2023. All have been nice resorts and nice stays. I liked the heated pools at the HGVC in Kihei and will be returning later this year.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That’s a resort I’ve been interested in so that’s good to hear. We’ve always stayed at and loved the Maui Sunset-well maintained, small and great views, though I have no idea what MFs are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maui Hill beats Maui Sunset. We stayed at Maui Sunset on a RCI trade in 1985. No interest in buying. We traded into Maui Hill in 1986 and bought immediately. We initially bought a one bedroom, then a couple of years later upgraded to a 3 bedroom. We love it.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to own a top floor studio at The Whaler on Ka'anapali - https://www.astonwhaler.com/ It's a smaller resort right in the middle of Ka'anapali Beach, next to Whaler's Village. The units are a combination of 2-week timeshare blocks and full ownership. We loved it, but sold it because having fixed weeks almost back-to-back with our fixed Cabo weeks made travel/work logistics complicated. The resort was very well run and our unit was great. I'd happily trade back into it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Sands of Kahana is a pretty easy trade. I've gotten prime weeks for exchange with RCI (points) and II.

Kahana Beach, same thing, easy trade, especially studios. The studios have had a recent update with new furniture and no more murphy beds. The bed is in the same place, and I think they should have considered a different location for the queen bed. The bed seemed very firm, which is not great at all. I would have chosen a softer mattress, but no one asked me. We have friends who own there.

The one bedrooms at Kahana Beach are really nice and worthy of the cost of buying ($0) but the annual fees are high. There is AC and oceanfront views from the units. There are only 11 1 bedrooms and I think 71 studios. I am unsure.

With Soleil Management having control of so many resorts on Maui, I don't consider these independent resorts. But it's not a hotel management company (like Westin/ Marriott/ Wyndham/ Hilton), so I guess some would consider it as independent.

The maintenance fees are outrageous, in my opinion, for what you get. Sure, we own 3 weeks at Hono Koa (two bedroom) oceanfront, and it's a fabulous view, but $2,949 in MF's each year is crazy. I see ads on Redweek for $500 for the view we own, and I am not tempted to buy, I will tell you that. Three is enough for us.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
I will be in Maui in May and will try to take a look at Maui Hill. I know its a chain, but any feedback on the HGVC Maui?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
What about Maui Schooner?
We own there and it's low maintenance fees, large rooms, no frills but chairs and coolers, boogie boards and kids beach toys are provided. It's on the ocean but not swimmable. It goes well as an add on to our Hyatt and Westin Kaanapali stays and allows us to experience both sides of the island

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I will be in Maui in May and will try to take a look at Maui Hill. I know its a chain, but any feedback on the HGVC Maui?

The HGVC on Maui is Maui Bay Villas. I'm guessing the units are nice, but not a location of Kihei that I would want to stay in. I like the far south end. The area where the Maui Bay Villas are had some bad flooding this year (as they are prone to having) and the road was closed for a few days. It is located where the old Maui Lu resort was. Here is an article about the take over. Looks like Maui Lu was torn down in 2014 or 2015 with building expected to start soon and open in 2017. Don't think that happened.

BoBird1314

TUG Member
Reaction score
i was looking at Sands of Kahana. For me I liked smaller locations that are very well maintained. I don’t need lots of on-site amenities.
We own timeshares on Maui (Maui Banyan, Kihei [Soliel Management] ), the Big Island (Paniolo Greens, Waikoloa Village [Shell Vacation Club] and Kona Hawaiian Village by the Sea, Kona [Wyndham] ), and Kauai (Lawai Beach Resort, Banyan Building, and Point at Poipu [recently acquired by Hilton Vacation Club] ). Favorite resort that should meet what you are looking for is Maui Banyan, with Lawaii Beach resort second, but we are happy enough with each of the other resorts.
Maui Banyan is in South Kihei and we own one annual, one biennial odd, and one biennial even unit (so, two weeks on Maui each year; or up to four weeks if we wanted to use the lock-off option). The resort is right across South Kihei Road from a good beach, within walking distance of two other excellent beaches, within easy walking distance of numerous places to eat, within walking distance of a natural food market, within longer walking distance of the Kihei Small Boats Harbor (snorkeling trips), etc. The resort has approximately 176 units (managed by Aston), but only 18 of the units are timeshare units. Some of the timeshare units are much more desirable than others and I have stayed there seven times and, as an owner, have always been assigned one of the more desirable units. Soliel Management owns the timeshare units, but because the board of directors is controlled by the privately owned units, the annual fees are lower than for any of the other Soliel Management resorts on Maui (much lower than for Sands of Kahana). The timeshare units are two bedrooms, two bathrooms (one bedroom and a lock-off studio), with full kitchen and washer/dryer in the one bedroom and kitchenette in the studio, etc. Interiors of the Soliel timeshare units are reasonably well maintained. The Aston maintained pools, BBQs, and commons grounds, are very well maintained. The Aston maintained building exteriors (including lanais) and hallways vary in how well they are maintained. Went to an open house during our stay last week for a privately owned unit that had the same floor plan as the Soliel timeshare units, but much nicer amenities and better views of the ocean, that had an asking price of $1,595,000. Interval Interntional "get away" prices for the Aston managed units during desirable months go from the high $3,000s to mid $4,000s and those units vary considerably in amenities and how well they are maintained. Resort amenities are not extensive -- two pools with BBQ areas, one tennis court, and parking (limited covered spaces).
Paniolo Greens is a Shell Vacation Club Resort (which is owned by Wyndham). We own a deeded biennial even year unit. The biggest advantage of owning a deeded unit is that you are a member of the Waikoloa Village Homeowners Association and, if you are a golfer, you get homeowner's green fees, which saves a lot of money. An advantage of being an owner, as opposed to trading in, is that some of the two bedroom units actually are two bedroom, one den, three bathroom units, where the den has been converted into a third bedroom. As an owner you can request one of those units in advance and it doesn't cost extra (we have always got one of the three bedroom, three bathroom units). We much prefer the units overlooking the championship golf course as opposed to the limited number of units looking down the volcano that get considerably more road noise. Last time I checked, Paniolo Greens had the lowest annual fees of any gold crown resort in Hawaii. Part of the reason for that is that it is almost 1,000 feet up the volcano so has lower maintenance costs than resorts near the ocean. Another reason is that the privately owned units control the board of directors and keep the maintenance fees as low as possible while maintaining the resort's amenities. Paniolo Greens serves fine as a base from which to explore the Big Island. It is within reasonable driving distance of the best beaches on the Big Island and there is an acceptable grocery store and a couple of decent restaurants nearby. Amenities are okay -- large pool and jacuzzi, numerous well-maintained BBQs scattered around the property, a small (nominal) workout room, tennis court, beach equipment available for cheap rental. Maintenance is acceptable. Just acquired Kona Hawaiian Village by the Sea (visited in 2022) and have yet to stay there, so can't really offer any useful information. We acquired a biennial even years deeded unit through TUG that dates back to before the resort was acquired by Wyndham (so two weeks on the Big Island every even year). Only disadvantage to having a pre-Wyndham ownership that we experienced was that we had to telephone (put on hold) to make a reservation and could not go through the Wyndham website.
Have stayed twice at Lawaii Beach Resort. The Banyan and Alii Buildings are the more desirable of the resorts' four buildings, in my opinion. We own a biennial odd years unit in the Banyan building. Very well maintained and the resort has an excellent staff. Both the Banyan and Alii buildings have great 180 degree views of the ocean from the living room and lanai on the floors above the ground floor. Don't know about the Alii building, but the Banyan building does not have air conditioning. We have not found this to be much of an issue in our two visits (October and December). The "beach" across the non-busy road is minimal, even at low tide, but has some of the best snorkeling on Kauai (snorkeling tours go there). The Beach House restaurant is across the street and has excellent food and views. Amenities are pretty good -- nice pools with BBQs, roof-top mini-golf, indoor rec area, plenty of parking. Have only stayed once at the Point at Poipu (was an Embassy, then Sunterra, then Diamond, now Hilton Vacation Club). We own an oceanfront, two bedroom, two bathroom biennial odd unit (so two weeks each odd year on Kauai). When we stayed there last October, Hilton was is the process of upgrading the first of the resort's buildings to "Hilton standards" with the reconstruction equipment going by our unit every few minutes (lots of noise and traffic). Our corner unit was just fine, but you could see plenty of examples of deferred maintenance on the exteriors of buildings going back to its days as a Diamond resort. Has one odd-shaped central pool that is rather shallow, but there are jacuzzi's and BBQs separate from the main pool that we regularly used, that were well maintained. We did like the small restaurant/bar (with TVs showing football games) adjacent to the main pool. The resort also has a decent work out room and plenty of parking.

GoPokes!

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
Maui Banyan Vacation Club
Palace View by Spinnaker
We own timeshares on Maui (Maui Banyan, Kihei [Soliel Management] ), the Big Island (Paniolo Greens, Waikoloa Village [Shell Vacation Club] and Kona Hawaiian Village by the Sea, Kona [Wyndham] ), and Kauai (Lawai Beach Resort, Banyan Building, and Point at Poipu [recently acquired by Hilton Vacation Club] ). Favorite resort that should meet what you are looking for is Maui Banyan, with Lawaii Beach resort second, but we are happy enough with each of the other resorts.
Maui Banyan is in South Kihei and we own one annual, one biennial odd, and one biennial even unit (so, two weeks on Maui each year; or up to four weeks if we wanted to use the lock-off option). The resort is right across South Kihei Road from a good beach, within walking distance of two other excellent beaches, within easy walking distance of numerous places to eat, within walking distance of a natural food market, within longer walking distance of the Kihei Small Boats Harbor (snorkeling trips), etc. The resort has approximately 176 units (managed by Aston), but only 18 of the units are timeshare units. Some of the timeshare units are much more desirable than others and I have stayed there seven times and, as an owner, have always been assigned one of the more desirable units. Soliel Management owns the timeshare units, but because the board of directors is controlled by the privately owned units, the annual fees are lower than for any of the other Soliel Management resorts on Maui (much lower than for Sands of Kahana). The timeshare units are two bedrooms, two bathrooms (one bedroom and a lock-off studio), with full kitchen and washer/dryer in the one bedroom and kitchenette in the studio, etc. Interiors of the Soliel timeshare units are reasonably well maintained. The Aston maintained pools, BBQs, and commons grounds, are very well maintained. The Aston maintained building exteriors (including lanais) and hallways vary in how well they are maintained. Went to an open house during our stay last week for a privately owned unit that had the same floor plan as the Soliel timeshare units, but much nicer amenities and better views of the ocean, that had an asking price of $1,595,000. Interval Interntional "get away" prices for the Aston managed units during desirable months go from the high $3,000s to mid $4,000s and those units vary considerably in amenities and how well they are maintained. Resort amenities are not extensive -- two pools with BBQ areas, one tennis court, and parking (limited covered spaces).
Paniolo Greens is a Shell Vacation Club Resort (which is owned by Wyndham). We own a deeded biennial even year unit. The biggest advantage of owning a deeded unit is that you are a member of the Waikoloa Village Homeowners Association and, if you are a golfer, you get homeowner's green fees, which saves a lot of money. An advantage of being an owner, as opposed to trading in, is that some of the two bedroom units actually are two bedroom, one den, three bathroom units, where the den has been converted into a third bedroom. As an owner you can request one of those units in advance and it doesn't cost extra (we have always got one of the three bedroom, three bathroom units). We much prefer the units overlooking the championship golf course as opposed to the limited number of units looking down the volcano that get considerably more road noise. Last time I checked, Paniolo Greens had the lowest annual fees of any gold crown resort in Hawaii. Part of the reason for that is that it is almost 1,000 feet up the volcano so has lower maintenance costs than resorts near the ocean. Another reason is that the privately owned units control the board of directors and keep the maintenance fees as low as possible while maintaining the resort's amenities. Paniolo Greens serves fine as a base from which to explore the Big Island. It is within reasonable driving distance of the best beaches on the Big Island and there is an acceptable grocery store and a couple of decent restaurants nearby. Amenities are okay -- large pool and jacuzzi, numerous well-maintained BBQs scattered around the property, a small (nominal) workout room, tennis court, beach equipment available for cheap rental. Maintenance is acceptable. Just acquired Kona Hawaiian Village by the Sea (visited in 2022) and have yet to stay there, so can't really offer any useful information. We acquired a biennial even years deeded unit through TUG that dates back to before the resort was acquired by Wyndham (so two weeks on the Big Island every even year). Only disadvantage to having a pre-Wyndham ownership that we experienced was that we had to telephone (put on hold) to make a reservation and could not go through the Wyndham website.
Have stayed twice at Lawaii Beach Resort. The Banyan and Alii Buildings are the more desirable of the resorts' four buildings, in my opinion. We own a biennial odd years unit in the Banyan building. Very well maintained and the resort has an excellent staff. Both the Banyan and Alii buildings have great 180 degree views of the ocean from the living room and lanai on the floors above the ground floor. Don't know about the Alii building, but the Banyan building does not have air conditioning. We have not found this to be much of an issue in our two visits (October and December). The "beach" across the non-busy road is minimal, even at low tide, but has some of the best snorkeling on Kauai (snorkeling tours go there). The Beach House restaurant is across the street and has excellent food and views. Amenities are pretty good -- nice pools with BBQs, roof-top mini-golf, indoor rec area, plenty of parking. Have only stayed once at the Point at Poipu (was an Embassy, then Sunterra, then Diamond, now Hilton Vacation Club). We own an oceanfront, two bedroom, two bathroom biennial odd unit (so two weeks each odd year on Kauai). When we stayed there last October, Hilton was is the process of upgrading the first of the resort's buildings to "Hilton standards" with the reconstruction equipment going by our unit every few minutes (lots of noise and traffic). Our corner unit was just fine, but you could see plenty of examples of deferred maintenance on the exteriors of buildings going back to its days as a Diamond resort. Has one odd-shaped central pool that is rather shallow, but there are jacuzzi's and BBQs separate from the main pool that we regularly used, that were well maintained. We did like the small restaurant/bar (with TVs showing football games) adjacent to the main pool. The resort also has a decent work out room and plenty of parking.
Nice writeup on Maui Banyan! We have owned at WKORV for a few years, but last year we bought at Maui Banyan (eBay) and will be staying there for the first time this week, followed by our week at WKORV. Our daughter and husband actually checked in yesterday to the Maui Banyan, and we will be arriving on Tuesday. She reported the unit is nice, except she thought the bathrooms are small. Compared to the Westin they do appear small, but for me that will be fine. Our intent in purchasing here was to be able to stay in the Kihei area without spending a whole lot of money. Based on feedback from my daughter, I think we made a good purchase. I guess I will see for myself this week. Here are some pics my daughter took yesterday upon arrival.

Attachments

• IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 39

djaneczko

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice writeup on Maui Banyan! We have owned at WKORV for a few years, but last year we bought at Maui Banyan (eBay) and will be staying there for the first time this week, followed by our week at WKORV. Our daughter and husband actually checked in yesterday to the Maui Banyan, and we will be arriving on Tuesday. She reported the unit is nice, except she thought the bathrooms are small. Compared to the Westin they do appear small, but for me that will be fine. Our intent in purchasing here was to be able to stay in the Kihei area without spending a whole lot of money. Based on feedback from my daughter, I think we made a good purchase. I guess I will see for myself this week. Here are some pics my daughter took yesterday upon arrival.
For sure the BoBird's writeup is intriguing. Love to know your thoughts after you visit. Did you buy a floating week? I understand that they have a Holiday Season that is fixed week during Christmas and New Years.

djaneczko

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, can any owner at Maui Banyon comment on the floating weeks, are the different priorities (Platinum, Gold, …) in the market and I’m not sure…I have searched and can not find any info on that.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Are any of these independent TS’s air conditioned?

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Per II
The following have air conditioning:

Paniolo Greens
Maui Banyan,
Halii Kai at Waikoloa
Point at Poipu

The following do not have air conditioning:

Lawai Beach Resort
Sands of Kahana

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Also per II
The following have air conditioning (note that you can use the II advanced search and check the air conditioning box criteria for the search in Hawaiian Islands.)

Hanalei Bay Resort
The Kona Coast Resort I and II
Maui Schooner

The following don't:

Cliffs Club
Maui Beach Vacation