• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Avon gondola experience

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who skis give me some info on how well the gondola access works? It looks like a gondola to a lift to mid mountain. When we have true ski in ski out my family comes back for lunch then heads out again- how long and much of a hassle would it be if staying at the Westin in Avon?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I've only been there in summer and I'm not a skiing aficionado but it seemed pretty close and easy access to me. However, if you want to use the TS villas during ski season you'll probably have to own there as there are so few.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
I typically ski there 20 days a year, always using the gondola. It works great. The loading area is right at the Westin, so just steps to get on from there. It’s also less than a 10 minute walk from the Sheraton. There is seldom a line to get on. At the top of the gondola it is just steps again to get on the chair to go up. From there one can either ski Bachelors Gulch or immediately take another chair towards the main Beaver Creek ski area. Be aware you have to ski down the run “Leave the Beav” which is essentially a road from the base of Bachelor Gulch, so it takes a while to get there if skiing above the main base. So if coming back for lunch you may want to plan to be in the area.

Usually Beaver Creek will be one of the least crowded ski areas around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I typically ski there 20 days a year, always using the gondola. It works great. The loading area is right at the Westin, so just steps to get on from there. It’s also less than a 10 minute walk from the Sheraton. There is seldom a line to get on. At the top of the gondola it is just steps again to get on the chair to go up. From there one can either ski Bachelors Gulch or immediately take another chair towards the main Beaver Creek ski area. Be aware you have to ski down the run “Leave the Beav” which is essentially a road from the base of Bachelor Gulch, so it takes a while to get there if skiing above the main base. So if coming back for lunch you may want to plan to be in the area.

Usually Beaver Creek will be one of the least crowded ski areas around.

We are planning a spring break trip which is very late next year- going into the first week of April. Is there a risk that gondola closes for the season before the rest of the mountain? I am trying to decide between the Ritz Vail and Westin Avon - I assume Beaver Creek would feel less crowded? My teenage son is doing a lot of skiiing by himself these days - do you think Braver Creek would be a better place for him to be on his own? We have never skiied Vail.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
We are planning a spring break trip which is very late next year- going into the first week of April. Is there a risk that gondola closes for the season before the rest of the mountain? I am trying to decide between the Ritz Vail and Westin Avon - I assume Beaver Creek would feel less crowded? My teenage son is doing a lot of skiiing by himself these days - do you think Braver Creek would be a better place for him to be on his own? We have never skiied Vail.

There is a small risk that there might not be enough snow to ski down Leave the Beav. I’ve seen this twice in the last 20 years. In those cases they let you download the chair to get to the gondola. So I think the gondola will almost certainly be running.

Between the two resorts I’m not sure if there is a clear winner for your case, especially that late in the season and you can stay at the Ritz. Vail can get a lot more crowded and is quite vast, but crowds should be down by April. However, I would normally take BC and the Westin or Sheraton over Vail and Streamside; BC is just so much less hassle.

DagnyT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex
We were there spring break this year. Were told Gondola runs until the resort closes. This year it didn't open until right before Christmas.

If you're trying to come back for lunch, it takes... awhile. Even if Leave the Beav has enough snow to ski you down in the spring, it gets really flat and can take some time, especially if you have kids who don't keep their speed up. :) I had to drag my son the last 15 minutes down...

Anyway, getting back up also takes 20-30 minutes. You have to take the Gondola to the Lower BC Express and that takes about 5 minutes, then switch, put on skis and up the Lower BC Express is 7 minutes. Then if you shift to the Upper BC Express, that also takes 7-10 minutes.

We started bringing a ski backpack and just packing up lunch to eat at one of the outlets up mountain. Saves time.

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there spring break this year. Were told Gondola runs until the resort closes. This year it didn't open until right before Christmas.

If you're trying to come back for lunch, it takes... awhile. Even if Leave the Beav has enough snow to ski you down in the spring, it gets really flat and can take some time, especially if you have kids who don't keep their speed up. :) I had to drag my son the last 15 minutes down...

Anyway, getting back up also takes 20-30 minutes. You have to take the Gondola to the Lower BC Express and that takes about 5 minutes, then switch, put on skis and up the Lower BC Express is 7 minutes. Then if you shift to the Upper BC Express, that also takes 7-10 minutes.

We started bringing a ski backpack and just packing up lunch to eat at one of the outlets up mountain. Saves time.
Thanks for the info, I was thinking it would be too much of a hassle for lunch. I am leaning towards the Ritz Vail but Vail intimidates me a little and we loved Beaver Creek years ago. I actually have an older teen who I have to worry about going too fast, not too slow 🤦‍♀️. The accommodations and access to mountain at the Ritz seem better but I was hoping to ski Beaver Creek.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Have you considered the Ritz Bachelor Gulch. Perfect location. Amazing included spa space (pools etc).

BTW. Both Vail and Beaver Creek have lots of territory beginner to very advanced.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
The gondola is ok to start and finish the day. It is not great for going back for lunch.
There are decent places to eat on the mountain, including a sit down restaurant at the top of the Centennial lift.
The main difference between Vail and BC is that Vail excels on powder days.
Otherwise BC is very good skiing.

Daytripz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Willow Ridge
Breckenridge Grand
We are planning a spring break trip which is very late next year- going into the first week of April.

If you will be there the first part of April, and you drink wine, you may want to get tickets to Taste of Vail. If you snag tickets in the fall, the cost is reasonable and it is a great event. We are heading up on Wednesday and staying at the Sheraton just for this event. (Also, my husband does not drink but he does eat - and the food has been fantastic as well.)

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
Thanks for the info, I was thinking it would be too much of a hassle for lunch. I am leaning towards the Ritz Vail but Vail intimidates me a little and we loved Beaver Creek years ago. I actually have an older teen who I have to worry about going too fast, not too slow . The accommodations and access to mountain at the Ritz seem better but I was hoping to ski Beaver Creek.

I would go where you want to ski. Vail isn’t exactly compact and quick to get around either. Both are great places but have their unique pluses and minuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the Ritz Bachelor Gulch. Perfect location. Amazing included spa space (pools etc).

BTW. Both Vail and Beaver Creek have lots of territory beginner to very advanced.
That does sound like it would fit my goals but I don’t think I can use Marriott or Vistana timeshares to reserve there. I was able to reserve the Ritz with Marriott destination points after converting my Westin timeshare.

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you will be there the first part of April, and you drink wine, you may want to get tickets to Taste of Vail. If you snag tickets in the fall, the cost is reasonable and it is a great event. We are heading up on Wednesday and staying at the Sheraton just for this event. (Also, my husband does not drink but he does eat - and the food has been fantastic as well.)
I will look into that - thanks!

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go where you want to ski. Vail isn’t exactly compact and quick to get around either. Both are great places but have their unique pluses and minuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks- I guess they are all good options. I am driving myself crazy for no reason. We will have a great time wherever we end up. I think my biggest problem is that I hate my teenager going off on his own for too long.