• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Resale HELP

Designerd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a friend interested in buying a resale from Westgate. I have seen a few posts regarding restrictions and/or fees that the RESALE owner incurs.

- Can someone tell me the PROs and CONs of buying a Westgate timeshare through resale?
- What should you look for when buying a resale?
- She definitely would like a floating week and ability to visit other resorts.
- What is the fee structure to go to other Westgate results that are not your home resort?
- Any other information that you should know before buying..

Thanks in advance!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're asking pretty broad questions. First, I don't understand 'buying a resale from Westgate'. If it's from Westgate it's like any other of their weeks. The fact that the deed had originally been in someone else's name seems immaterial. If it's a resale Westgate week, purchased from someone else (the owner or some broker) they strip the ability to book until something like 60 days from move-in. They disallow upgrading unit sizes and some of their resorts are not allowed to be booked by resale buyers.

In short, STAY AWAY- FAR-FAR AWAY FROM WASTEGATE! I just can't overstate this. They are the worst of the worst.

Jim

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Any TUGGER know how Westgate treats fixed week resales?

Hello,
I have a friend interested in buying a resale from Westgate. I have seen a few posts regarding restrictions and/or fees that the RESALE owner incurs.

- Can someone tell me the PROs and CONs of buying a Westgate timeshare through resale?
- What should you look for when buying a resale?
- She definitely would like a floating week and ability to visit other resorts.
- What is the fee structure to go to other Westgate results that are not your home resort?
- Any other information that you should know before buying..

Thanks in advance!
As Jim said - Westgate limits advanced booking on resale float weeks .

I am curious - I see Westgate fixed weeks regularly sell on eBay for $1 with seller paying all fees . If someone buys a fixed Westgate week , and only plans to use that week at that resort - what can they do besides have sales harass you .

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If someone buys a fixed Westgate week , and only plans to use that week at that resort - what can they do besides have sales harass you .

That's true, but the OP said they wanted to exchange around, and even if one loved the fixed week at the resort and bought it, then they would be the ones having to pay some other poor schmuck to take it off their hands someday.

It's just not worth getting in cahoots with Wastegate. EVER.

Jim

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
That's true, but the OP said they wanted to exchange around, and even if one loved the fixed week at the resort and bought it, then they would be the ones having to pay some other poor schmuck to take it off their hands someday.

It's just not worth getting in cahoots with Wastegate. EVER.

Jim

Jim - I do not disagree .

I was just curious what the down side is , as I see the 3 bedroom villas / fixed week / MF under $1000 seling on ebay ( for $1 ) weekly if not daily - so there are buyers.

Unless of course it is Westgate buying back there own inventory .

Designerd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarification

Hello
I wanted to clarify:
- If I buy a resale Westgate timeshare on eBay, bargain forum or from other owner; what limitations would my friend have?
- I hear that there are higher exchange fees if I would like to go to another resort?
- what are the limitations on buying a Westgate resale?

Thanks

mikeben

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Westgate both from the developer and from 3rd party resale. Westgate treats resale purchase owners as dirt. They immediately flag your account as a resale so booking becomes difficult at best if you have a float week. They constantly harass you while you are staying at the resort about "converting" to a developer week. You will pay $600 to exchange into a different westgate. The only way to buy resale is to have the current owner gift it to you as a family (long lost uncle)...then you have no problem. You still pay the owner whatever price you agree but he transfers it to you as a family member. This only works if the current owner purchased from the developer or also received it as a family member transfer.

In general Westgate is horrible but they have a few nice resorts (we own at Park City and is worth the hassles)...any other place I would rent/vrbo etc. before owning westgate. And maintenance fees just keeps climbing higher and higher.

Designerd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarification

Hello
Thanks this is what I wanted to confirm! Great info MikeBen
- I'll try to convince my friend to stay with Wyndham (Resale not affected to this extent yet)

Thanks

Last edited:

jackiepurdy

Reaction score
We own Westgate both from the developer and from 3rd party resale. Westgate treats resale purchase owners as dirt. They immediately flag your account as a resale so booking becomes difficult at best if you have a float week. They constantly harass you while you are staying at the resort about "converting" to a developer week. You will pay $600 to exchange into a different westgate. The only way to buy resale is to have the current owner gift it to you as a family (long lost uncle)...then you have no problem. You still pay the owner whatever price you agree but he transfers it to you as a family member. This only works if the current owner purchased from the developer or also received it as a family member transfer.

In general Westgate is horrible but they have a few nice resorts (we own at Park City and is worth the hassles)...any other place I would rent/vrbo etc. before owning westgate. And maintenance fees just keeps climbing higher and higher.
can you confirm if you can book in advance on the floating? above states 60 days or less. we are looking at adding another week to ours