• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tiny homes meant for displaced Maui fire survivors are sitting empty

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One would think that after a disaster such as the Lahaina fire, Maui government would be expediting the creation of housing for the fire survivors. I guess that one would be hopelessly naive.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Shucks...Paywalled...

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I wasn't paywalled.

That is such a shame that they haven't expedited building tiny homes and that - - once again - - a bunch of bureaucrats (both elected and unelected) are dragging their feet. But when you think of the way the fire started, the lack of fire fighters on site, the lack of water on site, etc. perhaps this recent article shouldn't be a surprise.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Shucks...Paywalled...
Try right-clicking on the link, then choose to open in a private window. That will get around many, but not all, paywalls.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Try right-clicking on the link, then choose to open in a private window. That will get around many, but not all, paywalls.
I did that, and it let me read the first couple paragraphs, but then hit me with the wall again.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I did that, and it let me read the first couple paragraphs, but then hit me with the wall again.
Seattle Times usually allows a certain number of free articles per month. Paywall hits when you exceed the limit for the month.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We have seen the tiny homes here on Maui. They look like the song, "They are all made out of ticky-tacky and they all look just the same."

More people are leaving the island permanently for lack of housing, lack of jobs, and more importantly, high prices of everything. That is what we have heard from locals (people who maintain Hono Koa). Sad.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
I wasn't paywalled.

That is such a shame that they haven't expedited building tiny homes and that - - once again - - a bunch of bureaucrats (both elected and unelected) are dragging their feet. But when you think of the way the fire started, the lack of fire fighters on site, the lack of water on site, etc. perhaps this recent article shouldn't be a surprise.
I visit HI 2 or 3x/yr, but nothing about lousy, incompetent govt in HI should be a surprise. Even moreso than in most places. And that goes 2x for Maui.
They get what they vote for.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I wasn't paywalled.

I think it's the same every where. Officials do what their paying constituents want for the most part.

Bill

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
More smoke, mirrors and double speak from those bureaucrats than at a timeshare sales meeting.