• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Redweek warning on Worldmark rentals [ 2 threads merged ]

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see that Redweek is placing the following warning for Worldmark rentals. I thought that its ok to rent out Worldmark weeks if you use the guest certificate. Can someone clarify what the situation is nowadays?

Wyndham has imposed restrictions on rentals at certain resorts and dates - their policies are unclear and continually changing.
Until Wyndham reverses these unfair policies, we will not be verifying known restricted rentals. We are doing our best to remove rentals as they're added to the list.
Please be aware if you are booking restricted dates, the rental may be canceled.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The link takes me to a Club Wyndham page. If the resorts are both in Wyndham and Worldmark, do you know if the same policy applies to both systems?

I couldn't find a similar page on my Worldmark account (I'm definitely no expert and could have missed it). The closest that I found was this page about special events and holidays.

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with geist1223. There are no restricted dates for rentals via WorldMark. Redweek has placed a "warning" on every WorldMark rental, and it does not apply.
I posted the same alert on WMOwners.com yesterday.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
1. Redweek added a link to the Wyndham restrictions on rentals for Wyndham owners to my rentals and warn that the rental could be cancelled. RW will not list anything Wyndham manages as verified/protected at this point in time. This is the warning on my Peacock Suites ad, which I booked with Shell Points:

1712327034935.png

2. The same warning is on my Kauai Coast at the Beachboy, which is Shell. I will have to cancel this one very soon. I have to put this into my ads:

1712327300864.png

3. This is added to my verified/ protected ad for Westin Ka'anapali. There is no $88 fee for housekeeping, and there is no way our oceanfront center would have an obstructed view, unless you are talking about palm trees, and the bed sizes do not vary. Not only that, but I asked when I listed my week to have them include in the context of the ad that the weeks are oceanfront center and have a balcony with chairs and not the french balcony. RW didn't add the center oceanfront wording to one of my ads.

1712327476534.png

These disclaimers and warnings are hurting timeshare owners. I am glad these warnings are not included on go-koala.com or TUG ads. I hope my weeks rent through RW, since I paid $59 for verify/ protect, but if they rent through Koala or TUG, what a thrill that would be!

RENTER

Reaction score
1. Redweek added a link to the Wyndham restrictions on rentals for Wyndham owners to my rentals and warn that the rental could be cancelled. RW will not list anything Wyndham manages as verified/protected at this point in time. This is the warning on my Peacock Suites ad, which I booked with Shell Points:

View attachment 90639
2. The same warning is on my Kauai Coast at the Beachboy, which is Shell. I will have to cancel this one very soon. I have to put this into my ads:

View attachment 90640

3. This is added to my verified/ protected ad for Westin Ka'anapali. There is no $88 fee for housekeeping, and there is no way our oceanfront center would have an obstructed view, unless you are talking about palm trees, and the bed sizes do not vary. Not only that, but I asked when I listed my week to have them include in the context of the ad that the weeks are oceanfront center and have a balcony with chairs and not the french balcony. RW didn't add the center oceanfront wording to one of my ads.

View attachment 90641
These disclaimers and warnings are hurting timeshare owners. I am glad these warnings are not included on go-koala.com or TUG ads. I hope my weeks rent through RW, since I paid $59 for verify/ protect, but if they rent through Koala or TUG, what a thrill that would be!
in your adds tell them to search Wyndham Owner Priority and tell them those are the dates that have the restrictions at that resort. It helps calm nerves. Also explain that Wyndham can make changes to that list but it is usually rare and it is usually during the most popular times. But most of the changes that do occur when they remove dates from the list.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's ridiculous that they're adding stuff to the ads that you can't remove. But this is typical for Redweek to do things without prior notification.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen some reports of renters having Bonnet Creek reservations canceled at the last minute.

Renters who get burned by unscrupulous or ignorant renters are going to blame Redweek.

It sounds like it has happened enough where Redweek felt the need to do something to protect renters, and itself, from bad behavior.

Reactions: Tia

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have seen some reports of renters having Bonnet Creek reservations canceled at the last minute.

Renters who get burned by unscrupulous or ignorant renters are going to blame Redweek.

It sounds like it has happened enough where Redweek felt the need to do something to protect renters, and itself, from bad behavior.
I explained that we own Shell points, not Wyndham, and Wyndham cannot take away our rental rights. I don't rent Wyndham reservations, I just rent Peacock Suites, Kauai Coast at the Beach Boy and Little Sweden.

What I was told is that more resorts were going to have these warnings added. I have Dolphin's Cove advertised and haven't checked the ad yet. I need to check it. It's WorldMark and also has no such rules.

Historically, I have had all of my Peacock Suites rented for summer by now, yet these warnings and the link to the Wyndham policy, is hurting me directly. I rent for my cost. I had to cancel some already because I get penalized if I don't cancel 60+ days before the start date (by Shell).

TUG will be getting a lot of these rentals after what Redweek has done to me. I have them listed on go-koala.com as well. But TUG ad credits will be used from this day forward.

Tired of fighting with RW over these issues.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
So a Wyndham owner booking at Club Wyndham Peacock Suites must abide by Wyndham Owner Priority restrictions -- but you don't have to because you are a Shell owner and don't have the same rules for booking and renting Club Wyndham Peacock Suites.

Therefore a Shell owner renting out Club Wyndham Peacock Suites shouldn't have the same Redweek disclaimer as a Club Wyndham owner renting it.

What I take from all of this is that Wyndham has done a great job of poisoning the rental market with its restrictions. They are far more effective than what I thought they would be.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
So a Wyndham owner booking at Club Wyndham Peacock Suites must abide by Wyndham Owner Priority restrictions -- but you don't have to because you are a Shell owner and don't have the same rules for booking and renting Club Wyndham Peacock Suites.

Therefore a Shell owner renting out Club Wyndham Peacock Suites shouldn't have the same Redweek disclaimer as a Club Wyndham owner renting it.

What I take from all of this is that Wyndham has done a great job of poisoning the rental market with its restrictions. They are far more effective than what I thought they would be.
I don’t believe that those suites are Club Wyndham - they’re still Shell Vacation Club suites, as long as there are still SVC owners there. Even Extra Holidays doesn’t put the Club Wyndham on the name.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t believe that those suites are Club Wyndham - they’re still Shell Vacation Club suites, as long as there are still SVC owners there. Even Extra Holidays doesn’t put the Club Wyndham on the name.
I have never had this much trouble renting my Peacock Suites for my cost. Now I am forced to cancel reservations due to the disclaimer. Redweek and Wyndham have hurt me with my Peacock Suites that are SHELL Points, not Wyndham points. I have TUG classifieds and can try My Resort Network again. Koala has no problem taking my confirmations from Shell. There are some smart people on Koala that know timeshare.

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep happening at Margarita Ville in St Thomas and Lime Tree STT too belive.
Lost of posts about last minute cancelations for the first, then scrambling to find something.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep happening at Margarita Ville in St Thomas and Lime Tree STT too belive.
Lost of posts about last minute cancelations for the first, then scrambling to find something.
Yes, but these points are not Wyndham. These are Shell points with no rental restrictions.

Wyndham took over management of Shell but cannot impose rules on Shell members who owned long before the switch to Wyndham. Same thing with WorldMark, which many TUG members own and will defend their right to rent. Shell members are few and far between on TUG. It's not a big system. If you love Disneyland (we do) and you love Door County or Napa Valley, it's a great system to own because inventory is easy to book at 7-12 months out.

The thing that happened in summer of 2022 was equally frustrating with Wyndham/Shell. I added guest names to reservations for Peacock Suites with a phone call to Shell (the Shell website is terrible and doesn't allow any name changes), and the resort didn't get the name on their end because Wyndham has a system and Shell has a system, and the two systems don't communicate. I found out that the front desk has to be called as well, and even though a guest has been added by Shell, the resort told me that the renter has to say my name to check-in because I am the lead person on the reservation.

I rented all of those reservations through go-koala.com and had to communicate this information to Koala for all of the confirmations. Fortunately, Koala has no problem communicating with renters and does so in a timely fashion, which was good because I didn't get any complaints from any of my renters.

I have listed a few with Koala but have yet to rent them for 2024. I cancelled some that were just outside of 60 days.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but these points are not Wyndham. These are Shell points with no rental restrictions.

Wyndham took over management of Shell but cannot impose rules on Shell members who owned long before the switch to Wyndham. Same thing with WorldMark, which many TUG members own and will defend their right to rent. Shell members are few and far between on TUG. It's not a big system. If you love Disneyland (we do) and you love Door County or Napa Valley, it's a great system to own because inventory is easy to book at 7-12 months out.

The thing that happened in summer of 2022 was equally frustrating with Wyndham/Shell. I added guest names to reservations for Peacock Suites with a phone call to Shell (the Shell website is terrible and doesn't allow any name changes), and the resort didn't get the name on their end because Wyndham has a system and Shell has a system, and the two systems don't communicate. I found out that the front desk has to be called as well, and even though a guest has been added by Shell, the resort told me that the renter has to say my name to check-in because I am the lead person on the reservation.

I rented all of those reservations through go-koala.com and had to communicate this information to Koala for all of the confirmations. Fortunately, Koala has no problem communicating with renters and does so in a timely fashion, which was good because I didn't get any complaints from any of my renters.

I have listed a few with Koala but have yet to rent them for 2024. I cancelled some that were just outside of 60 days.
Most People don't understand the difference, they know what resorts have had Wyndham cancellations so do not trust them. Redweek is flagging your ads with incorrect information then since it doesn't apply?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most People don't understand the difference, they know what resorts have had Wyndham cancellations so do not trust them. Redweek is flagging your ads with incorrect information then since it doesn't apply?
Yes, they are adding language that doesn't apply to my rentals because they are not with Wyndham points.

Should this happen to WorldMark rentals, you will see the stuff hit the fan on TUG because a lot of WorldMark renters are TUG members. WorldMark is also managed by Wyndham.

RW doesn't listen to reason and the information added to the ads is non-negotiable.

Reactions: Tia

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
This is similar to what happened with my Kona Coast rental, except that RedWeek cancelled my ad completely without talking to me. I won’t rent with them again.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with geist1223. There are no restricted dates for rentals via WorldMark. Redweek has placed a "warning" on every WorldMark rental, and it does not apply.
I posted the same alert on WMOwners.com yesterday.
This is happening to Shell and WorldMark owners now. Redweek has no common sense because the company has exploded into this giant entity with no one really looking at individual anything to see the difference between Shell and Wyndham/ WorldMark and Wyndham.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem is, the bigger a company gets the harder it is to make them change policies. Redweek really has very little competition in the marketplace right now. So they can almost do as they choose.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@HudsHut This is ridiculous for Redweek not to make exceptions.

We can add language in our ads all we want, but renters are going to be turned away by these warnings. I am going to stop advertising on RW. I wish more people knew about Koala.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I listed a unit on airbnb for rent. Before airbnb, would list it, it had to go through Wyndham for approval. Eventually the listing worked, but it seems like they are laying the groundwork to make renting more difficult.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that on the Westin Ka'anapali ads, Redweek is putting an alert about the fire in Lahaina!

"Wildfire Update: As Lahaina continues to recover from the 2023 wildfires, local attractions and businesses may be impacted."

To the average tourist, this plants the thought that the Ka'anapali resorts were in the middle of the fire; the average tourist looks at the address of the resorts, sees "Lahaina" and is worried about renting there.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I noticed yesterday that on the Westin Ka'anapali ads, Redweek is putting an alert about the fire in Lahaina!

"Wildfire Update: As Lahaina continues to recover from the 2023 wildfires, local attractions and businesses may be impacted."

To the average tourist, this plants the thought that the Ka'anapali resorts were in the middle of the fire; the average tourist looks at the address of the resorts, sees "Lahaina" and is worried about renting there.
And I just listed three weeks with them for whale season 2025. I hope Koala gets these units rented because RW is hurting timeshare owners with this bad information.

RENTER

Reaction score
I listed a unit on airbnb for rent. Before airbnb, would list it, it had to go through Wyndham for approval. Eventually the listing worked, but it seems like they are laying the groundwork to make renting more difficult.
So far I have not heard of anyone having problems. They are confirming you are an owner and not one of the commercial establishments.